Jay Bruce, Hunter Pence, Brandon Philips for 2013

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Andy

Jay Bruce, Hunter Pence, Brandon Philips for 2013

#1 Post by Andy »

Looking forward to next season, Who would you freeze in a 10 team mixed 5x5, 23 man roster? Can potentially keep all or none.

Jay Bruce $20
Hunter Pence $15
Brandon Philips $13

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Jay Bruce, Hunter Pence, Brandon Philips for 2013

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It's these middle priced guys that are so hard to call in shallow mixers, mainly because I am a big proponent of stars and scrubs in the format.

The problem is not "value" but opportunity cost - the tying up of a roster spot where you could potentially get a nice bargain.

With that as a backdrop, I like Phillips the best but that is as predictable as a Chinese swimmer being accused of doping at the Olympics. I'm not a huge park effect guy, but the change for Pence along with the weaker lineup scares me with respect to his production so he and Bruce are neck and neck - the thing with Bruce is I'd rather spend the extra $20 to get the star or $19 fewer and take a chance on a breakout guy.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer -- they are all "at value" - it comes down to strategy and they all basically don't fit what I do in a league of this nature.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Andy

Re: Jay Bruce, Hunter Pence, Brandon Philips for 2013

#3 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:It's these middle priced guys that are so hard to call in shallow mixers, mainly because I am a big proponent of stars and scrubs in the format.

The problem is not "value" but opportunity cost - the tying up of a roster spot where you could potentially get a nice bargain.

With that as a backdrop, I like Phillips the best but that is as predictable as a Chinese swimmer being accused of doping at the Olympics. I'm not a huge park effect guy, but the change for Pence along with the weaker lineup scares me with respect to his production so he and Bruce are neck and neck - the thing with Bruce is I'd rather spend the extra $20 to get the star or $19 fewer and take a chance on a breakout guy.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to answer -- they are all "at value" - it comes down to strategy and they all basically don't fit what I do in a league of this nature.
Nah, that's a perfect answer Todd. I retain my Mastersball subscription for valuation, remember? ;)