Keeper League Trade Theory Question

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
BudSeligIsMyHero
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Points leagues, H2H 5x5 roto, 5x5 roto

Keeper League Trade Theory Question

#1 Post by BudSeligIsMyHero »

The two situations I was thinking about are before keepers are locked in before a draft and during the season nearing the trade deadline.

Is there such thing as a bad trade? For the first situation, you know your keepers, but still have tradable commodities on your team. You can’t upgrade by trading for other keepers, but you can make trades for draft picks. Is it better to let those commodities back into the draft or take what ever you can get?

In the second situation, you are officially out of the playoffs or have not shot at the money. Is there any reason not to trade everything you can, even if the trades aren’t ideal?
12 Team H2H Roto (Keep 6 - bold):
C: Vogt, Molina 1B: Rizzo 2B: Kipnis SS: Reyes, Crawford 3B: Rendon(DL), Donaldson OF: Springer, Cespedes, Reddick, Fowler, Either, Granderson
SP: Harvey, Fernandez(DL), S. Miller, Burnett, Salazar, McCullers, Chavez, Cain, Chen RP: Holland, Boxberger, Soria, Rodriquez

cwk1963

Re: Keeper League Trade Theory Question

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

BudSeligIsMyHero wrote:The two situations I was thinking about are before keepers are locked in before a draft and during the season nearing the trade deadline.

Is there such thing as a bad trade? For the first situation, you know your keepers, but still have tradable commodities on your team. You can’t upgrade by trading for other keepers, but you can make trades for draft picks. Is it better to let those commodities back into the draft or take what ever you can get?

In the second situation, you are officially out of the playoffs or have not shot at the money. Is there any reason not to trade everything you can, even if the trades aren’t ideal?
Scenario 1 - It would depend on the situation. I would let the commodity back into the draft if I didn't think I was getting good compensation. I'm not necessarily going to trade someone just because I can't keep them. If someone is a 5th round talent, I'm not going to accept a 7th round pick for him.

Scenario 2 - As long as they're within the context of the rules, make the trades. It's certainly the case with many - if not most - dump trades that they are lopsided. But that's up to the guy playing for next year. Keeper league have their own set of dynamics that would not fly in single season leagues.

In a nutshell, I would make any trade if it was in my best interests; not just for the sake of making a trade.

rotodog

#3 Post by rotodog »

I agree with the poster above. EVEN if you cant keep them, you will be able to bid on them in the draft when you throw them back if you still like them and maybe get them for less or get someone to pay more... I was offered a reserve rd draft pick last night for a guy I cant keep, but would buy back at similar value....I turned down his pick so i could still bid on him...Dont give away anything for almost free just becasue you cant keep them. You make other teams stronger if it is a decent player....If its a complete and utter failure of a player like Bonderman, by all means get whatever you can and force an owner to waste a roster spot...

2. Come dump time and you have no shot at money, get rid of anything you cant keep...Dont trade for depth ot decent players, get 1 premium player for 1-2 of your STUDS at value....

AllstonRockCity

#4 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Scenario 1: i agree w/ the 2 above. trade what you can, but only if you'll get equal value. there have been numerous times when i knew i could not keep a player but there was no way i would trade him, simply because i wanted to know that he would be there in the draft/auction for me to have another crack at him. also, this has a slight advantage for you as you are the only one who knows that this player will be available prior to the unveiling of the freeze lists.

Scenario 2: get whatever you can get, so long as it helps you for next year. if your out of it and its a keeper league, your only focus should be on players that will help you next year (cheap major leaguers) or maybe in 2 years (minor league studs who are close to getting the call). don't worry about what kind of value your getting on your return, just make sure there is value down the road. and by this i mean, so what if your trading carl crawford for jack cust. if crawfords in the last year of his $40 contract and cust is keeper eligible for $5 for the next 2 years (cuz he was acquired by FAAB), do it. sure crawfords a much better player but when you factor in contract length and cost, what is crawford worth to you then.