Reserve Positions & CRVC

Ask questions or post comments concerning the CVRC, START or the Team and Player Tracker
prhood
High-A

Reserve Positions & CRVC

#1 Post by prhood »

How do I configure the CRVC for leagues that provide rather large reserve positions (5-10 positions)?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Reserve Positions & CRVC

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

prhood wrote:How do I configure the CRVC for leagues that provide rather large reserve positions (5-10 positions)?
Can you please be more specific?

Do you use auction budget to pay for reserves?

If yes, how much does the league normally spend on reserves and how much do you spend?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

prhood
High-A

#3 Post by prhood »

We use auction dollars to acquire the reserves and, since we operate with daily transactions, our reserves (7) will cover the spectrum. Since we have active only 9 hitters and 9 pitchers, I am inclined to add a fictions mi, CI and UT plus 4 pitchers. Every team however does something different and I am not sure there is a generic mo.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Ok -- getting there. What's the size (#teams) and I assume mixed?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

prhood
High-A

#5 Post by prhood »

12 teams, mixed, standard 5x5 roto categories.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

The answer you don't want to hear is in a league that shallow, values are almost irrelevant, especially is there is an active waiver wire. I'd go stars and scrubs and set lines for my budget and not even worry about the perceived value. I'd decide which stars I wanted to put on the top lines and just do it.

As an example, let's use a $260 budget. My strategy would be to spend $1 on each reserve since I am likely going to replace them anyway.

That leaves 253 for my 18 players.

I'd probably do something like

H1 40
H2 35
H3 30
H4 30
H5 20
H6 20
H7 1
H8 1
H9 1

P1 25
P2 20
P3 15
P4 10 (cl)
P5 1
P6 1
P7 1
P8 1
P9 1

I's get a $1C and $1OF for sure. Maybe $1UT if you use one.

Then I'd go with the flow and let the market dictate my byes.

For a very rough guideline, I'd set the HITCVRV to $253 budget, 12 C and 96 OF use TWO POOLS with a 69/31 split.

I don't think I'd use the numbers verbatim since they will be really high.

I may opt to but Trout or Cutch regardless of price and assuming they go over $40, then take away money from another line. So if they go $55, I but him and take $15 from the spots H3-H6 -- could be $5 each, could be all $15 for one, doesn't matter.

The main point is in such a shallow league, you're going to be picking up useful players all season that give you profit, so you can afford to take a hit up top to get a foundation player like Trout or Cutch.

prhood
High-A

#7 Post by prhood »

I probably have been following something similar to this. Unfortunately there are 3 pr 4 other guys doing exactly the same thing. It can get pricy for the top guys. We have a minor roster and the season following the loss of RoY eligibility we can roster them for $1. Factoring in keepers and inflation becomes fierce. But that's another story.

My real purpose here is to look at possible keeper vales for 2014 and to see which players are more valuable as trade bait and which represent good values.

Thanks for the help.