SP -feast to famine in one week

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

SP -feast to famine in one week

#1 Post by CubFan »

See signature for my league specifics. Had 6 SP's to start the week. Now down to 3 as Paulino (TJ surgery), McCarthy (DL) and Williams (DL and may be moved to relief) have torpedoed my staff.

Hear is who is on the FAAB wire:

Oswalt - what's he got left in the tank? Pitching in TX in the heat - not good
Morales - how many starts will he get and will he remain in the rotation?
Villanueva - Toronto SP in turmoil. Previously pitched poorly as a SP
Laffey - yuck
Hunter - double yuck
Blackley - well he does pitch in Oakland :D

I can go to $16 for Oswalt if I drop Hudson for a $1 INF and drop Paulino. And there is no guarantee I'd get him if some other owner is desperate. Originally, thought I'd throw $10-13 at him. I like Morales and thought he might be had for $3 or 4.

Another option is the Alex Cobb ($11) owner is willing to deal him and wanted Holland in an earlier deal. Will Cobb stay in the rotation after Niemann comes back in mid July? I can probably trade Reddick for Shields and get David Murphy back in trade. Would need to include Cain to make salaries work so if Kalish struggles I may have trouble filling that spot.

Which of the above scenarios are my best solutions?
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: SP -feast to famine in one week

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

CubFan wrote:See signature for my league specifics. Had 6 SP's to start the week. Now down to 3 as Paulino (TJ surgery), McCarthy (DL) and Williams (DL and may be moved to relief) have torpedoed my staff.

Hear is who is on the FAAB wire:

Oswalt - what's he got left in the tank? Pitching in TX in the heat - not good
Morales - how many starts will he get and will he remain in the rotation?
Villanueva - Toronto SP in turmoil. Previously pitched poorly as a SP
Laffey - yuck
Hunter - double yuck
Blackley - well he does pitch in Oakland :D

I can go to $16 for Oswalt if I drop Hudson for a $1 INF and drop Paulino. And there is no guarantee I'd get him if some other owner is desperate. Originally, thought I'd throw $10-13 at him. I like Morales and thought he might be had for $3 or 4.

Another option is the Alex Cobb ($11) owner is willing to deal him and wanted Holland in an earlier deal. Will Cobb stay in the rotation after Niemann comes back in mid July? I can probably trade Reddick for Shields and get David Murphy back in trade. Would need to include Cain to make salaries work so if Kalish struggles I may have trouble filling that spot.

Which of the above scenarios are my best solutions?
Oswalt clearly the best, used to the heat and pitching in front of that lineup
Morales next best IMO

not in love with any of the other options (yes Blackley pitches in Oakland when they are home but his 2nd start next week is in Texas - unless you can pitch him then move him down)

Would defnitely get Cobb if I could

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by CubFan »

Thanks for responding so quickly Perry. I know I can get him for my $23 Cain as that was his offer. But if Kalish falters I'll have to activate Scott when he comes off the DL and he has not looked very good the past month. I'm almost certain he'd take Holland in trade but still thinking he has a shot at closing either in August or next year. But this would allow me to keep Reddick. So, Cain or Holland for Cobb? And do you think he'd stay in the rotation past mid July. Was also offered Floyd by Cobb owner. But he has looked horrible unless he pitches against my listliss Cubbies.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

give up Holland - I don't think he closes and if he does so WHAT?
You need the SP NOW

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Next year he may have to contend with Soria as well ...I picked him up for 12 bucks as a shot ... but he's had multiple opportunities and hasn't taken advantage. Don't let Holland turn into Capellan on you.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

when i started reading this, i thought you had derek holland. that's a no-brainer for greg holland. like an over-the-top-no-brainer.

especially in a keeper league. holland MIGHT become a closer and have value, but Cobb IS a good SP on a team that know exactly how to handle good SPs

ETA: oh yeah, and max out on Oswalt, then I like blackley and morales next in that order.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by CubFan »

Got outbid for Oswalt $17 to $14. That was as high as I could go because of the salary cap. Did get Morales and Villaneuva.

On to the Cobb saga. Cobb owner is what I call a used car salesman. He originally wanted Paulino for Cobb but when Paulino got hurt he said he "might" trade Cobb for Cain. He is playing for next year. He is well aware of my SP problem. After I missed out on Oswalt he wanted more than just Cain for Cobb. He now wants both Cain and Holland. I'm hesitant to do the trade as Hellickson is supposed to be activated on the 30th and no word on whether Archer or Cobb gets sent down. Niemann is supposed to be ready by mid July. Am I giving up too much for what could be short term rental?

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

CubFan wrote:Got outbid for Oswalt $17 to $14. That was as high as I could go because of the salary cap. Did get Morales and Villaneuva.

On to the Cobb saga. Cobb owner is what I call a used car salesman. He originally wanted Paulino for Cobb but when Paulino got hurt he said he "might" trade Cobb for Cain. He is playing for next year. He is well aware of my SP problem. After I missed out on Oswalt he wanted more than just Cain for Cobb. He now wants both Cain and Holland. I'm hesitant to do the trade as Hellickson is supposed to be activated on the 30th and no word on whether Archer or Cobb gets sent down. Niemann is supposed to be ready by mid July. Am I giving up too much for what could be short term rental?
Exactly what do you think Greg Holland is going to do for you?
Cain only has value IF he actually gets back to KC and with that injury I doubt he is running too much

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by CubFan »

Just an update on the trade front. Traded Cain/O. Hudson/Villanueva for Cobb/Scott Sizemore/M. Izturis. Sizemore at $1 could be a keeper for 2013. Due to several other trades this owner made he no longer had room for him on his roster. I still have Holland and could use him as a trade chip as we have a handful of Royals fans in the league.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -