Romo or Casilla - need decision in an hour

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Romo or Casilla - need decision in an hour

#1 Post by viper »

Wilson is out for the year.

I have Romo. Should I drop him and bid on Casilla. NL-only and I have 6 good SOP along with Street & Hanrahan. There is no bench so it is a straight decision on the SF closer.

We have daily FAAB so tonight is a one time shot at Casilla. My guess is that only half the league will be bidding on him tonight - maybe a little less.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Romo or Casilla - need decision in an hour

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

My money is on Casilla and Lawr (who scores the Giants for mlb) e-mailed me the same thing.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Very interesting. I just assumed it would be Romo. Glad I saw this before my FAAB tonight at 7.

All 4 of these guys are available in one of my leagues and I have them ranked as follows:
Casilla
--------
Lidge
H rodriguez
Romo

Do we all agree on that order?

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#4 Post by Black Sox »

1. Casilla
2. Rodriguez
3. Romo
4. Lidge

While everyone assumes it will be Casilla it is still just a guess. In my one league I had the space I grabbed both last night just in case. I think Rodriguez is the better pitcher and will supplant Lidge sooner rather than later. If i was desperate for saves I'd probably swap Lidge to 2 and move everyone else down.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Actually Bochy has already said he will use both - Romo will likely get the first opportunity (hasn't pitched in a few days IIRC) but I too think that Casilla might get more saves over the long run...............also don't rule out Javier Lopez from a few saves if you have room

BUT my order would be
Casilla
Romo
then the Washington guys

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

AND btw if you have room the tricky play is to get BOTH Romo and Casilla and trade Romo after this week assuming he gets a save or two then hold Casilla and the player Romo's profit got you (I may have just leaked my Monday note)

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Yeah, its a no trade league with only 5 bench spots and no DL. So space is tight. I'll need to pick 1.

I currently have the same bid for all 3 guys not named casilla and my bid for him is 2.5 times that of the others. Would you suggest tweaking that so I'm not devoting so much to a guy that isn't really "the guy" (casilla)?

TIA

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

AllstonRockCity wrote:Yeah, its a no trade league with only 5 bench spots and no DL. So space is tight. I'll need to pick 1.

I currently have the same bid for all 3 guys not named casilla and my bid for him is 2.5 times that of the others. Would you suggest tweaking that so I'm not devoting so much to a guy that isn't really "the guy" (casilla)?

TIA
No I think he will have the most saves and the best ratios

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Well, I got Casilla.

Hopefully he take the gig and runs with it. Or at least give me stellar ratios and some saves while I wait for Farnsworth to return.

thanks all

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#10 Post by Black Sox »

Hope I'm wrong, but based on the usage last night it sure looks like it's Romo's gig. I blew $325 in FAAB in the suscriber league but was able to roster both in another league. Glad i did.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm not sure I would read too much into one game's usuge.

Also, keep in mind Romo has had some injury concerns and is not a great bet to make it through the campaign unscathed, especially since his best weapon remains that wicked slider, perhaps the most dangerous pitch to throw if remaining healthy is an objective.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#12 Post by viper »

For what it's worth, I got Casilla. I upped my bid after Todd's post [based on the Oakland/SF expert, Lawr] and that upping was the difference.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

deansdaddy

#13 Post by deansdaddy »

I paid big bucks for Casilla in the one league that I really needed to take a shot on saves - my NFBC OLC team. Competing against 863 other teams in the overall means you have to try and keep pace in all categories and after a couple teams in this league gorged on closers in the draft, I made a decision to come into the year without two many rock solid options. I did have Marshall and I also have Aceves. I had Jansen and Reed on the bench. The rest of my team is off to a great start, so getting some saves NOW was important to me so I also took the plunge on Casilla. I overbid in this league ($401 - runner up was $224) after missing out on Casilla in all three leagues I am in that run Sat FAAB. Wasn't going to let it happen again - and so I got my guy.

Onto last nights action. Romo pitched the 8th - lights out.

Casilla got the save opp. FB was at 95. He attacked the zone and induced two groundouts, a bloop hit to Pierre and then got bailed out by Brandon Crawford who made a nice play on a shot by Victorino to win the game.