Last Keeper Spot

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Last Keeper Spot

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

10 Team AL-only, $260, 5x5 but are switching to OBP (from BA) starting this year, 6 keepers/yr

I am stuck on my last keeper spot and looking for some opinions...

The two players I am torn between are:
- Brett Anderson ($1)
- Eric Hosmer ($10)

I also have the following trade possibility:
Trade Hosmer/Anderson in a 2 for 1 deal for one of the following:
- Alex Gordon ($10)
- Desmond Jennings ($8)

For reference...
- My 5 other keepers are Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Santana, Matt Moore, Addison Reed, and Greg Holland
- 1Bman being kept: Adam Dunn, Billy Butler, Chris Davis, Edwin Encarnacion, and Mark Trumbo

Thanks in advance!
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Captain Hook

Re: Last Keeper Spot

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Kelly_Leak wrote:10 Team AL-only, $260, 5x5 but are switching to OBP (from BA) starting this year, 6 keepers/yr

I am stuck on my last keeper spot and looking for some opinions...

The two players I am torn between are:
- Brett Anderson ($1)
- Eric Hosmer ($10)

I also have the following trade possibility:
Trade Hosmer/Anderson in a 2 for 1 deal for one of the following:
- Alex Gordon ($10)
- Desmond Jennings ($8)

For reference...
- My 5 other keepers are Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Santana, Matt Moore, Addison Reed, and Greg Holland
- 1Bman being kept: Adam Dunn, Billy Butler, Chris Davis, Edwin Encarnacion, and Mark Trumbo

Thanks in advance!
This is really IMO more a personal decision than a baseball decision - profit with all options so who do YOU want to root for or feel the most comfortable with

Personally I would keep both and toss Reed or Moore back BUT that is a bet on Anderson staying healthy - and the next time he does will be the first.

(ETA - I do like Jennings upside if you decide to make the trade)

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by Spread da wealth »

Agree. I'd toss Reed back. With Hosmer's expected numbers and half of the other top 1B being kept, it seems like a good idea to keep him, and then Moore + Anderson give you the chance of some strong & cheap SP.

AllstonRockCity

#4 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I would keep Reed, of course I don't know what his salary is.

I have no problem with your current keepers.

I would keep Hosmer over Anderson everyday of the week, and I am a big Anderson fan.

I would not do that trade, but if you are dying to, I would take Dez.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thanks. I excluded the other keeper salaries on purpose, as I only wanted to bring attention to my last spot...that kinda back fired on me :P

For completeness these are the 7 I am trying to fit into 6 spots (remember OBP instead of BA)...
- Miguel Cabrera ($35)
- Carlos Santana ($14)
- Matt Moore ($11)
- Eric Hosmer ($10)
- Addison Reed ($3)
- Greg Holland ($1)
- Brett Anderson ($1)

The owner I am in trade discussions with is only planning to keep 5 at this point in time (with Gordon ($10) and Jennings ($8) being his best two keepers). I realize the actual transaction is a 2 for 1, but for keeper purposes it is 1 for 1 for me...I can't carry whoever my "7th" best is anyways.

My personal ranking has changed seemingly by the minute...as of this second Reed is unlucky #7. I have asked the owner about a possible Moore OR Anderson plus Reed swap for Jennings (for me it is actually Moore OR Anderson for Jennings).

Thoughts?
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by Spread da wealth »

In my last reply I actually confused Addison Reed with Addison Russell. (I have an excuse - our draft went past midnight last night and the last thing we had was our minor league draft, though I did wonder why you were including a minor leaguer in your possible keepers. Sorry for the mixup.)

With those dollar values, why not keep both closers and be in great shape in that category? You could either toss Moore back and hope to get him for not much more or possibly pair Moore & Anderson for Jennings, depending on the available of's.

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Kelly_Leak wrote:Thanks. I excluded the other keeper salaries on purpose, as I only wanted to bring attention to my last spot...that kinda back fired on me :P

For completeness these are the 7 I am trying to fit into 6 spots (remember OBP instead of BA)...
- Miguel Cabrera ($35)
- Carlos Santana ($14)
- Matt Moore ($11)
- Eric Hosmer ($10)
- Addison Reed ($3)
- Greg Holland ($1)
- Brett Anderson ($1)

The owner I am in trade discussions with is only planning to keep 5 at this point in time (with Gordon ($10) and Jennings ($8) being his best two keepers). I realize the actual transaction is a 2 for 1, but for keeper purposes it is 1 for 1 for me...I can't carry whoever my "7th" best is anyways.

My personal ranking has changed seemingly by the minute...as of this second Reed is unlucky #7. I have asked the owner about a possible Moore OR Anderson plus Reed swap for Jennings (for me it is actually Moore OR Anderson for Jennings).

Thoughts?
Personally, I would view it like this:
Reed, Holland, Miggy and Carlos are in, leaving the following 3 for 2 spots:
Anderson
Moore
Hosmer

While Anderson is the cheapest, his injury history can't be ignored. He's just too risky to keep IMHO. Now, if you had Verlander and Darvish to go with Anderson, that would be different, but I wouldn't want to keep him if I HAD to rely on him. For me, he's gravy, or frosting, or demiglaze.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Wow ... Kelly Leak contemplating a deal for Alex Gordon .... whodathunkit? Just adopt him and get it over with already :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, folks... Anderson is an excellent $1 gamble ...for someone else .... his IP totals are a straight arrow heading south. Let someone else get the idea they are fleecing you by taking him off your hands. Keeping Matt Moore at $11 is risky because he seems to be in the early stages of Jonathan Sanchez Disease (aside - can you BELIEVE that clown has ANOTHER starter's gig? Doesn't ANYONE in MLB actually watch him pitch?). I'd keep Reed at 3 and let two potential "gems" be taken off your hands for Desmond Jennings.

No matter how it goes, good luck old sport.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thanks everyone!

DBK - was hoping you'd see this post! Alex Gordon...I just can't quit you, baby!