2 More Keepers?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
JediKnights

2 More Keepers?

#1 Post by JediKnights »

I'd like to add 2 more players to my keeper list from the following list of players: A. Rodriguez ($60), D. Ortiz ($31), J. Beckett ($25), J. Shields ($20), K. Slowey ($10), M. Wieters ($10), N. Cruz ($10), B. Morrow ($10), S. Choo ($10). Their salaries go up $10 in 2010. My league details are on my signature. Please advise.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: 2 More Keepers?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Shields and I suppose, Wieters.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

Same here, Shields and Wieters but I suppose an argument could be made for Slowey instead of Wieters. I know there is alot of hype around him, most likely well deserved but I have to wonder how depressed his runs and RBIs are going to be in that lineup. And of course where he hits in the lineup will factor into the equation and I suspect that won't sort itself out until we get closer to the beginning of the season.
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by SteveB »

Personally I think i would add Ortiz and Shields. In a 6 team league in my opinion having a lot of cash on draft day is not that big of a deal. I mean every other team could fill in their rosters and you would still have some quality players on the table. I would want the most prodcution from my keepers and then fill in from there. As such i might even consider Arod unless you think he will go for cheaper on draft day . In a 6 team league i could see him possibly going for much more.

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

Personally, I would stay away from Big Pappy. While some might point to his wrist injury as the sole reason for his off year and say he'll bounce back, I'm more pessimistic. He's 33 going into the season. Is it too much of a stretch to compare him to a past Boston 1B/DH who had a precipitous fall (stats fall; not his fall down the dugout steps) after also turning 33 and having an arm tendon injury?

Why is Wieters the same salary as Slowey, Cruz, Morrow and Choo since he didn't play at all in the big show? Anyway, as interesting as I think Cruz is (and Choo to a lesser extent), I'd go with Shields and Wieters. BTW, what's your salary cap?
Last edited by cwk1963 on January 11th, 2009, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JediKnights

#6 Post by JediKnights »

Our league salary cap is $260.
Wieters is $10 since he is a new player entry (non-draftee).
ARod was kept last year by me at $50 but performed more like a $30 player. I'm concerned if I kept him again this year at $60, he will disappoint me again - and he is a year older.
I like Shields but in this league, pitchers rarely go above $18 at the draft - riskier than batters.
I'm not considering Ortiz because he is getting older and doesn't have Manny to protect him. Ortiz's bat looked slow and was swinging out of the strike zone during the playoffs.
I'm definitely keeping MCab, ARam, Grady, Markakis and Baker.
Additional suggestions?

JediKnights

#7 Post by JediKnights »

If Wieters does not start the year in the majors ala Longoria, or if the O's sign a veteran C to help with Wieters' transition, will he be worth protecting at $10???

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

JediKnights wrote: I like Shields but in this league, pitchers rarely go above $18 at the draft - riskier than batters.
But don't you already have a $25 Josh Beckett? I'd agree with you if Shields was your top unit pitcher - but he didn't go 18 units - he's 20 with an extension. Do you believe Shlelds is a 20 unit value? If you do, you keep him. Top pitchers in an AL only are tough to find.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

cwk1963

#9 Post by cwk1963 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
JediKnights wrote: I like Shields but in this league, pitchers rarely go above $18 at the draft - riskier than batters.
But don't you already have a $25 Josh Beckett? I'd agree with you if Shields was your top unit pitcher - but he didn't go 18 units - he's 20 with an extension. Do you believe Shlelds is a 20 unit value? If you do, you keep him. Top pitchers in an AL only are tough to find.
Ummmmm...what he said. I think Shields definitely has to be one of them. If you can stash Wieters if he doesn't get the playing time then he's the other IMHO.