Keeper help for a old newbie!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
bush8791

Keeper help for a old newbie!

#1 Post by bush8791 »

Hello all. A little background. Used to be a regular here a few years back, but when our 25 year old NL only league folded I kind of lost interest. A couple of friends persuaded me back in last year, but a different style and format. Being away I had lost track of things and put up a pretty miserable showing and don't want to be embarassed again, so I need some help.

It's a 14 team mixed league, 5X5. It's a $260 value league, but done in draft format using MLB values. Guys go up $5 each year and there are no time limits. I'll be drafting 2nd each round thanks to my stirring next to last place finish. Here's my roster with 2012 costs, I appreciate any and all help and will most likely be back often with questions.

Russell Martin 11 ---------------Brandon Beachy 6
Yorvit Torrealba 11----------------- Chad Billingsly 14
Mark Trumbo 6-----------------Matt Capps 11
Mike Aviles 6-----------------Gio Gonzalez 12
Pablo Sandoval 11----------------Clayton Kershaw 21
Cliff Pennington 11------------------Hiroki Kuroda 11
Dee Gordon 6-----------------Jason Motte 6
Carlos Lee 14-------------Max Scherzer 17
Michael Brantly 6 Julio Teheran 6
Raul Ibanez 6 Rubby De La Rossa 6
Austin Jackson 11 Philip Hughes 17
Jerry Sands 6 Fernando Rodney 11
Drew Stubbs 16
Yonder Alonso 6
Andre Eithier 22
Matt LaPorta 6

Let me know who you think and then I'll go through a couple of trade offers I've received. Thanks all

SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: Keeper help for a old newbie!

#2 Post by SteveB »

Clayton Kershaw 21
Gio Gonzalez 12
Pablo Sandoval 11
Dee Gordon 6
Jason Motte 6
Yonder Alonso 6

How many keepers are we talking about here...min and max?

The ones i listed above would be my for sure keepers. Depending on keeping requirements and other team rosters there is a few more i think are at value or close
to value with Stubbs, Jackson , and Martin. I do like Teheren but feel you could probably get back for cheaper at end of draft.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

You don't say what your lineup requirements are but here are the guys I like (presminng standard 14/9)

Russell Martin 11
Pablo Sandoval 11
Dee Gordon 6
Austin Jackson 11
Yonder Alonso 6

Clayton Kershaw 21
Jason Motte 6
Brandon Beachy 6
Matt Capps 11

bush8791

#4 Post by bush8791 »

Sorry, I didn't list the specifics. Standard 14/9 roster requirements. There are no time limits on how long we can keep a player, and no limits on the number we keep.

I was thinking:
Sandoval @ 11
Gordon 6
Stubbs 16
Alonso 6
and considering Trumbo @ 6, but concerned with his playing time.
Beachy 6
Gonzalez 12
Kershaw 21
Motte 6 I considered Teheran at 6, but also think he might be cheaper in the draft.
Also considered Kuroda at 11 depending where he ends up.

I think I'm pretty good pitching wise going in but need a lot of help on offense. I've been offered Pedroia (32 this season) for my 2nd round pick, and I've been offered Uggla (16) for Motte

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

1) Kuroda is pitching for the Yankees (strikeouts down and ERA up, but W increase)

2) I wouldn't trade Motte

3) While you don't have a 2B to freeze and I like Pedroia, I am thinking there might be a better player in the second round

bush8791

#6 Post by bush8791 »

Kiroda is interesting for the Yankess.

I think I would only move Motte if I can get a another closer in place, the guy with Pedroia is now talking Kimbrell ($11) for the pick. Basically I would trade Motte and my 2nd for Uggla, Kimbrell and the last pick in the fourth.

I agree about Pedroia, plus in the 2nd round I'd like to get someone that might be a better value for a year or two.

Thanks for the thoughts.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Brandon Beachy 6
Mark Trumbo 6
Matt Capps 11
Pablo Sandoval 11
Clayton Kershaw 21
Dee Gordon 6
Jason Motte 6

Borderline considerations
Michael Brantly 6
Julio Teheran 6
Drew Stubbs 16
Yonder Alonso 6
Andre Eithier 22

I keep Trumbo because of who he plays for- Scioscia will find him ABs until he shows he's not worthy of them. He'll infuriate you by sitting guys you think should be playing - but we forget the converse is also true - he will get guys AB who you think there's not room for. Whereas Gio is the Holy Grail situation this year (lefty pitcher from AL to NL), I do not trust him and his magic curveball yet. He still walks too many guys.

Neither of the trade offers are enticing enough to pull the trigger. As for Kuroda - I think he's interesting except for one thing - his HR per 9 IP went up over one last year - and he leaves Dodgertown and the land of the hitting pitcher to got to Yankee Stadium and DH'ville. This situation is reminiscent of Javy Vasquez coming back to that new launching pad.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

bush8791

#8 Post by bush8791 »

I should add another parameter of this league (this is only my second year in it and I'm still trying to figure it out). The first 12 players on your roster, you can spend up to $194 dollars on them. Doesn't matter postions or anything, just 12 players/$194. If you don't spend your $194, it's gone. The next eleven players, you have the remaining $66 to spend to bring your total up to $260. I can't explain the whys of this, it's just how it is. So I think it changes how you go about with keepers, no sense in not getting close to the $194 with your first 12.

I traded Alonso at $6 for Pence at $26. Now if keep Sandovan 11, Gordon 6, Jackson 11, Stubbs 16, Beachy 6, Capps 11, Gonzalez 12, Kershaw 21 and Motte 6, I'll have 10 players for a total of $126 leaving my two spots and $68. I should be able to get someone like M Cabrerra, Crawford, or Texeira at my pick. They have such high values, most likely they won't be kept.

Confusing to me.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

To me as well and if there is no good reason for it and it is not a league of officemates or good friends, I can't see wasting the time and effort on a system that makes no sense.

bush8791

#10 Post by bush8791 »

It has several friends in it and last year they were in kind of a bing, so I took over a team. Needless to say, I did not fare well, and this year I figure if I'm going to put the time in I might as well try and make it productive. My main problem is that while I know many of the owners and their tendancies (or favorite teams) I just don't have any experience with how keepers will play out in something different like this

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

Yeah the problem is that there is little to no value to for underpriced players
But the bottom line is that you just have to keep the twelve best players you can......the one thing you can do is to save really good (generally young) cheap players and then go Stars & Scrubs in the auction - those two or three expensive players you get in this year's auction will be keepers next year and in 2013 you will be looking to supplement a good keeper list and maximize value.

I would spend a ton to get Bryce Harper or Mike Trout......or Stephen Strasburg (types if specifics not available)