Need help putting together a trade package

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Pauly
Triple-A

Need help putting together a trade package

#1 Post by Pauly »

So the last place team has just raised the white flag and made most of his team available. He has told the league via message board that he will not accept any offers until Friday so everyone has fair time to submit offers. He also will only trade 2 players to any single team. So basically, you propose and wait til Friday to see if you win the lotto.

This is a 13-team roto with 10 keepers. I have held my own despite building my team from scratch and today stand in a solid 6th place (one spot out of the money). I am targeting Verlander $34 and Desmond $7. 10 DL slots that dont count against your roster are also available (this will come into play).

Here are my trade chips:
Hitters- Craig $1, Seager $2, Altuve $3, Viciedo $2, Victor M. $4, Scutaro $6, Dirks $11
Pitchers- Capuano $2, McCarthy $4, Hellickson $10, Aceves $5, Volquez $1, Alvarez $1
**I am lagging in power hitting numbers and middling in steals...pitching is carrying my team, but the guy isnt offering a lot of offensive help, in fact Desmond has the most HR of anyone he is offering.

There's the setup. Since I only have one shot at this, I wanted to run it by you guys and see what it would take to land the Verlander/Desmond package and then make my best offer and try and win the lotto.

My initial choice for a package is Hellickson, Victor, Dirks and Scutaro
too much? not enough?

thanks for your help and sorry this seems long after typing it.

Captain Hook

Re: Need help putting together a trade package

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Pauly wrote:So the last place team has just raised the white flag and made most of his team available. He has told the league via message board that he will not accept any offers until Friday so everyone has fair time to submit offers. He also will only trade 2 players to any single team. So basically, you propose and wait til Friday to see if you win the lotto.

This is a 13-team roto with 10 keepers. I have held my own despite building my team from scratch and today stand in a solid 6th place (one spot out of the money). I am targeting Verlander $34 and Desmond $7. 10 DL slots that dont count against your roster are also available (this will come into play).

Here are my trade chips:
Hitters- Craig $1, Seager $2, Altuve $3, Viciedo $2, Victor M. $4, Scutaro $6, Dirks $11
Pitchers- Capuano $2, McCarthy $4, Hellickson $10, Aceves $5, Volquez $1, Alvarez $1
**I am lagging in power hitting numbers and middling in steals...pitching is carrying my team, but the guy isnt offering a lot of offensive help, in fact Desmond has the most HR of anyone he is offering.

There's the setup. Since I only have one shot at this, I wanted to run it by you guys and see what it would take to land the Verlander/Desmond package and then make my best offer and try and win the lotto.

too much? not enough?

No problem on the length - don't worry there

The problem in trying to give you an answer is that WE are NOT the guy who is making the decision. We can't possibly know who he likes and who he doesn't.......but here are a few thoughts

1) The guy is being a total tool if he is not entertaining any communication on working out a deal (Is this an internet league where nobody knows anyone else?)

2) More importantly as you say, he is NOT offering what you need.

Personally I would just wait until the other teams on the bottom of the dogpile want to get in on retooling and get what you need in a deal(s) with them.

Pauly
Triple-A

#3 Post by Pauly »

Everyone knows everyone (or at least we have a live draft every year), and I asked him to let me know who he wanted...to no avail. Anyway, I was thinking Victor and Hellickson to get Verlander is worth it even if my team is strong in pitching already. At the very worst I can turn around and deal Verlander for offense. Then I was like, why not get Desmond too?

But yeah, it's impossible to say what he will or wont do...figured talking it out would get me a lot further.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Sorry but we don't even know his roster - much less likes, tendencies and rationale for such a strange way to try and maximize his assets

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#5 Post by alleyoops »

Pauly wrote:So the last place team has just raised the white flag and made most of his team available. He has told the league via message board that he will not accept any offers until Friday so everyone has fair time to submit offers. He also will only trade 2 players to any single team. So basically, you propose and wait til Friday to see if you win the lotto.

Here are my trade chips:

too much? not enough?

I don't see Hellickson, Dirks, and Scutaro as worth much, but if salaries don't escalate and you can keep up to 10, I guess they're keepable. Martinez alone should be worth Verlander and something else, but Desmond's possibly keepable himself. Might try a 2 for 2 with Martinez and Dirks or Scutaro, although I admit I don't know a lot about either of those guys. Worst he can do is say no.

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

i would put a bunch a different offers out there. let him sift through them. maybe he takes one. without communicating 1st, that might be the best way to go about it.

but if you are looking for power and he's not offering any, i wouldn't give up much at all and save my bullets for another day.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

V Mart isn't worth anything until he comes back and shows he's ok. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is where does he get his ABs once he comes back? Can he handle being a DH only?

I'd wish the guy luck and move on ...because what you are offering shouldn't net you Verlander, much less Verlander and something else - so unless you are planning to immediately flip Verlander, I'd pass. Now, on the OTHER hand, what I might do before Friday is pick one or two teams that need an arm like Verlander, check their bats and ask THEM what they would give up for Verlander - and I'd make a deal with them right now. Then I'd submit your offer for Verlander ONLY and see if he bites - in essence trading those 4 for the bat you are ultimately looking for with Verlander being the conduit.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams