Mastersball Fantasy Forum

A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently April 16th, 2014, 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big pop for Big Tex
PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 7:41 am 
Hall of Famer

Obviously, this is early as test results have not come in yet, but with opening day less than 4 weeks away, the pop Mark Teixeira felt in his wrist is going to be a problem. I don't think its a stretch to assume that he will open the year on the DL.

Now, the fun part. How will they replace him?

First off, let me say that there is no way they can replace his bat in that lineup. However, someone is going to have to stand next to 1st base and step into the batter's box when their turn comes. But, they have a couple options:
- Assuming Tex is on the DL come opening day Dan Johnson, Matt Diaz, Juan Rivera and someone else are all going to make this team.
-Dan Johnson and Juan Rivera seem an easy fix as they can play 1B, but is the other D.J. the everyday answer? I think not.
-Also, with Granderson out, I'm sure the brass were envisioning a River/Diaz platoon until the Grandy-man returned.
-Youk could move from 3B to 1B and Eduardo Nunez could handle the hot corner
-More likely than not, its going to be a combination of all of the above that leaves us with:

D.J., Rivera, Nunez and Diaz all getting more ABs than were originally projected. Nunez would pick up some extra eligibility as well. If the Yankees decide against starting the year with 13 pitchers, who else makes the team? Melky Mesa?

Big time issues in the big apple. Other than Cano, this was the 1 injury NY really needed to avoid.

Again, this is way early, but since we are only going to be lied to between now and Opening Day, I thought it might be fun and helpful, to get a consensus on how we all think this will shake out.

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

Post subject: Re: Big pop for Big Tex
PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 11:14 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5X5 both keeper and redraft
Unless there is something major beyond the strain they won't have to replace him

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 1:18 pm 
Hall of Famer

Time will tell, but MRI's aren't free and Cashman is "very concerned".

I've never heard of a player "feeling a pop" in his wrist and it not being something major. Soreness is one thing, a "pop" is another animal altogether.

"To know" is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. - Confucius

It goes to show you don't ever know. Watch each card you play and play it slow - Garcia/Hunter

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 3:47 pm 
Low-A

why wouldn't cashman be concerned? all you have to do is view that cashman interview last night to see that his 13,600 foot fall from grace was funny. look, the yankee dynasty of sorts is definitely on it's last "LEG". and, if you really want to be funny it would be considered an "arm and a leg". yeah, grandyman's forearm and the rest of the walking wounded.

anywho, i noticed that we have a breakdown of possible replacements for TEX if happens to be out for a length of time, still i wouldn't "fantasize" too much with either scenario. also, the yankees won't move NUNEZ or YOUK from their appointed positions this yr. and, the other conglomerate of non-fantasy GODS are not relevant especially if you have consortium of "stiffs" manning FIRST BASE.

MJP

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 4:57 pm 
Hall of Famer

8-10 weeks on the shelf

Time to cut Cano's R and RBI

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 5:37 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5X5 both keeper and redraft
:D Bump up Juan Rivera

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 6:34 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5x5 NFBC style
Time for the Indians to offer them Jason Giambi for a box of baseballs :lol:

Seriously though - Youkilis to 1B and Nunez to 3B seems the best solution - With Rivera covering LF til Granderson comes back.

twitter : @ryanpcarey https://twitter.com/#!/ryanpcarey

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 7:03 pm 
Hall of Famer

deansdaddy wrote:
Time for the Indians to offer them Jason Giambi for a box of baseballs :lol:

Seriously though - Youkilis to 1B and Nunez to 3B seems the best solution - With Rivera covering LF til Granderson comes back.

+1

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 9:48 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction
Todd Zola wrote:
8-10 weeks on the shelf

The wins for Yankees starters might be affected as well due to fewer runs being scored.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 9:56 pm 
Hall of Famer

aburt19 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:
8-10 weeks on the shelf

The wins for Yankees starters might be affected as well due to fewer runs being scored.

Thought about this -- still thinking.

I usually base the Pythag on a weighted average of runs and then make an adjustment when projections are stable and use projected runs -- but this season I'm carrying a few extra players per team to help those in the NFBC Draft Champions competition. This is an issue since the runs scored could be summed automatically but that would now include the extra players.

I may do the math by hand -- still thinking about it.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord