Hamilton reportedly has alcohol relapse

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Hamilton reportedly has alcohol relapse

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Thought I would post a link to this story via kffl.com

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/129697/fantas ... Concepcion

Here is a link to the press conference:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 2/34681590

I think Hamilton did real well in the press conference. Curious to hear what everyone thinks this does to his stock in drafts?

TheRunner77

Re: Hamilton reportedly has alcohol relapse

#2 Post by TheRunner77 »

I wonder how much internal turmoil is lingering from last year.

You'll recall that he's the one who threw that ball into the stands and that man who was with his kid, dove for the ball and plunged to his death.

Just conjecture on my part. Certainly adds to the risk factor.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Maybe this is talked about in Ryan's links, but the issues likely revolve around the fact his "accountability partner", Jerry Narron left to take a hitting coach position with another team and his father in law backed out of an agreement to replace him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by SteveB »

How much coverage this story is getting is a joke! I dont see it being that big of a deal at all. I am not making light of addiction or of his personal struggle but he is only human and now that he is rededicating himself to recovery, this could even be a good thing. The people who should know about it (boss and wife) clearly know. I think this small slip will not affect his year at all. He will have the same risk to me as he did prior to the incident.

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

SteveB wrote: I think this small slip will not affect his year at all. He will have the same risk to me as he did prior to the incident.
For someone who has battled the demons he has and been through what he's been through, there is no such thing as a small slip up. A small slip up one day has him back to smoking crack the next. This is why the vast majority of addicts with co-addictions make it a point to completely abstain from anything that could lead to a relapse (just 1 glass of wine at Thanksgiving or non-alcoholic beer, for example.)

I am not saying I think this will affect him this year any more so than in previous years as it is still February and he has time to take the necessary steps. I think the risk is the same as it has always been, this is just a reminder that it is there.

Sobriety is a life long battle.