A forum on fantasy baseball by the people who bring you Mastersball
Return to: Mastersball.
It is currently September 20th, 2014, 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mike Napoli a Red Sox
PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 9:31 pm 
Major League Elite

Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction
The last that I heard was that Boston had some concerns with Napoli's physical, although it's unknown what they were
worried about.

MLB.com still lists him as a free agent.

Have I missed something here or are things still in limbo?

Post subject: Re: Mike Napoli a Red Sox
PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 9:54 pm 
Hall of Famer

Technically still in limbo

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: December 21st, 2012, 4:05 pm 
Major League All-Star

Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix
I belive it's Ken Rosenthal is reporting it's an issue with his hip. He said it's what caused Seattle & Texas to back away. They are attempting to re work the contract since the Red Sox don't belive in insurance policies and instead focus on writing launguage into the contract that protects the team if he misses time due to the known issue. Rosenthal reported the deal may fall thru because of this. When this happened with JD Drew it took him 52 days from when it was first announced he signed a deal till when he actually signed with the team.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 12:05 pm 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 4x4 Ultra Onlys Keeper Auctions
For what it is worth from RotoWorld;

Quote:
Jen Royle of SB Nation Boston reports that the Red Sox are "going after" free agent Adam LaRoche.
That would indicate that club officials are considering walking away from the three-year contract that they agreed to earlier this winter with Mike Napoli. LaRoche, 33, hit .271/.343/.510 with 33 home runs and 100 RBI in 2012 for the Nationals while earning Gold Glove honors for his defense at first base. The Nats want him back but aren't willing to go beyond two guaranteed years. Dec 27 - 11:06 AM
Source: Jen Royle on Twitter

to produce insight where the simple will suffice, and that isn’t a good thing for everyone."
- Gary J blog 6/2/10

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 12:00 pm 
Major League Elite

The longer that this negotiation over his contract goes, the more I wonder if either side is gaining
an advantage by the delay. Napoli has to be anxious to know that he has a job. But the Red Sox
have to be anxious to have the hole at first base that they have filled. If LaRoche signs with Washington,
then I think the Red Sox, with their fallback position gone, may feel a little more urgency to get the deal
done. I can't believe that the Red Sox will want to go with their best in-house option at first base.

On another entirely unrelated matter, Soriano has to be regretting the fact that he turned down the
$14 million option with the Yankees and the $13.3 million qualifying offer that the Yankees made so that
they would receive a draft pick for compensation. He'll ultimately get a contract, but I'd be surprised if
it comes close to $14 million, unless a contender has an injury to their closer. Even Detroit doesn't seem
to be pushing hard to sign him and their closer situation is shaky.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm 
Hall of Famer

If LaRoche signs with the Nats, then Morse becomes Plan C (or is that D?)

I could also see Kubel and ask him to buy a 1B mitt and bring them the receipt.

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 10:58 pm 
Major League Elite

Napoli goes from a three year contract worth $39 mil to a one year contract for $5 mil.
That hip must really be bad because he really went down in value of the contract and
couldn't get more money elsewhere.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 11:12 pm 
Hall of Famer

5 MIL base -- there are bonuses if he stays off the DL, could be 13 MIL

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:13 am 
Major League Regular

Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

Assuming he gets 550, where would he rank among AL 1B's - better option Morales? Mourneau? Lind?

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:33 am 
Hall of Famer

Preferred Style: 5X5 both keeper and redraft
whammer wrote:
Any thoughts on expected Napoli PA's - assuming he is everyday 1B do we see 550 PA's?

Assuming he gets 550, where would he rank among AL 1B's - better option Morales? Mourneau? Lind?

Well I will let Todd do the numbers - I think an update is in progress (although he has to travel for FSTA conference so may be a delay)

Personally I don't think Napoli sniffs 500 - the physical problems are still there.
BUT Fenway should be a very good park for him to hit in.
Assuming he can stay healthy I think he will out produce Morneau and Lind
Morales v Napoli will be interesting because I think Kendrys will see more PA/AB but given Napoli's C eligibility he will go several rounds earlier for mixed league drafts and for a higher price in AL formats again assuming he looks healthy in spring training