bottom end SP options

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

bottom end SP options

#1 Post by CubFan »

12 team H2H AL only 5X5 keeper league ($310 in-season salary cap) $100 FAAB.

Morales sent back to relief which leaves me 4 SPs until McCarthy comes off the DL. Traded for Cobb but he has been a disappointment over his past 4 starts. He may lose out when Niemann comes off the DL. So, wondering if putting in a $1 for either of Humber, Guthrie or Happ is worth dropping Morales for. I realize wins are pretty unpredictable, especially for #3-5 type SP. Part of me feels any of these 3 could ruin my ERA/WHIP all by themselves in any given week. Guthrie intrigues me as he has had success in the AL....and it was the AL East.

Another option is to drop Morales, activate McCarthy and pick up Pettite (place on DL) for $1 for the stretch run/playoffs. I just won't have stats for 1-2 weeks from one of my pitchers. Really wish Valentine would have made the sensible move and left Morales in the rotation as he had pitched very well. Could also drop Adams instead of Morales as the former has not been anything to write home about this year.

Exploring trade options but owners typically are very slow to respond in our league. Could wait to see if any SP from the NL comes over (Garza?)

Thoughts anything else you would do with my roster to maximize my pitching?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: bottom end SP options

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Guthrie would be my choice (Happ likely pitching in relief at least for now)

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

Re: bottom end SP options

#3 Post by Spread da wealth »

I am in the EXACT same boat as you, complete with McCarthy, Cobb, Morales, and now only 4 SP's with Morales out of the rotation. My league's a 4x4, so the lack of a starter is not as important due to no Ks category, and McCarthy will hopefully return soon, at which point I'll probably drop Cobb because his control is not there. I'm hoping Morales gets some vulture wins, with that Boston offense, or maybe moves back in the rotation if Lester's hurt or somebody else gets hurt. If wins is your concern, Morales may get just as many in relief as any of the guys you mention without as much ERA/WHIP risk. I agree Guthrie is the one of those three SPs, and he has a good schedule coming up (including next at Seattle), but sticking with Morales might be the better bet.