Team Improvement in H2H - React to W/L or Stats?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
MaestroJay

Team Improvement in H2H - React to W/L or Stats?

#1 Post by MaestroJay »

10 Team H2H mixed

My cumulative team stat totals (for whatever they are worth in a H2H league) aren't that bad, however my overall record isn't indicitive of this.

95 R (1st)
25 Hr (2nd-tied)
82 RBI (3rd)
19 SB (2nd-tied)
.264 avg (6th-tied)
9 W (2nd)
15 SV (2nd)
94 K (10th)
3.44 era (5th)
1.22 whip (5th)

This puts me in 6th place with an overall record of 13-12-5.

Now obviously, I haven't had this roster configuration all season, and cumulative stats are a bit meaningless when weekly stats get reset.So how much tweakage do I really need to do?

C - Wieters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Seager
OF - Granderson/Jennings/Choo/Heyward
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Reynolds/Phillips
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Grienke
RP - Balfour/Marmol
P - Marshall/Guerra/Garcia/Morrow
BN - Sale

The only real 2B on wire that stand out are - Kipnis,Johnson,J.Weeks,Murphy,Utley,Tejada,Craig,Walker

The only real 3B on wire that stand out are -
Moose/Figgins/C.Johnson/Nunez/Wigginton/

Captain Hook

Re: Team Improvement in H2H - React to W/L or Stats?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:10 Team H2H mixed

My cumulative team stat totals (for whatever they are worth in a H2H league) aren't that bad, however my overall record isn't indicitive of this.

95 R (1st)
25 Hr (2nd-tied)
82 RBI (3rd)
19 SB (2nd-tied)
.264 avg (6th-tied)
9 W (2nd)
15 SV (2nd)
94 K (10th)
3.44 era (5th)
1.22 whip (5th)

This puts me in 6th place with an overall record of 13-12-5.

Now obviously, I haven't had this roster configuration all season, and cumulative stats are a bit meaningless when weekly stats get reset.So how much tweakage do I really need to do?

C - Wieters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
SS - Tulowitzki
3B - Seager
OF - Granderson/Jennings/Choo/Heyward
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Reynolds/Phillips
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Grienke
RP - Balfour/Marmol
BN - Sale

The only real 2B on wire that stand out are - Kipnis,Johnson,J.Weeks,Murphy,Utley,Tejada,Craig,Walker

The only real 3B on wire that stand out are -
Moose/Figgins/C.Johnson/Nunez/Wigginton/
Is this weekly or daily transactions?

Presuming weekly I don't see 2b as a position of need or even want for you.....Altuve is hitting his brains out - sure the average won't last but the counting stats might and you have Phillips and hopefully he is healthy when you need/want to play him

3rd base is the postion that stands out to me as the glaring weakness. Seager doesn't have much pop and is not even a full time player so every day you run him out you might be looking at a DNP
I would prefer to take the risk with Moustakas because the upside is higher than with any of the others....and btw two good games, maybe even one huge one and he won't still be on the wire

Hopefully for your team and for an important one for me, Morse comes back hitting when he can

MaestroJay

#3 Post by MaestroJay »

It's a daily transaction league, I still have a ? on Phillips right now namely because he isn't playing every day yet.

Thoughts on this idea?

Sell high on Freeman/Altuve for an upper tier 3B,sliding Phillips in at 2B.Then drop Seager and Reynolds. Which would give me 2 bench slots and an offense util slot to work with.Or is Freeman 'For real" enough that I shouldn't consider?

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:It's a daily transaction league, I still have a ? on Phillips right now namely because he isn't playing every day yet.

Thoughts on this idea?

Sell high on Freeman/Altuve for an upper tier 3B,sliding Phillips in at 2B.Then drop Seager and Reynolds. Which would give me 2 bench slots and an offense util slot to work with.Or is Freeman 'For real" enough that I shouldn't consider?
Freeman is for real - I would not trade him especially in a daily league AND with Morse not available......and even if you did you should be able to get a good 3B for him alone without wasting Altuve

So no on that idea for me

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

What are you looking to accomplish with your pitching? Seems to me if you use Marmol and Morrow, you are not worrying about ERA and ratio and you should focus more on W and K.

That is, the construction of your staff is not optimal for a H2H category set-up.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

MaestroJay

#6 Post by MaestroJay »

I really don't have a strategy in mind for my pitching really.Though the early lead in the volume categories and struggles in era/whip have as much to do with my inability at matchup selection as it does with their abilities.

Closers with atleast 1 save in last 14 days on wire - H.Rodriguez/Cruz/Cordero/Casilla/Hensley/Adams/Strop/Lidge. Of those only H.Rodriguez/Cordero/Strop/Cruz/Hensley have atleast 1 in last 7. Or would a David Robertson lima type be better with 3 closers already?

Looking at SP
Alvarez,Lilly,Minor,Milone,Zambrano,Arrieta,Smyly,Burnett,Humber,Peralta (does he have spot in Mil?),Parker (Godfrey demoted), Hutchinson,Kendrick,Arroyo,Saunders stand out to varying degrees.

At 2b when should i switch back to Phillips? Do you mind going ahead and dropping Reynolds for another pitcher, since I have no where to put the slot offensively, or do you keep stashing him?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

In categorical H2H, there are a few different ways you can approach things. You have built a very strong offense, which by season's end will take more categories than it loses.

With pitching, at least the way I approach it, you either build a strong staff and hope to compete across the board or really focus on a few categories, not worrying about others. Trying to compete across the board with a "lesser" staff opens up too many weeks of losses across the board.

It appears as though you focused on offense -- no problem, I would do the same.

In my opinion, you need to decide if you want to go for ERA/WHIP/Saves or W/K/Saves.

By means of example, Morrow and Marmol are ideal if you want the W/K/Saves option.

Greinke, Bumgarner and Sale can fit in either style, which is good.

I'm not sure you even need to make any moves. The main crux of my comment is to activate your pitching staff for the week with one of the two plans in mind. Heck, you can even have the horses to do one or the other and decide which each week, based on the opponents you are facing and their staffs.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

MaestroJay

#8 Post by MaestroJay »

Do you like holding on to Reynolds atleast until Morse gets back, since at that point I have to drop someone anyways? Or go ahead and drop Reynolds for a OFer as protection incase Choo misses time this week, as I have no of on bench? ie a De Aza,Rios,Span,Carlos Lee?

This week my opponents pitching is favorable for me volume wise as they have - Verlander,McCarthy,Rivera,Wilson(DL),Cliff Lee (DL),Buehrle,Oswalt (N/A),Feliz

The commish is just now replacing the inactive owners this weekend, and I have had 3 of my first 4 be inactive.Which is why my move total and volume categories are higher than normal for me.Trying to be tricky and win the volume categories when I can but that route obviously has the risky side.

Looking ahead to next week (1st place) pitching opponent - Halladay/Sabathia/Axford/Chapman/Shields/Jimmenez/Wilson/Zimmerman/Lohse/Harrison

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

Reyolds is wasting a spot on your roster (even worse in my H2H league batters lose a point for each strikeout so he shouldn't be rostered but is)

MaestroJay

#10 Post by MaestroJay »

Do you like Span,Rios,LaHair,Kubel or De Aza as a pickup over Reynolds just incase Choo misses a couple of games this week?

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Do you like Span,Rios,LaHair,Kubel or De Aza as a pickup over Reynolds just incase Choo misses a couple of games this week?
LaHair - then Kubel

and Choo is OUT tonight

MaestroJay

#12 Post by MaestroJay »

Thanks for the help.This is my roster now, do I have to do anything pitching wise or just be more matchup conscious? Any advice on how to do this?

C - Weiters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
3B - Moustakas
SS - Tulowitzki
OF - Granderson/LaHair/Jennings/Heyward
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Phillips/Choo
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Grienke
RP - Balfour/Marmol
BN - Sale

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Thanks for the help.This is my roster now, do I have to do anything pitching wise or just be more matchup conscious? Any advice on how to do this?

C - Weiters
1B - Teixeira
2B - Altuve
3B - Moustakas
SS - Tulowitzki
OF - Granderson/LaHair/Jennings/Heyward
UTIL - Freeman
BN - Phillips/Choo
DL - Morse

SP - Bumgarner/Grienke
RP - Balfour/Marmol
BN - Sale

Not sure what you mean on the pitching - should pretty much play itself....starting Bumgarner and Greinke all the time and Jaime, Morrow and Sale most of the time

Lineup looks fine obviously adjusted for days off and matchups and health with Phillips and Choo

MaestroJay

#14 Post by MaestroJay »

Was mentioned in this thread I don't have the best pitching for H2H, so wasn't sure what was meant in those lines.

Cordero vs Balfour?
Lilly vs Latos vs Garcia

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

MaestroJay wrote:Was mentioned in this thread I don't have the best pitching for H2H, so wasn't sure what was meant in those lines.

Cordero vs Balfour?
Lilly vs Latos vs Garcia
Again, all that was meant was Marmol and Morrow are guys that force you to go one way or the other in H2H in an effort to maximize points. It is going to be rare that you are able to win the WHIP category with them in the lineup, in order to do so you'll have to use some high-skilled middle guy (taking away from K's) or PERHAPS a solid starter that does not walk anyone but does not fan many either.

My point being to compete in WHIP (and maybe ERA), you need to give back in K's.

You now run the risk of losing both.

Having Marmol and Morrow in H2H is fine, so long as you just forget about WHIP and perhaps ERA and just focus on wins and strikeouts, perhaps by starter, perhaps by using a slightly less skilled 2-start guy that week one that if he gives up some runs, you don't care, you only want the win and strikeouts.

MaestroJay

#16 Post by MaestroJay »

It's a daily not weekly lineup.So I have a bit more flexibility on deciding when to start Morrow.

RP on wire
Cruz,Lidge,Shaw,Casilla,Uehara,Hensley,Adams,Crowe,
F.Rodriguez,Romo,Robertson,Jansen,Rauch,Cordero

SP on wire Alvarez,Latos,Lilly,Minor,Milone,Zambrano,Arrieta,Smyly,Burnett,Humber,Peralta,Parker,Hutchinson,Kendrick

Captain Hook

#17 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:It's a daily not weekly lineup.So I have a bit more flexibility on deciding when to start Morrow.

RP on wire
Cruz,Lidge,Shaw,Casilla,Uehara,Hensley,Adams,Crowe,
F.Rodriguez,Romo,Robertson,Jansen,Rauch,Cordero

SP on wire Alvarez, Latos, Lilly,Minor,Milone,Zambrano,Arrieta,Smyly,Burnett,Humber,Peralta,Parker,Hutchinson,Kendrick
How can those guys be on the free agent list?

MaestroJay

#18 Post by MaestroJay »

Do you like any of them better than Morrow?Or am I over thinking this ratio vs k's thing?

Do you like Casilla over Marmol? Less save probably but potential for a bit better ratio stats and I have Guerra/Balfour/Marshall

Captain Hook

#19 Post by Captain Hook »

MaestroJay wrote:Do you like any of them better than Morrow?Or am I over thinking this ratio vs k's thing?

Do you like Casilla over Marmol? Less save probably but potential for a bit better ratio stats and I have Guerra/Balfour/Marshall
1) BOTH....why are you wasting brainpower on that...more to do in life AND with your teams Jay
(only maybe there would be Latos .....But we haven't seen him pitch in the hot summer in the queen city either)

2) YES I like Casilla over Marmol