White Sox/ Cubs Closers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
josh

White Sox/ Cubs Closers

#1 Post by josh »

Any insight on what you think will happen for those two teams closing situations?

Will Sale gain the closers job now that it looks like he is going to the bullpen?

Its about time Marmol lost the job but it doesnt look like their is a rock solid back up.

What a terrible year it has been for closers since spring training.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Re: White Sox/ Cubs Closers

#2 Post by CubFan »

Sale will get his closer's gig back. Most likely the rest of the year. Rotoworld reported he recently came down with a sore elbow. My guess is his arm has not ramped back up to a starter's workload. I really don't see them jerking him around like NYY did with Chamberlain.....at least I hope not. Thorton goes back to setup and Addison is closer of the future v.2 and will wait till 2013 or later.

My Cubbies, pick a number any number. Closer by committee. Anyone with a live arm will be audtiioned.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

josh wrote:Any insight on what you think will happen for those two teams closing situations?

Will Sale gain the closers job now that it looks like he is going to the bullpen?

Its about time Marmol lost the job but it doesnt look like their is a rock solid back up.

What a terrible year it has been for closers since spring training.

Sale the new closer for White Sox - should hold for the rest of the season barring injury

Dolis the best bet for Cubs but I would bet on Marmol getting another chance(s)

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Of course the same afternoon I write that, White Sox take a lead in top of the 9th and go to the bottom of the 9th in Detroit - make pitching change and new pitcher is...............Hector Santiago :o

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

The white sox said when they made the announcement that sale wouldn't be available out of the pen until Monday.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#6 Post by aburt19 »

And the last two saves for the White Sox have gone to Reed. Tuesday night Sales came in for the 8th inning after two
were on. Cleveland tied the game in the 8th, but were helped by an error by Ramirez. Were they going to let Sales go for
a two inning save after having elbow soreness? Santiago pitched the 9th with a tie score and got the win. Reed got the
call in the 10th.

I think the dark horse is Reed.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#7 Post by Kelly_Leak »

Thought last night was interesting too. It's difficult to read because the higher pressure situation was seemingly in the 8th with the two men on. Reed definitely has not hurt himself with the way he has thrown to date though. It will be interesting to see who gets the next opportunity. My gut says it will be Sale, but my fantasy team is screaming for Reed.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

aburt19 wrote:And the last two saves for the White Sox have gone to Reed. Tuesday night Sales came in for the 8th inning after two
were on. Cleveland tied the game in the 8th, but were helped by an error by Ramirez. Were they going to let Sales go for
a two inning save after having elbow soreness? Santiago pitched the 9th with a tie score and got the win. Reed got the
call in the 10th.

Ventura said the plan was for Sale to pitch 2 innings on Tuesday, but he blew the save in the 8th, so they never got to that point. I wouldn't be surprised if they regularly tried to get more than 3 outs from Sale given that he's plenty stretched out enough.

Ventura also said Reed is the next in line. So, you are correct, but he's not exactly a 'dark horse'. :D

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Sale - MRI
Reed - closer

good times
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#10 Post by aburt19 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
aburt19 wrote:And the last two saves for the White Sox have gone to Reed. Tuesday night Sales came in for the 8th inning after two
call in the 10th.

Ventura said the plan was for Sale to pitch 2 innings on Tuesday, but he blew the save in the 8th, so they never got to that point. I wouldn't be surprised if they regularly tried to get more than 3 outs from Sale given that he's plenty stretched out enough.

Ventura also said Reed is the next in line. So, you are correct, but he's not exactly a 'dark horse'. :D
If Sales does pitch two innings very often, he won't be going consecutive nights. I agree that he's not a 'dark horse'
now, but he was when I got him in the auction in late March. :D

AllstonRockCity

#11 Post by AllstonRockCity »