Blockbuster - advice needed

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
bxm701

Blockbuster - advice needed

#1 Post by bxm701 »

Hi all,

12 team mixed with some non traditional scoring cats:
Hits, Total Bases, Runs, RBI, Net Steals, OBP.

I'm pretty sure that I could move Tex and Beltran for Kemp and Loney - should I do this? I wouldn't say I need the extra speed. By my calculations, I would gain in hits and SB and lose in TB and OBP with the rest being close.

Beltran is such a wildcard to me though, I have him projected for a healthy season but maybe I should get out of some of that risk...

Thoughts?

deansdaddy

Re: Blockbuster - advice needed

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

I would likely pass on that deal unless I had a very good alternative to Tex at 1B, which you likely don't. Tex is off to one of his usual slow starts. But he's going to hit.

Loney is barely worth a roster spot in a 12 team league IMO, so for me it's basically Tex/Beltran for Kemp. While the other team has put the best player on the table in Kemp, I think Tex and Beltran is a little too much to deal so early in the season. Do you have a lesser OF than Beltran to counter with?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Every time you see Loney's name ...think Casey Kotchman ...or Dan Johnson ... or Nick Johnson for that matter. Guys who look much better in the abstract than they do in real life. Now I'm not in love with Beltran, but the problem with Loney over Beltran is that Loney is ridiculously healthy ...so he'll get to put up mediocre numbers all season long where you just know you'll lose a minimum of 25-30 games out of Beltran each year. I'd pass.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

bxm701

#4 Post by bxm701 »

Thanks for the replies.

My next step down OF would be Willingham/Span/Joyce...none of which would get it done at this point I'm sure.

I think I am in agreement with everyone, and am definitely not a Loney supporter but let me just play devil's advocate based on the scoring cats.

He's still borderline, but Loney is definitely more valuable in a league that counts hits and total bases but doesn't count HR (similarly to how Billy Butler gets a bump in that format, albeit to a much larger extent).

I do think it's a close trade, and I do think I carry more risk with Beltran, but with that I have still passed.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#5 Post by Kelly_Leak »

I have a different opinion on the trade. In a 12 team league I generally favor the side of the deal that is getting the best player. I always figure I can upgrade someone like Loney as the year goes on through either trade or pick up.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#6 Post by Black Sox »

I'd make the deal, and for me it's not that close.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

bxm701

#7 Post by bxm701 »

What if I give Bourn, BJ Upton and Span for Kemp.

What are peoples thoughts then? It is a bit problematic because I'm giving most all my speed.

So why do it then? Because the dude is raking like a freakin' maniac....