Chone Figgins

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Chone Figgins

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Reports say that Chone Figgins is going to be a full time player and may even lead off. Last year he had an OPS of .484
in 313 plate appearances! That's just what a team wants in a lead off hitter. :roll: What's going on? Are the Mariners
hoping to catch lightning in a bottle for two months so that they can trade him to get rid of his contract?

I know Seager wasn't extremely successful last year, but playing Figgins as the starter at 3B most of the time surely
can't be better.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Chone Figgins

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

If I was a betting man I'd bet that Wedge is using this to light a fire under Saeger. The only other thing might be that they are serious about using Montero behind the plate and maybe(?) putting Saeger at DH, afterall Kyle's in the bigs for his bat, not his glove.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

The "player-speak" is that moving from lead-off to second got in his head and messed with his approach. I don't think it is all motivation - the M's have a couple of prospects better than Seager in the chute -- I think it is more "put up or shut up" to Figgins.

We'll see.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Add in the fact that Wedge would like to have Figgins lead off this year IF he can win the job and will then move Ichiro down to third spot in the order

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#5 Post by CubFan »

$26 million big ones says it to me.That's what he has left on his contract that goes through 2014, although the last year is dependent on his PAs in 2013. That's alot of money to just throw out the window and get no return. It's not like the M's are going to contend this year. It's like Todd said, it's put up or shut up time. I think they want to see what he can do to start the year. If he can get back to what he was maybe they can trade him for a few lower end prospects at the AS break. If he looks like he will come out of spring training with a starting gig I think he's worth a $1 spec bid.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - I was in the middle of my Fast/Slow draft when the "news" was posted on Rotoworld.

I actually grabbed Figgins in Rd 26 searching for some speed late in that draft. I had seen something previously on MLB.com about what Todd had mentioned previously about him struggling to adjust batting behind Ichiro. So I took the shot.

Needless to say I was happy to read what I read with him being given the chance to stake a claim to the leadoff spot, because if he can take it and "run" with it - we know that 40 SB's are a possibility. I feel like I got a real bargain here, because if this draft happens today, most likely he is gone WAY earlier as speed guys were flying off the shelves.

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#7 Post by aburt19 »

Nice pick up that late in the draft. At that point most everyone has issues or they would have been picked up earlier.

That being said, when a player has an OBP of around .240, he's limited in the number of SB he can get. I have trouble with
believing players who want to blame their line up position, hitting coach, etc. when the simple fact is that he just didn't get
the job done.

deansdaddy

#8 Post by deansdaddy »

True - that .240 was ugly - but it is also an outlier in terms of his career.

2010 - .340
2009 - .395
2008 - .367
2007 - .393
2006 - .336
2005 - .352

So there IS something here to back up the belief that he can rebound. He was also battled injuries much of the year starting with a thumb injury in April, a knee in May, a "personal" absence in August and finally the hip flexor that ended his season.

The biggest thing to admit - is the Mariners know they are stuck with him - so they have to try and see if they can help him become somethin close to the player they thought they were getting.

Oh yeah - he's going to likely be used much like Bonafacio - meaning that along with 3B - he is likely to see time at 2B and OF which gives him a value boost in the Slow Draft format as well.

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

when Chone 1st arrived he batted 9th for the Angels. Once he proved he could handle that, Scioscia moved him to leadoff. That move didn't bother him. In fact I think that 1st year he hit leadoff the whole year was the year that he challenged for a batting title. I'm not buying the 'didn't like the 2 hole' argument. Not saying that he won't do well this year or anything like that, merely that I don't buy that hitting 2nd was the reason he was 1 of the worst hitters in the majors last year. It's maybe a piece in the puzzle, but not THE reason.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#10 Post by CubFan »

It really grates on me when a professional hitter or pitcher for that matter has to make excuses for why they didn't do well.....even if there is some truth to it. That to me becomes a mental hurdle for them and an unwillingness to confront the real issue(s) behind they poor play. I've always believed you either get better or stand aside and let the next guy take your place. That being said he still makes for a decent end game play. It'll be interesting to see how well/poor he plays in ST.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -