NFBC Satellite: How did I do?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

NFBC Satellite: How did I do?

#1 Post by shif6 »

Drafted in an NFBC satellite league last night (entered a few years ago dropping to 4th from 3d on the last day). My team is below. Any management advice? Strengths? Weaknesses? I used MB tiers with Mayberry numbers to guide balance of speed, power, and average (not sure how I do with runs). I picked 6th:1. Cargo, 2 Kinsler, 3 Ramirez, 4 Wainwright, 5 Sabathia (4 of the first five picks in the 5th round were pitchers - Sabathia was the 15th starting pitcher selected - J. Zimmerman was there, but I missed him in the rush), 6 Melky, 7 Konerko, 8 N Cruz, 9 Peavy, 10 Pierre, 11 Holland, 12 AJ Pierz, 13 Janssen, 14 Hellickson, 15 Salty, 16 Rasmus, 17 G. Jones, 18 Ruggiano, 19Murphy the Met, 20 Santos ( as a handcuff to Janssen, but will start Robertson), 21 Dempster, 22 Cozart, 23 Strailly 24 Lind 25 Colby Lewis 26 D DeJesus 27 Robertson, 28 Capuano 29 Seth Smith 30 Scott Baker

A. Pierzynski C
J. Saltalamacchia C
P. Konerko 1b
A. Lind res
D. Murphy 2b
A. Ramirez 3b
Z. Cozart ss
C. Gonzalez OF
M. Cabrera OF
C. Rasmus OF
J. Ruggiano OF
N. Cruz OF
D. DeJesus res
S. Smith res
I. Kinsler MI
G. Jones CI
J. Pierre UT
D. Robertson P
C. Sabathia P
G. Holland P
D. Straily P
A. Wainwright P
R. Dempster P
J. Hellickson P
C. Janssen P
J. Peavy P
C. Capuano res
S. Baker res
C. Lewis res
S. Santos res
Last edited by shif6 on March 28th, 2013, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: NFBC Satellite: How did I do?

#2 Post by viper »

I trust Kipnis, in the writeup, is really Kinsler, in the list of players.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

shif6
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by shif6 »

Yes, Kinsler it is. I will edit to make the change. Thanks for catching it.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

You got a decent core and I generally like the pitching staff.

Don't get married to the end of your reserve list - DeJesus, Smith, Baker - and be on the lookout for upgrades via FAAB, especially in your MI where you could use some help.

I would like to take a moment to comment on Juan Pierre, and your selection of him in the 10th Rd. I trust you may have been using the tiers/rankings - and while it is true that the speed Pierre brings gives him value - you failed to incorporate the fact that he is usually going much later in drafts. He went in the 17th and 18th rd of two recent 15 rd drafts I did. So I think you really gave away a 10th rd pick there that could have likely netted you a much more useful player.

I actually drafted him in one league as a speed boost - 12 teams - and got him in the 21st rd. So I am not slamming the pick, just the fact that sometimes you need to be conscious of ADP and/or when you need to pull the trigger on certain players. I have found that Alexie Ramirez is another player fitting this mold this year. He seems to be falling in drafts, and I seem to keep scooping him up. The flip side of this would be players whose draft price goes the other way, like a Bryce Harper.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask for input on any players you may be considering in FAAB - the first couple weeks can often give you the best bang for your buck - so you want to identify anyone who slipped through the cracks and grab.

shif6
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by shif6 »

DeansDaddy
You are right that I was using the tiers and that influenced me to pick Pierre when I did. I knew that Pierre was way down on the draft list supplied by NFBC and is 48 on the HQ outfielder list in this format, but it appeared to me, rightly or wrongly, that two of my competitors in the draft were using MB projections and in addition that by this point the ADP's had little to do with when players were being taken. You may well be right, but in this particular draft waiting looked risky to me.
By the way, I lost Aybar by waiting, and he went far higher than his placement on the draft list as he well should have. I should have snagged Jeter who went rather late. So in the end I was left with Cozart. I wanted an MI for reserve rather than a second outfielder, but I could not find anyone worthy of a reserve spot in the middle infield. But I will look to see if I missed someone.
Thanks for the comments.