Addition by Subtraction - changing catchers - thoughts

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Addition by Subtraction - changing catchers - thoughts

#1 Post by viper »

10 team NL only, no bench, standard 5 hitting categories

This team is over 80 points on a 100 max with a lead of 5-15 depending on the day - several categories move daily but my team is in a 80-86 range, at least for now.

My catchers are Yadier and Hundley, The issue is obviously Hundley.
I have 10 in RBI & Runs. My RBI lead is 8. My Run lead is 21.
In average I have a 6. I trail three team by .005. The closest behind me is .0048 back.

I'm thinking that with lessened ABs, whatever counting number Hundley provided seem to be history.

Options are slim but each has a significantly higher batting average. Let's face it, Todd Zola as my catcher would raise my average given he gets zero ABs.

Treanor (LAD) - minimal time behind Ellis. hitting .300 with 40Abs. 13 R&RBI
Ross (ATL) - .245 with 49 ABs. 10 R&RBI
Hayes (MIA) - .287 with 57 ABs. 7 R&RBI
Hundley (SD) the incumbent - .153 with 170 ABs. 27 R&RBI.

Hundley's co-catcher is unavailable. That is the list of catchers with over 40ABs that are hitting over .225. It makes me wonder how 13 team NL-only leagues survive. Has anyone ever suggested you replace the 2nd catcher with a 2nd UTIL guy?

I'm thinking Hayes.

Open for thoughts.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Addition by Subtraction - changing catchers - thoughts

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree with Hayes as the choice

Not sure why people like Hundley so much but Grandal will be back

That said, two catcher leagues are fine - you just have to decide what you want at the position......maybe it's pain tolerance............and NO the second catcher shouldn't be replaced by a UT