Guess who has the NUMBER THREE pick tonight

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Guess who has the NUMBER THREE pick tonight

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

i should have realized this would happen but it never struck me - we knew the Braun decision would be delivered by draft time.

NFBC Slow Draft done in one sitting and I have #3, with the intentions of Miggy or Albert.

But what if Miggy or Albert go 1-2? Image
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

Re: Guess who has the NUMBER THREE pick tonight

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

If they do indeed go 1-2 I vote you put your money where your keystrokes are and take Cano. As you've outlined, there isn't a 'safer' pick left at that point.

captgus
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by captgus »

I don't know, how do you pass up on the average and counting stats that Braun provides? Especially with the depth at second base this year.
"How can we go on a beer run when we don't have any beer left?"

The General, Spring 1991

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Normally (and you have to go back to before the test was revealed to get that answer re Braun) I would have said Braun over Kemp - largely on BAvg considerations...................BUT I can understand anyone that thinks that the amount of attention he will have to deal with - today and going forward may be too tough mentally for someone to deal with and stay focused.

Actually I think you will still get one of your two targets but we shall see.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

With the caveat that I have taken a little bit of playing time away from Miggy, not much, but a little, the top-4 now look like

Pujols
Kemp
Braun
Miggy (1B)

If I put Miggy at 3rd, he flip flops with Braun.

I'm not even sure who I would have taken previously at #3, it may have been Tulo since I may play the one to win the overall and take more chances, not sure yet.

This could be serious overthinking, but there are already something like 40 teams with Braun in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds that have a built in advantage. We almost have to hope Braun struggles to even the playing field. So part of me is even wondering if I should skip him, because even is he kicks ass, while some of those 40 teams will still not be good, a few anyway will be good and I'll be behind them.

Hmm....
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

southpaw

#6 Post by southpaw »

Even before the news of Braun's pending suspension, I had Kemp over Braun just due to the plain fact that Prince is gone. This will affect Braun more than people think.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

southpaw wrote:Even before the news of Braun's pending suspension, I had Kemp over Braun just due to the plain fact that Prince is gone. This will affect Braun more than people think.
I don't agree with this, though I know it is the proverbial conventional wisdom.

Aramis Ramirez replaces Fielder (not Gamel) and the drop to ARam (when healthy) is not that significant.

Gamel, in essence, replaces Casey McGehee. THIS to me is the key. If Gamel can do anything, then Aramis + Gamel = Fielder + McGehee, or at least it is close enough not to worry about.

Then factor in Hart or Weeks hitting leadoff and I don't see any difference. I don't believe in lineup protection IMPROVING a hitter in terms of skills. I do think it reduces run producing chances either by having fewer runners on base to knock in or being pitched around and walked, but as suggested, with ARam, I don't see Braun being pitched around and I think the top of the order will provide him ample RBI opportunities.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Purely subjective - but both Braun and Miggy have significant question marks about them (How playing third may affect a recovering alcoholic on offense and the crap Braun is going to take all year and how that treatment affects him (not to mention I'll assume he smart enough to get off the juice)). I would go out of the box and pick Juston Upton or CarGo - assuming Kemp goes ahead of your pick.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Purely subjective - but both Braun and Miggy have significant question marks about them (How playing third may affect a recovering alcoholic on offense and the crap Braun is going to take all year and how that treatment affects him (not to mention I'll assume he smart enough to get off the juice)). I would go out of the box and pick Juston Upton or CarGo - assuming Kemp goes ahead of your pick.
Getting J-Up or CarGo at #3 would be a go for it move, but they are going in the 8-11 range so I would not gain that much of an advantage. I still want to incorporate reliability into my #3 pick and since I differ in opinion with the subjective nature of Cabrera and Braun's off the field issues, they are both still high on my reliability list.

I think I have made my decision, but still hope I don't have to make it.

Milnertime

#10 Post by Milnertime »

Braun's been dealing with people hating him since he came up.

He's really cocky and he's always got a chip on his shoulder. It makes him easy to hate, so I just don't think it will affect him that much. He was cocky enough to think he would get off for this failed drug test, after all.

Mickey4081

#11 Post by Mickey4081 »

Your pick will and or should be Matt Kemp, Pujols and or Miggy. My guess is, it will be Pujols.

Captain Hook

#12 Post by Captain Hook »

Todd took Braun (over Kemp, Poodles and Miggy gone) in the first David Wright in the second and Felix Hernandez in the 3rd

Mickey4081

#13 Post by Mickey4081 »

Hmmm I've got a feeling he may regret that pick but we shall see. :D

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

you nailed Grandy/Cruz last year

but, we'll see...

This is quite the rush.

literally and figuratively

josh

#15 Post by josh »

It will be interesting to see how many of the 2nd-4th Round Braun teams will do. Of course they have an advantage but in a few of my leagues he was going early 2nd round or 3rd. I wish I had got in on him but the teams who got him still have a lot of work to do.