J.Upton

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.

Moderator: Mastersball Staff

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Posts: 347
Joined: January 4th, 2010, 10:39 am
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

J.Upton

#1 Post by Black Sox » January 10th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Diamondbacks | Justin Upton rejects trade
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:31:39 -0800

The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to a deal with the Seattle Mariners that would have sent OF Justin Upton to the Mariners, but Upton rejected the trade since the Mariners were on his no-trade list. The Diamondbacks would have received a package of young talent from Seattle.


All have to say to that is.... well played sir, well played :lol: for further proof see Beltre, Adrian
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

User avatar
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1527
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 12:09 am
Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions

Re: J.Upton

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 » January 10th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Black Sox wrote:Diamondbacks | Justin Upton rejects trade
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:31:39 -0800

The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to a deal with the Seattle Mariners that would have sent OF Justin Upton to the Mariners, but Upton rejected the trade since the Mariners were on his no-trade list. The Diamondbacks would have received a package of young talent from Seattle.


All have to say to that is.... well played sir, well played :lol: for further proof see Beltre, Adrian
That's one way of looking at it ....another may be ; "Here's your new address, Mr. Kubel. We assume Mr. Upton really wanted to stay here."
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
"There is this incredible desire in the fantasy baseball/football/other world to create something out of nothing,
to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Captain Hook

Re: J.Upton

#3 Post by Captain Hook » January 11th, 2013, 11:20 am

Not sure I understand either of those

The Diamondbacks were going to get a massive haul for Upton BUT they knew that Seattle was on Upton's no trade list so they either wanted to see how much they could get to get Seattle comfortable with the trade and then let them try and "buy" Upton out of the no trade clause in his contract OR they wanted to show Texas and/or Tampa Bay how much another club was willing to package to get Upton to help their negotiations with those clubs.

We shall see

User avatar
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Posts: 347
Joined: January 4th, 2010, 10:39 am
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Re: J.Upton

#4 Post by Black Sox » January 11th, 2013, 5:06 pm

I was just being sarcastic. I like Upton and was happy he exercised his right to refuse to go to Seattle where I think there would be less chance of him reaching his full potential. After Beltre left LA and went to Sea everyone starts saying "what's wrong with Beltre?" leaves Sea and spends a few seasons in Bos/Tex and bam, that's the player we remember.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

User avatar
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1527
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 12:09 am
Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions

Re: J.Upton

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 » January 11th, 2013, 6:49 pm

My point is simply this; Does Juston Upton want out of Arizona as badly as the DBacks seem to want to send him somewhere? They need to open an OF slot. Doesn't mean it has to be Upton's spot that gets open. They trade Kubel instead, Upton stays and everybody's happy .... supposedly.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
"There is this incredible desire in the fantasy baseball/football/other world to create something out of nothing,
to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Captain Hook

Re: J.Upton

#6 Post by Captain Hook » January 11th, 2013, 6:59 pm

da_big_kid_94 wrote:My point is simply this; Does Juston Upton want out of Arizona as badly as the DBacks seem to want to send him somewhere? They need to open an OF slot. Doesn't mean it has to be Upton's spot that gets open. They trade Kubel instead, Upton stays and everybody's happy .... supposedly.
He wants to go to Atlanta to play with his brother and the AZ/SEA trade IF the Mariners can't convince him might well help the Braves make an attempt to make that happen.

User avatar
da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer
Posts: 1527
Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 12:09 am
Preferred Style: NL and AL 4x4 Only Ultra Keeper Auctions

Re: J.Upton

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 » January 24th, 2013, 10:57 am

Captain Hook wrote:
da_big_kid_94 wrote:My point is simply this; Does Juston Upton want out of Arizona as badly as the DBacks seem to want to send him somewhere? They need to open an OF slot. Doesn't mean it has to be Upton's spot that gets open. They trade Kubel instead, Upton stays and everybody's happy .... supposedly.
He wants to go to Atlanta to play with his brother and the AZ/SEA trade IF the Mariners can't convince him might well help the Braves make an attempt to make that happen.
All credit to you , Perry ...you really nailed this one.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
"There is this incredible desire in the fantasy baseball/football/other world to create something out of nothing,
to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

Captain Hook

Re: J.Upton

#8 Post by Captain Hook » January 24th, 2013, 11:50 am

Thanks kid and this is really a great trade for both teams - the Braves now have arguably the best outfield in baseball (well on the hitting side anyway) and they have a deep farm system that regardless of how the names shake out (have already seen two different reports) they solidified their team and still have lots of prospects - besides right now they don't have anyplace for any of them ...well maybe one pitcher later in the year. For the DBacks they finally relieve themselves (literally and figuratively) of Upton and can concentrate on the players they have (although Kubel might also go) no who they might not have .... and getting Prado to take over third base where they really weren't happy with what they had is a great step forward in the infield even if the outfield is slightly less (less on offense but better defensively especially if they are not trotting their DH out there)

Post Reply