Trade Closers for SP?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Bpak22
Major League Veteran

Trade Closers for SP?

#1 Post by Bpak22 »

5x5, k/9 instead of k/s, 12 team, deep benches, mixed, daily changes league with 2 required RP spots ans 4 SP spots, with no U Pitcher spot.

With the carnage that has occurred with the closer situations around the league, I question whether it is beter to keep a closer or if most closers are expendable because a new one will pop up weekly if not daily.

My question stems from me being offered Billingsley for Sean Marshall. Do I do this?

My staff with Luebke and Carpenter is putrid, as Im dead last in k/9.

Haren
Lilly
Garcia
Parker
Nolasco
Colon
Capuano
Blanton

Starters on the wire are Estrada (who I know Todd seems to rank high in his re-ranks), Nicasio, Doubront, Chris Young Mets,

Needing two closers, I have Marshall, Downs, Jannsen, Street.

Do I swap Marshall for Billingsley, knowing two of those closers, all of which could lose their job, would fill my two RP spots? There are no closers who have the job available on the wire.

Does Chapman eventually get this job? (he's owned).

Thanks for the help.
12 Team, 5x5 standard categories, except k/9 over ks. 1 Catcher, Daily CBS league, NO MI, NO CI, mandatory 4 SP, 2 RP daily, no Util pitcher Spot.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Trade Closers for SP?

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

-my gut says Jansen keeps the gig all year. that leaves you with Street/Downs/the next guy to fill your only other RP spot.

-i do think that for whatever reason, this is a really crazy year for the position and that there will be more guys that pop up. i also think that rather than making the 'solid guys' more solid, things are so fluid that it actually de-values them. as such, i agree with your premise here.

-make the deal

-closely monitor the MIN and OAK bullpens as I suspect these are the next to spots to get turned over. Balfour, Fuentes and Capps are all trade bait waiting to happen