Strategy help for new dynasty league

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
TheMusialSuspects

Strategy help for new dynasty league

#1 Post by TheMusialSuspects »

Joined my first dynasty league and looking for some insight on how to tackle the minor league portion of our draft.

It's a slow auction via message board - 16 teams standard $260. Players who are still rookie eligible (Moore, Trout, etc.) are not available in our MLB auction.

After the MLB auction, we hold a separate minors auction. Everyone starts with $100 and you can fill up to 10 spots, but you don't have to fill them all. Here's where it gets tricky... Regardless of what you pay for a player, their salary will start at $1 when they get called up and then escalate by year - $1 (year 1), $2 (year 2), $3 (year 3), then an additional $5 for as many years as you want to keep the player. In other words, you can have a player on your roster for 8 years before his salary reaches $30.

I have a feeling the top minor league guys - Moore, Trout, Harper, Miller, Bauer could go for $50+ easy. Once we draft the minor league guys we cannot add any more minor leaguers to our roster until next season. At that point, you get back the draft value of any players that you don't want to keep and anyone who is no longer minor league eligible. For example, if I pay $60 for Matt Moore, next year I'll have $60 available to bid on minor leaguers (assuming Moore is no longer rookie eligible).

Anyone have any experience on how this might play out? Any help/advice is appreciated.

TheRunner77

Re: Strategy help for new dynasty league

#2 Post by TheRunner77 »

I would target the top minor leaguers who have a demonstrated ability through several levels and where they were either age-appropriate or younger for each of those levels.

Matt Moore qualifies.

Given that you can hold on to him long term at a great price, he is a building block and anchor, who only happens to carry a temporary minor leaguer label.

I would make sure to nab him by going comfortably beyond what you think others may bid. Then followed by a bid on Harper, depending on how much I've bid on Moore.

On second and third players, favor hitters over pitchers of equal value. Also, favor elite pitchers and elite hitters with a closer ETA than those who might only arrive 2 or 3 years from now, since the latter carry substantially more risk.

Moore is a beast unto himself.

Moore is so high above the rest that you can look at it another way. Even if you blew your full $100 on him, you could probably trade him later for 3 high-level prospects, if you needed to. I'd want to make sure I'd nab him no matter what. Plus, you get your $100 back next year.

I'll assume everyone will target Moore but very few will be willing to pay the price. I'd go the full $100 on Moore and not care how 16 other teams end up with the 2nd and third best players. But first, you have to be convinced that Moore is substantially ahead of the 2nd best player -- if you are, then I'd go all in.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I almost agree with Runner - but he says favor the hitter over the pitcher but doesn't apply that to your most expensive pick. I probably would based on the fact that Trout (if he is the best eligible hitter and it's either Trout or Harper) is more likely to be worth more over the course of the time you have him AND without the associated pitching risk.

And obviously you can't spend $100 if that is your budget for ten players.....BUT I do agree with going to the mat if you can get Trout or Harper or Moore - and I would go all the way to $91 IF I had to (and you have to know your leaguemates). The reason is that you shouldn't be afraid of drafting nine one dollar players - trust me I can give you names of 200 players and your league is only going to roster 160. (another BUT could we please do that part in the Platinum Forum)

The first thing to do is to get a list of ALL the top rookie eligible players - really what you want to do is make sure that anyone else that would fit into the STUD tier isn't missed - Brett Lawrie comes to mind as an example even though I think he got too many at bats last year.

Back to the first player(s) if this is a new league you may not have much but the regular player auction to draw on to know if there is anyone else in the room smart enough to have this plan. IF YOU have a personal preference for one of those players and they are the first one to come then you have to shoot your wad. Hopefully your second or third choice comes up first and you can watch and see what happens (because if you don't have to go "all in" you wouldn't .......assuming you want to risk it)

TheRunner77

#4 Post by TheRunner77 »

Captain Hook wrote:Well I almost agree with Runner - but he says favor the hitter over the pitcher but doesn't apply that to your most expensive pick.
I absolutely do where the pitcher and hitter are of equal or similar value.

Moore appears to be the more polished, more developped and arguably the more talented player from the pool. Since Moore is the best player, I want the best player.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I know you called this a dynasty league but the fact there are escalating salaries already makes it have keeper league implications.

How many players can you keep from year to year?

The fewer you keep, the more I favor hitters.

True dynasty has no salaries and keep almost your whole roster in perpetuity.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

TheMusialSuspects

#6 Post by TheMusialSuspects »

Todd,

A good point - not a true dynasty league as we have escalating salaries, but there is no limit to the number of players we can keep.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

So since there is an auction, there will also be players not kept because they will be cost prohibitive.

As much as I like Matt Moore, and Trout for that matter, the key to this league is building up a farm system where you have a bunch of $1 farm players as over time, the vast majority of your best keepers will be minors. Sure, there will be the occasional Jose Bautista or Asdrubal Cabrera, but the key is $1 minors with the slow escalation.

So absolute worst case is Perry's 91+9 suggestion, trusting we can help you uncover some gems, but I don't know, I trust us as much as anyone, but I think I would prefer to secure at least a couple higher rated prospects then trust us for the rest. If that takes me out of Moore or Trout, so be it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#8 Post by Captain Hook »

TheRunner77 wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:Well I almost agree with Runner - but he says favor the hitter over the pitcher but doesn't apply that to your most expensive pick.

Moore appears to be the more polished, more developped and arguably the more talented player from the pool. Since Moore is the best player, I want the best player.
Moore is not the best player he could get .....did you forget about Bryce Harper?
Moore IS the most major league ready and will have the most value THIS year

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

Also if you are using ROY eligibility (130 AB or 50 IP) then Jesus Montero is high on the list - maybe right at the top IF he is catcher eligible in your league (not in most)

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#10 Post by SteveB »

players who have already played on the big team might still have minor league status but can't they be drafted in the MLB draft portion. You said minor draft comes after the regular draft so I am thinking most of those names will be gone. Certainly Montero, Moore,Lawrie...I would look to maximize rookies in the regular draft and then add 10 more solid minors at cheapest price point there is a lot available.

Nevermind just re read and missed the NOT eligible line in original post......

TheRunner77

#11 Post by TheRunner77 »

Captain Hook wrote:
TheRunner77 wrote:

Moore is not the best player he could get .....did you forget about Bryce Harper?
Moore IS the most major league ready and will have the most value THIS year
You like oranges, I like apples.

I think an argument could be made either way. My personal preference is to go with the more polished and MLB ready talent and that would be Moore.