Guerra vs Jansen? Who has the job?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

Guerra vs Jansen? Who has the job?

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

Who do you roll with for closer in LA? Jansen or Guerra?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Guerra vs Jansen? Who has the job?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

eenie meenie miney mo....

Personally, I don't think you rely on either guy to be your 35 save guy,

I'll take Jensen, use him because he gets K's and should help with ratios if he can keep the walks down and hope for saves.

I'm actually pissed off at myself for succumbing and giving Guerra more saves in my final April update.

None of us KNOW...

Heck, Donnie Baseball doesn't KNOW

But if forced to predict who will have more saves by season's end, it is Jensen.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Guerra gets the next one, or at least the chance.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Do you own both?

I own Jansen in a TON of leagues - so I put my money on him in pre-season and I'll stick with that and go along with Todd here saying I still believe that Jansen will get the most saves by season's end. I will also agree with Todd that he isn't going to get as many as I thought he would. But he won't hurt you even if he isn't getting saves. Closers have been crazy this year, and while Jansen likely won't be what I thought he would be, I still am glad that I more than often waited on closers this year. Yes in a few leauges (where it made sense) I jumped on a top guy (Mariano, Axford) for the most part I waited this year. While I have had to scramble in a bunch of my leagues to pick up emerging options - there have never been MORE of those options than this year IMO. Yes alot of these guys will flame out after a couple but it is possible that you can patch together enough saves to make it work in your leagues.

The downside is that sometimes you have to dedicate precious bench slots to guys who aren't closing yet, which can be tough to do if your offense struggles or gets hit with injuries. In my NFBC OLC team for example, my Kemp/Kinsler led offense is off to a great start. I also have been healthy on the hitting side which has allowed me to dedicate less bench slots to hitting. I came up short on closers in this odd draft, ending up with Marshall, Aceves, Jansen and A Reed post draft. I got lucky (sort of) when Aceves landed the job in Boston. He had an epic meltdown, but I stuck with him last week and got a clean week with 3 saves. I also nabbed S Casilla (for a ton of FAAB) and he has been pretty solid so far. On my bench right now I still have Jansen, A Chapman (Marshall insurance) and Reed. I can easily see a scenario where all three of these guys are the closers for their respective teams. Hopefully I am able to hang onto them long enough to cash in on the saves they will get this year - because they all will be getting some. It's always a crazy dance - and I think that is the reason some like to go heavy on closers early in drafts - just to avoid having to chase the guys in waiting. The problem is that this year that strategy might have blown up in your face in a big way. Imagine drafting Soria and Madson. Or Madson and Bailey (as i did in one league).

MaestroJay

#4 Post by MaestroJay »

My closers right now are Marshall/Balfour/Casilla/Guerra. 3 of the 4 have been less than lights out these last 2 weeks (7.50 era 1.17 whip Balfour,7.20 era 1.20 whip Marshall, 14.50 era 3.00 whip Guerra.)

Chapman/Jansen are on the wire as handcuffs, and Cordero and Street also on wire as closer options.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Unless you own Mo, Papelbon or -- get this, Brandon League -- you've probably increased your number of gray hairs.

I'd grab Street myself. I know he is an injury risk, but he's one of the best when healthy and it appears there will be an option for you ( or just grab Cashner too. see the Tout Wars piece in the MASTERSBLOG).
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

MaestroJay

#6 Post by MaestroJay »

Just noticed Thornton/Reed are available as well in CHI, does Thornton have job?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

MaestroJay wrote:Just noticed Thornton/Reed are available as well in CHI, does Thornton have job?
Another question to which there is no answer.

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

Guerra in the game tonight after Jansen takes the 8th. This is a big game for him tonight. Let see what happens.

Update: Well - pretty solid. Struck out Colvin. Gave up a hit to Rosario and passed ball got him to second. Got a hard hit grounder from Scutaro, Rosario to third - and got Cargo on a nasty slider to end the game.