How do I stash Hanley(H2H)?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

How do I stash Hanley(H2H)?

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

Another gift just fell in my lap, Hanley was just dropped for Jed Lowrie (licking my lips in this free public league).The problem is, how do I get the slot to stash? Drop one of my SP or Closers?

C - Weiters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
3B - Moose
SS - Tulo
OF - Granderson/Jennings/LaHair/Heyward
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Choo/Phillips
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Greinke
RP - Papelbon/Casilla
P - Parker/Robertson/Sale/Garcia
BN - Morrow

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How do I stash Hanley(H2H)?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

best case scenario -- drop Lahair, play Choo, deal high on Altuve and Moustakas clearing a spot for Phillips and HanRam.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would just like to make sure i am clear here ...in less than 48 hours, both Jonathon Papelbon and Hanley Ramirez were waived by their respective owners? If I may ask, what are the parameters of your league?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Mickey4081

#4 Post by Mickey4081 »

Dump Moustakas and start Hanley. Done.

MaestroJay

#5 Post by MaestroJay »

It is a free public 10 man yahoo H2H league - ISP was wonky during draft season, and I fell out of contact with the person whose league i was planning on joining.So I didn't want to take my chances of an internet going down in a money league draft which I didn't really have an "in" with to begin with.Know its not a "real league", but just one of those making best of a situation.I'm in, might as well try win situation

Who do you like targeting with Altuve and Moose if I can manage? Would LaHair net me more in a trade than a cold Choo?

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

Usually I would walk on by these but...........I can't let comments about dropping productive players just sit there

You can't drop LaHair - I don't care what the "numbers" say I just watch him hit and add to the stats
You can't drop Moose - he is hitting pretty well and will just get better plus he is good for lineup versatility With Hanley
and I wouldn't drop ANY of your pitchers (actually if forced it would be Sale with elbow problems + new role)

So go back and look at that list of hitters and tell me who has contributed the least.....the same player who is nowhere near the guy he used to be....................

ah CHOO

God bless you, drop him and move on

MaestroJay

#7 Post by MaestroJay »

@Captain Hook Do you like dropping Sale for Hanley now and making a decision on Choo when Morse gets healthy with the risk of Robertson may be in a SU role and not perm closer in NY? Or wait and see what Robertsons role in NY is, Keeping Sale and dropping Choo for Hanley?

Barring selling high on Altuve,Moose and potentially LaHair seems like it boils down to one of those two choices.

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:@Captain Hook Do you like dropping Sale for Hanley now and making a decision on Choo when Morse gets healthy with the risk of Robertson may be in a SU role and not perm closer in NY? Or wait and see what Robertsons role in NY is, Keeping Sale and dropping Choo for Hanley?

Barring selling high on Altuve,Moose and potentially LaHair seems like it boils down to one of those two choices.
If Robertson is closing you have more than enough saves so dropping Sale is fine

It IS your team - but Sale or Choo would be my choices

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

The view from someone who does are what the number say...

LaHair is striking out 32% of the time -- HIGHER THAN HIS CAREER AVERAGE -- that is not good

His BABIP is .513. This guy is taking a crap and pooping gold bars.

His HR/FB is 36.8%. By comparison, Jose Bautista's has been 22% the past 2 seasons.

I'm getting out while the getting is good.

What's done is done. We care about what is to come.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

MaestroJay

#10 Post by MaestroJay »

Looking at choo's numbers his babip and iso are really the only drops from last year.Is the lack of power worrisome, since the hamstring injury limits his ability to run?

BB%:12.2 vs 10
K%: 22.2 vs 21.8%
ISO:.105 vs .131
BABIP: .273 vs .317

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

For Choo, I don't look at last season - he was injured and who knows how the DUI affected him.

So his stats are even worse when compared to his pre-2011 numbers.

I am worried about a few things.

He has always been a player that struck out too much, but was able to sustain a high BABIP -- this worries me.

Is he 100%healthy?

The skills, i.e. walk and contact are there, this is a good thing. It doesn't say Choo will get better, but it does say he has the chance to get better.

Probability says he should be better than Lahair going forward. But probability is a range or a curve.

Probability says rolling a 7 is the most likely outcome with two dice. But probability also says you will be right only 1 in 6 tries.

To be clear, sticking with LaHair "because he is hot" and opting for him over Choo are two different scenarios.

Projecting Choo is a crapshoot. If you feel that when regression kicks in, LaHair will be better than Choo, that is a perfectly defensible thesis.

Sticking with LaHair because he is hot is like predicting a coin flip will be heads because it has been heads four flips in a row.

my feeling is from now to the end of the season, Choo will be the better player.

but, like a wise man ha already said -- your team, your call.

MaestroJay

#12 Post by MaestroJay »

I went with drop Choo and pick up Hanley. Namely because the flexibility it gives me. Have a couple of potential sell high offense guys in Altuve,Moose, and LaHair (if theres any interest in a trade).When/If LaHair cools off, if I can't get an ofer in a trade before then (or Morse isn't back and healthy at that point) wire options at of include Reddick,Maybin,Tabata,De Aza,Rasmus,Rios,Duda,Heisey,Lee,Campana. Some of which aren't bad for a 4th ofer.

Only short term affect is that unless I drop Sale for one of those I mentioned I don't have any one I could slide into an OF slot.Which with Jennings leaving hurt (knee sorness,doesn't play Monday anyways) will come into play almost immediately.

Of the ones listed who do you like for Sale (namely as a jic on Jennings)?

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:I went with drop Choo and pick up Hanley. Namely because the flexibility it gives me. Have a couple of potential sell high offense guys in Altuve,Moose, and LaHair (if theres any interest in a trade).When/If LaHair cools off, if I can't get an ofer in a trade before then (or Morse isn't back and healthy at that point) wire options at of include Reddick,Maybin,Tabata,De Aza,Rasmus,Rios,Duda,Heisey,Lee,Campana. Some of which aren't bad for a 4th ofer.

Only short term affect is that unless I drop Sale for one of those I mentioned I don't have any one I could slide into an OF slot.Which with Jennings leaving hurt (knee sorness,doesn't play Monday anyways) will come into play almost immediately.

Of the ones listed who do you like for Sale (namely as a jic on Jennings)?
De Aza .........and it's not close
Reddick would be second choice

MaestroJay

#14 Post by MaestroJay »

Presuming I get both waiver claims, this is what my roster looks like.Really the only immediate questions I can see are 1)How long do I need to monitor the Robertson role situation before going elsewhere for a 3rd Closer and b)when/how to get Hanley/De Aza into lineup.

C - Weiters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
SS - Tulo
3B - Moustakas
OF - Granderson/Heyward/Jennings/LaHair
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Hanley/Phillips/De Aza
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Greinke
RP - Papelbon/Casilla
P - Robertson/Morrow/Parker/Garcia

Mickey4081

#15 Post by Mickey4081 »

I'm guessing this is a h2h points league. As bad as Hanley is hitting, he still has more points than Moustakas....at least in my points league. They are both whiffing alot. Hanley is drawing walks and stealing a base occasionally which also earns you points.

De Aza shouldn't even be rostered in a 10 team league.

MaestroJay

#16 Post by MaestroJay »

It's H2H category wins not h2h points.R,HR,AVG,RBI,SB,W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP

As for De Aza, basically looking for a 5th ofer type just incase Jennings misses any time.Looking at wire purely at highest H/AB over last 14 days - Kubel,Pagan,Jay,Tabata,Nieuwenhuis,Alonso,Rios,Francoeur,Soriano,Reddick,Brantley,Moreland,Parra,Span

Captain Hook

#17 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:
As for De Aza, basically looking for a 5th ofer type just incase Jennings misses any time.Looking at wire purely at highest H/AB over last 14 days - Kubel,Pagan,Jay,Tabata,Nieuwenhuis,Alonso,Rios,Francoeur,Soriano,Reddick,Brantley,Moreland,Parra,Span
Interesting - not at all the same list posted above

I like Kubel, Pagan and Parra over De Aza and the rest of those (although really with this many playable OF on the list it almost ought to be a weekly matchup choice)

MaestroJay

#18 Post by MaestroJay »

As for the list - must have just been how i had sorted the list originally may have been looking at the yahoo rank for the period and not purely at h/ab.

My potential concern would be the drop off at SB while Jennings out as unless I put Hanley in for Moustakas (pickup of Hanley won't go through until tomorrow) as Heyward/Altuve probably my only sb potential guys. Which is why I grabbed De Aza.