MB'09 - Pablo Sandoval, 1B/3B, SF

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

MB'09 - Pablo Sandoval, 1B/3B, SF

#1 Post by Bodhizefa »

The 2K series is an exercise on yearly player discussion that originated over on the RotoJunkie boards, and it's something I feel is absolutely a worthwhile endeavor to explore here as well. Because I feel like the name of the 2K series is something that should stick to RotoJunkie, I'm tentatively titling them the MB series over here (after Mastersball, of course), but am completely open to renaming them something cooler if a name can be found. Anyone can start an MB'09 thread, and the only request is that you put the MB'09 title in your subject line before the player so we can keep track of them. So on to business...

Sandoval is an interesting play in '09 as he is going to be eligible at 1st base initially as well as 3rd base down the line (and possibly catcher for leagues with less stringent positional requirements). As a catcher, Sandoval is almost certainly a top 20 pick as he's currently slotted to play everyday and bat third. Things change with youngsters in terms of batting order all the time, but it speaks volumes as to how the organization views his bat that they're finding not only a full-time position for him but also pre-emptively saying he's good enough to hit third in the big leagues with so few AB's under his belt. And I'm apt to agree with the Giants on that hitting ability. Sandoval has had excellent contact rates and batting averages in the minors, and there's nothing to suggest he can't continue that skill in the big leagues. He'll hit a wall at some point, and he'll need to learn to adjust along with big league pitchers, but his basic high batting average skillset is something that is quite translatable to the big leagues. How much power will he have? That's the real question, as I could see him going for 7-10 homers in '09 with a projection for more power in the future. I'd bank on the low end right now, and anything else would be gravy. Also, while batting in the middle of the line-up and playing a position that allows for more games played than catcher, Sandoval should have access to a boost in RBI and Runs that normal catcher eligible players don't see. Still, even if he's not a catcher in your league, Sandoval could be a solid bat for a late reserve round pick with some very good eligibility down the line. He's someone I'd watch out for on the cheap.
Last edited by Bodhizefa on January 16th, 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: MB'09 - Pablo Sandoval

#2 Post by viper »

I'm not sure why you say he will be eligible at 1B. He played 41 games at several position but not 20 at any position. He will start as a DH/UT only in most leagues and then get other eligibility as the season progresses depending on that league's PT rules.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

The original rule book eligibility would have him at 1B. This is taken from the Constitution we use in Tout Wars:

A player may be assigned to any position at which he appeared at least 20 times in the major leagues in the preceding season. If a player did not appear in 20 games at any position, he may be drafted only at the position at which he appeared most frequently
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by SteveB »

Bodhizefa wrote: Sandoval could be a solid bat for a late reserve round pick with some very good eligibility down the line. He's someone I'd watch out for on the cheap.

I made the mistake of jumping the gun on him in my first draft this year taking him in the 12th round. I think he will probably earn in the 12th round but should have waited a few rounds longer to maximize. I was near the end and knew that with 25 players flying off boards before i went again I would probbaly not get him back so decided to take the plunge and at least enjoy watching him live quite a bit.

The problem is in a subsequent draft he again went in the 12th round (and not me) i was purposely holding off i wanted to see where he fell. I am real curious where his ADP falls in as we get closer to season starting.

I agree about the upside and am excited as a Giants fan. Watching this guy play is a treat , he plays with enthusium and literally pulls up those around him and seems to make things happen.

However depsite my enthusium i think his hype train has started rolling and that he may well go far earlier in drafts and for more in auctions than i think warrants at this point.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: MB'09 - Pablo Sandoval, 1B/3B, SF

#5 Post by viper »

my NL only league requires 20 games at the draft so he would have to be a UT. However, it requires just one game during the season. As a catcher, he has lots of value. One game behind the plate gives him value. I guess he would get it sometime in April. Any reason to think differently?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Sandoval is scheduled to be the every day third baseman -- so while he may get a game or two, he will be the equivalent of a 3rd catcher - I would not draft him EXPECTING catcher eligibility.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

Todd Zola wrote:Sandoval is scheduled to be the every day third baseman -- so while he may get a game or two, he will be the equivalent of a 3rd catcher - I would not draft him EXPECTING catcher eligibility.

Right now Sandoval is "probably" going to play 3B. However the giants have made it clear if they pick up a 3B man like Atkins, Crede he could be switched to first. This winter he played almost all his innings at first which i find interesting. With the emergence of minor league free agent Jesus Guzman at thirdbase it would not surprise me if he made the squad out of spring training assuming they dont pick up a 3B. I know after reading about Guzman's accomplishments the local radio shows are buzzing with getting them both in the lineup.

As for catching he is currently slated as the back up to Molina and Sabean said on the radio he would not be likely to carry a third C. So I could very easily see him getting 1 game quickly.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

Thanks Steve, my info was different. I knew about the 1B part, but it was indicated to me catching would be 'emergency only'.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by SteveB »

Just a quick update on something i just read...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 15P5UN.DTL

They talked about carrying 3 catchers at fan fest this morning.

Personally i dont see that happening look at the make up of the team assuming nothing changes

C-Molina
1B-Ishakawa
2B-Burriss
SS-Renteria
3B-Sandoval
OF-Winn
OF-Lewis
OF-Rowand
S1-Lincecum
S2-Cain
S3-Johnson
S4-Sanchez
S5-Zito
RP-Wilson

this leaves 11 spots to fill in on the 25 man roster
staring with the P's

Lowry--reportedly 100% healthy and ready to go
Affeldt--just signed
Howry--just signed
Taschner--worked out arbitration deal

this leaves 7 reserve spots..some of these could rotate in for starters in the case
of 1B, 3B, 2B as I am not sure they honestly know what to do right now there.

MI- Kevin Frandsen plays 3B and 2B (fan and team favorite fought back hard to play in th elast game last year and got a standing ovation)
Velez--this guy is fast and not only played 2b, 3b, SS, but in the OF as well
OF- Dave Roberts--getting almost 8 million this year dont see him being just released and who would want him in trade?
OF-Nate Schierholz--a player that deserves more PT with older OF may get some. Another fan favorite here and out of options i beleive

This gives 3 spots left and again these can change as we get closer to season....
Roster above is already at 10 Ps and all these guys were on the roster at some point last year
ALex Hinshaw
Sergio Romo
Pat Misch
Merkin Valdez
Keichhi Yabu

plus rookies
Henry Sosa
Kelvin Picardo
(5 young SP who i dont think get a csll without injuries or trades)

of these I have a hard time sending Hinshaw and Romo down. Valdez will probably start season on INJ.
I am sure player options wil play a big part of these decisions. The point being at LEAST 1 and probbaly 2 are making the cut.

leaving one spot

they signed Juan Uribe, winter phenom Jesus Guzman. plus rumours of Crede,Aurilia still circulate.

I guess the point is I dont see them carrying Steve Holm over some of these players still a lot of time to season starting but just wanted to be clear
while i think Sandoval will get C status at some point this year I am not as sure as i was just a couple of months ago.

50 Desert Eagles

#10 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I just read a blurp that he will start at 3B, if he has any issues in Spring, he will be moved to 1B......

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#11 Post by SteveB »

yeah he is not playing in the WBC so he can work on his defense is how the story goes.

i wouold envision him getting C status at some point as a late inning replacement for Molina. Which is why if they dont carry another C besides Sandoval
i think he gets it for sure.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

SteveB wrote:yeah he is not playing in the WBC so he can work on his defense is how the story goes.

i wouold envision him getting C status at some point as a late inning replacement for Molina. Which is why if they dont carry another C besides Sandoval
i think he gets it for sure.
See Steve, I look at that statement and say that's exactly why Holm makes the team and that the Giants are going north with three catchers. Since no manager puts both of his catchers on the field at the same time, Sandoval stays nailed to the bench on days he doesn't start as catcher and they can't afford that. Plus, having only two catchers will retard any progress he'll need to make as a fielder.

The current Giants roster has an odd make up - they don't have a 3B on their 25 man roster but three middle infielders right now. I have a tough time believing that the Giants would go north with no one who has so much as an inning's experience at third if Sandoval is named the third baseman. That almost guarantees to me that Aurilla or Crede is in their future - which means it's Bowker and Ishakawa at 1st again? You're gonna be sighting your Sabean scope again.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

I just reworked the playing time for the Giants after signing Aurilia and I guess I am stubborn, I am giving Holm second catcher at bats and assuming Sandoval gets 3rd string AB.

While I am personally going to target Fransden in deep NL-only as someone that might earn more playing time, I have Burriss with more AB and am cutting a lot from Velez. With the signing of Aurilia, and my assumption of Holm being on the roster, I can't see them carrying all 3 of Burriss, Velez and Fransden.

Of course, spring training trends may alter this, but on Feb 11, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.