Auction Post Mortem

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
cwk1963

Auction Post Mortem

#1 Post by cwk1963 »

Standard rosters and categories with K/9 replacing K; 16 teams; $260 auction cap; $310 in season cap. League rules state that any kept player can be DL'd and someone acquired in the auction to replace them but their salary counts towards the $260 auction cap. So I DL Duchscherer ($5) and Baker ($1) which left me $127 for 15 players. The order I bought them:

Mariano Rivera ($24) - First player tossed out. He was on the Papelbon list and I budgeted $25 for one of them.
Grady Sizemore ($44) - 2nd but of first 7. In between was Jose Reyes (47), Hanley Ramirez (47), David Wright (46), Arod (36) and Santana (41). I would not buy another player until 56 more had gone off the board.
Brad Hawpe ($14)
Magglio Ordonez ($18) - The plan was to spend this $32 on MI but when the bidding slowed on these guys I jumped in and got them at nice bargains.
Akinori Iwamura ($3) - My Brandon Phillips plan evaporated when he went for $27 (which I could have kept him at) after bidding him up and after spending $32 on the last 2 OF so I had to go to plan B.
Ted Lilly ($8) - I was hoping to spend around $10-$12 on Vazquez, Cain, King Felix or Harang type but they went for $5-$7 more.
Yadier Molina ($4) - Satisfied with my 2nd C.
John Smoltz ($5)
Bronson Arroyo ($2) - Pickings were getting kind of slim for SP. Got these 2 back to back.
Mike Fontenot ($3) - 2/3 of my MI taken care of. $3 CVRC profit.
Andy Pettitte ($2) - Should get plenty of wins.
Mike Lowell ($1) - Hopefully he comes back healthy.
Randy Winn ($2) - Had my eye on him and was very pleased to fill DH with him.
Takashi Saito ($1) - Rounding out my pitching staff and taking care of WHIP and ERA.
Yuniesky Betancourt ($1) - He was the best MI left and I was in a bind with 2 other teams needing a MI. If I tossed out someone else I as taking the chance nobody said $2. The only chance I had in getting him was tossing him out now and crossing my fingers. I sweated out the 'going once, going twice'.

Entire team (keepers in red)

C - Laird $2, Y. Molina $4
CI - Texeira $35, Youkilis $16, Lowell $1
MI - Iwamura $3, Fontenot $3, Betancourt $1
OF - Bay $21, Ibanez $10, Sizemore $44, Hawpe $14, Ordonez $18
DH - Winn $2
P - Liriano $13, Gallardo $15, Lilly $8, Smoltz $5, Arroyo $2, Pettitte $2, Saito $1, Rivera $24, Francisco $10
Bench - Wellemeyer $1, Betemit $1, Feliz $1
DL - Baker $1, Duchscherer $5

I went in with the Papelbon and MI Plan. There were only 3 Papelbon closers in the auction. I jumped at Mo at $24 and got one of the bargains of the auction with Papelbon costing $36 and Nathan $33. I couldn't get a top level MI (I wanted Phillips) because they were costing too much and I couldn't pass on Hawpe at $14 and Magglio at $18. I took Lord Zola's advice and didn't aim for targets but rather took what the auction presented me and managed my budget. As a result, I am light on SB (which I realized during the auction) because I didn't chase them when I saw they were costing too much and decided to maximize other areas and trade for them later. The strategy worked out very well and I was very pleased. With the projections entered in RotoLab (START won't work with K/9) I project for 1st by 15 points. All I need to do is manage it to 1st now.