16 Team 1st year Dynasty league

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Laughing Llama

16 Team 1st year Dynasty league

#1 Post by Laughing Llama »

My first serious dive into fantasy baseball so looking for any opinions.

Quick background - 16 team league been around a few years but decided to go keeper this year, head to head, total points, all play weekly. Points for typical offensive and pitching stats. Players will be signed for 2 to 5 year contracts with esculators based on bid price, I'll be deciding contract length in the next few days. Also have 5 minor league spots we will draft in the next week.

With 16 teams it really spreads the talent around, a couple guys went out and got 3 or 4 high priced guys and went $3 and $4 players the rest of the way, I only really targeted Kershaw as a must have, after that I tried to find value and get a well rounded team. I got stuck paying a little more then I wanted for a couple spots (Walker at 2B and Hardy at SS) but their was an early run at those positions at prices higher then I had slotted so I was forced to overpay a little later when it got thin.

C Joe Mauer 17
1B Michael Cuddyer 12 (also 2B & OF eligible)
2B Neil Walker 14
3B Aramis Ramirez 22
SS J.J. Hardy 11
2B/SS Derek Jeter 8
1B/3B Michael Morse 16 (also OF eligible)
OF Shin-Soo Choo 17
OF Brett Gardner 8
OF Torii Hunter 8
OF John Mayberry Jr. 3
UTIL Jason Bartlett 2
SP Clayton Kershaw 41
SP CC Sabathia 30
SP Cory Luebke 10
SP Mike Minor 8
SP Tim Stauffer 7
RP Jason Motte 8
RP Kyle Farnsworth 3
BE Henderson Alvarez (SP) 3
BE Alejandro De Aza (OF) 4
BE John Buck © 1
BE Alberto Callaspo (3B) 1
BE David Robertson (RP) 1
BE Jon Jay (OF) 1
BE Placido Polanco (3B) 2
BE Cory Rasmus 1 (this was an accident, laptop started to overheat about 1am and before I could reboot ESPN nominated this guy for me at a $1)
Total: 259

Laughing Llama

Re: 16 Team 1st year Dynasty league

#2 Post by Laughing Llama »

Looking for any thoughts from the seasoned players, good, bad or otherwise.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Re: 16 Team 1st year Dynasty league

#3 Post by alleyoops »

I think you did a very good job, and have a strong team for this year. You got some excellent bargains, but also overpaid for a few guys (Kershaw, Sabathia, Minor). Maybe a little more restraint on SPs would have yielded an even stronger team, but this one should be in the hunt.

There don't appear to be many strong prospects on which you speculated, which could hurt you in a dynasty league, depending on the specifics of the contract escalation, cost of breaking contracts, etc.