Keepers 2012 Help!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
rebelalliance

Keepers 2012 Help!

#1 Post by rebelalliance »

I am part of a 6 team AL only 4x4 (BA, HR, RBI, SB, W, K, ERA,SV) $260 standard (14 Hitters, 9 Pitchers) auction keeper ($10 added each year) league. I can keep up to 7 players at the following prices – Carlos Santana (20), Miguel Cabrera (55), Brett Lawrie (10), Dustin Ackley (10), Eric Hosmer (10), Peter Bourjos (10), Howie Kendrick (19), Delmon young (16), Mike Moustakas (6), Jason Kipnis (10), Mike Trout (6), Matt Moore (10). Who would you keep? Thank you for any insight!
Last edited by rebelalliance on January 19th, 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AllstonRockCity

Re: Keepers 2012 Help!

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I am going to assume you are going for it this year (if not my list would be totally different). In a league this shallow there's no need to gamble on unproven entities as the WW should be well stocked all year. My 7:
Santana
Miggy
Lawrie (slightly unproven but 3B is tough this year and he is #7 for me on this list)
Hosmer (I say last year makes him 'proven')
Bourjos (you need steals)
Kendrick
Young

You should really try to package a bunch of those 'prospects' for 1 or 2 elite type players.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by SteveB »

do you HAVE to keep any? or can you keep anywhere from 0-7?

rebelalliance

#4 Post by rebelalliance »

I do not need to keep any of the players if I choose not to

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

rebelalliance wrote:I am part of a 6 team AL only 4x4 (BA, HR, RBI, SB, W, K, ERA,SV) $260 standard (14 Hitters, 9 Pitchers) auction keeper ($10 added each year) league. I can keep up to 7 players at the following prices – Carlos Santana (20), Miguel Cabrera (55), Brett Lawrie (10), Dustin Ackley (10), Eric Hosmer (10), Peter Bourjos (10), Howie Kendrick (19), Delmon young (16), Mike Moustakas (6), Jason Kipnis (10), Mike Trout (6), Matt Moore (10). Who would you keep? Thank you for any insight!
I would DEFINITELY keep
C. Santana @$20
Lawrie @$10
Hosmer @$10
Moustakas @$6
Moore @$10

So for me before I fill the last two spots I have to answer these questions:
1) Will I have a good chance to Win this year?
2) Do I have any minor leaguers?
In a long term keeper league it is almost unimaginable to not keep Trout.....but if you think the rest of your keepers are way ahead in your league, as it stands today with maybe he starts the year in AAA I might trade him to solidify my keepers

But I would likely keep
Trout @$6 and
Kendrick @$19

rebelalliance

#6 Post by rebelalliance »

Trout will be $6 this year so does that make the decision easier?

rebelalliance

#7 Post by rebelalliance »

I'm a bit apprehensive about Moustakas this year. I was thinking Bourjos instead

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

rebelalliance wrote:Trout will be $6 this year so does that make the decision easier?
Sorry I knew it was $6 just mistyped - Fixed

The problem is not the price. Did you read my other comments? Are you prepared for him to be in AAA and unavailable for X weeks/months? Given it is a keeper league I WOULD keep him as I said above......unless

rebelalliance wrote:I'm a bit apprehensive about Moustakas this year. I was thinking Bourjos instead
Again it is a keeper league - Why are you apprehensive about Moose?

Bourjos is a very good keeper @$10 - but you can't keep them all.......you could keep Bourjos over Kendrick but would then have to pay for a 2B

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Captain, I really think you are overlooking the most important factor: a 6 team league with standard 23man rosters.

also, he has like every top prospect from last year which tells me they probably aren't too hard to acquire in his league.

miggy is probably a bargain at 55 in this format.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#10 Post by SteveB »

AllstonRockCity wrote:Captain, I really think you are overlooking the most important factor: a 6 team league with standard 23man rosters.

also, he has like every top prospect from last year which tells me they probably aren't too hard to acquire in his league.

See that is the way i was leaning on this one. I think i might not actually keep 7. With only 6 teams the waiver wire will be well stocked and rookies will be called up throughout the year that aren't drafted. I think its likely a few of the ones listed are at prices that can be replaced for less money. To me this format screams "stars and scrubs" and while there is nice solid players and touted highly regarded rookies he is missing any super stars (except Cabrera)

Who i kept at this point would depend on the teams and their potential keepers. I do like at a glance the oirginal 7 listed by AllstonRockCity but could change up the last few depending on other teams, etc. Would the super stars all go back into the mix? or are quite a few like Cabrera being kept at high prices? what do you think Pujols will end up going for based on past drafts?

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

AllstonRockCity wrote:Captain, I really think you are overlooking the most important factor: a 6 team league with standard 23man rosters.

Not overlooking it at all....BUT with small dollar Quality keepers that give me built in profit, I will likely have more money than some at the draft.....and I didn't overlook Miguel Cabrera and know that might be the standard for auction prices for his league.....BUT since it's an AL only league there IS a new 1B who WILL be in the auction pool this year - that gives him the chance to upgrade to Pujols OR possibly get Cabrera for less than $55

You can't win by tying your hands with an auction price that drains the profit from your other keepers
(unless you have unlimited keepers)

rebelalliance

#12 Post by rebelalliance »

Stars and scrubs tends to be the way teams draft in my league.

Captain Hook

#13 Post by Captain Hook »

rebelalliance wrote:Stars and scrubs tends to be the way teams draft in my league.
As they (sort of) should in such a SHALLOW league.....BUT good cheap keepers can be just as effective in building a team that will last a year or two - you can always but some studs in the auction