Wandy killed me tonight. Cut bait?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Wandy killed me tonight. Cut bait?

#1 Post by CT Wahoo »

He had two very good outings earlier, but can't help but think I'm going to have a hard time trusting him in my lineup now. Am I overreacting or should I look to swap him out with someone on waivers? He's my 6th SP (already have Strasburg, Lee, Peavy, Fister and Bailey), but wins have been hard to come by lately and I'm not comfortable dropping down to 5 SP. Best available on waivers are:

Dan Haren
Jose Fernandez
Bartolo Colon
Jarrod Parker
Jhoulys Chacin
Tommy Hanson

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Wandy killed me tonight. Cut bait?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Wandy is what he is - you put him in there, the good outweighs the bad and at the end you have the numbers you need.

That said, I might switch for Colon until Colon gets hurt.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

Would streaming Hammel (or Maurer) and Cashner in the meanti

#3 Post by CT Wahoo »

be a bad move? Since my ERA and WHIP are already in the tank for the week, I was thinking I could try to fish for wins by dropping Wandy and plugging in Hammel against the Mariners tonight and then immediately dropping him for Cashner against the Cubs tomorrow. I could then either keep Cashner for his next starts in Week 6 against Miami and Tampa or dump him for Colon against the Yankees later in Week 5.

Alternatively, Maurer is also available for tonight's game if I want to go down this road. Or, do you think I'm better off forgetting altogether about streaming?

Thanks so much for the earlier response.

Captain Hook

Re: Would streaming Hammel (or Maurer) and Cashner in the meanti

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

CT Wahoo wrote:be a bad move? Since my ERA and WHIP are already in the tank for the week, I was thinking I could try to fish for wins by dropping Wandy and plugging in Hammel against the Mariners tonight and then immediately dropping him for Cashner against the Cubs tomorrow. I could then either keep Cashner for his next starts in Week 6 against Miami and Tampa or dump him for Colon against the Yankees later in Week 5.

Alternatively, Maurer is also available for tonight's game if I want to go down this road. Or, do you think I'm better off forgetting altogether about streaming?

Thanks so much for the earlier response.
Certainly if you have daily transactions (bad form of the game IMO) streaming is a good way to go and Hammel/Cashner looks like a good idea. In a shallow league like yours must be for those pitchers to be available you should use that to your advantage

CT Wahoo
Major League Regular

#5 Post by CT Wahoo »

Thanks Perry. We are limited to four add/drops during any single week, so we can't go too nuts. But, in general, I agree with you and am not a fan of the format. That being said, I can't seem to buy a win to save my life lately so I'll see how this works.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Just a streaming heads up -- unless the road matchup is extremely lopsided, it's best to focus on home pitchers.

I know it's anecdotal but it's fresh in my mind -- so many got burned in the dailies last night by going against Joe Saunders. Given my druthers, use players at home as much as possible.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord