Keepers for 2012

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
hoosierdaddy

Keepers for 2012

#1 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Yonder Alonso - $5 OF,UT
A. McCutchen - $36
R. Braun - $40
A. Presley - $5
D. Fowler - $16
J. Sands - $7
C. Heisey - $10
E. Young Jr. - $1
S. Drew - $15
A. Rizzo - $5
H. Ramirez -$44
B. Crawford - $5
J. Sellers - $5

M. Minor - $1
C. Kimbrel - $6
B. Beachy $1
J. Jurrjens - $1
J. Lyles - $1

Minor Leaguers
B. Harper - $4
S. Miller - $5
T. Bauer - $5

I get to keep 8 keepers and 2 Minor Leaguers. $280 budget in NL Only 5x5 roto. There will be trading beginning in February.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keepers for 2012

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Go Braves!!

My 8, without knowing league context, inflation, level of dump trading, how long you get to keep them and potential salary increases....

Yonder Alonso - $5 OF,UT
A. McCutchen - $36
C. Heisey - $10

M. Minor - $1
C. Kimbrel - $6
B. Beachy $1
J. Jurrjens - $1
J. Lyles - $1

Minor Leaguers
B. Harper - $4
S. Miller - $5/T. Bauer - $5 flip a coin, Bauer closer, Miller better park, perhaps better pitcher

ideally, I would look to move at least 1, hopefully 2 of the $1 pitchers, pair them with someone else and get a real good bat. But if you keep all 5, you just need 1 front line starter ($25?), one back end closer ($15) and 2 more decent starters ($15?). That's a killer $65 staff, especially in a $280 league.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by SteveB »

with all the Rizzo talk out there right now you might be able to package a 5 Rizzo and a 1 SP for a decent bat.

When is your keeper list due ?

hoosierdaddy

#4 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Todd Zola wrote: My 8, without knowing league context, inflation, level of dump trading, how long you get to keep them and potential salary increases....

Yonder Alonso - $5 OF,UT
A. McCutchen - $36
C. Heisey - $10

M. Minor - $1
C. Kimbrel - $6
B. Beachy $1
J. Jurrjens - $1
J. Lyles - $1

Minor Leaguers
B. Harper - $4
S. Miller - $5/T. Bauer - $5 flip a coin, Bauer closer, Miller better park, perhaps better pitcher

ideally, I would look to move at least 1, hopefully 2 of the $1 pitchers, pair them with someone else and get a real good bat. But if you keep all 5, you just need 1 front line starter ($25?), one back end closer ($15) and 2 more decent starters ($15?). That's a killer $65 staff, especially in a $280 league.

We start 15 hitters (2C, 1b,2b,3b,ss,ci,mi,2 Ut,5of and 10 pitchers); after this year, you can resign any player for an additional 2 years at a $5 increase; inflation is an unknown since this is the league's second year, but I would guess the early rounds to be pretty high, as that was the trend in the league when it was re-draft for the previous 6 years; player dump - I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Dump trading refers to the style of trading in keeper leagues where you trade a high priced guy or a guy on an expiring contract to someone looking to win for some players with better contracts. It is sort of like what Billy Beane has done, dealing Cahill then Gio.

Some leagues discourage it, some encourage it. Sounds silly, but sometimes if dump trading is pretty much open market, you might keep someone you personally do not think is a great keeper, for the sole purpose of trading him in-season to someone who does.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote: Sounds silly, but sometimes if dump trading is pretty much open market, you might keep someone you personally do not think is a great keeper, for the sole purpose of trading him in-season to someone who does.
It took me years to figure this out, and it is a wonderful strategy. If you know in Feb/March that you aren't in the running for that year, you keep your best players regardless of contract, then trade them mid-season for keepers.

hoosierdaddy

#7 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Todd Zola wrote:Dump trading refers to the style of trading in keeper leagues where you trade a high priced guy or a guy on an expiring contract to someone looking to win for some players with better contracts. It is sort of like what Billy Beane has done, dealing Cahill then Gio.

Some leagues discourage it, some encourage it. Sounds silly, but sometimes if dump trading is pretty much open market, you might keep someone you personally do not think is a great keeper, for the sole purpose of trading him in-season to someone who does.
Yes, we do allow this. For example, keeping Braun in case in the mid-season I could trade him for some good keepers?

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

hoosierdaddy wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Dump trading refers to the style of trading in keeper leagues where you trade a high priced guy or a guy on an expiring contract to someone looking to win for some players with better contracts. It is sort of like what Billy Beane has done, dealing Cahill then Gio.

Yes, we do allow this. For example, keeping Braun in case in the mid-season I could trade him for some good keepers?
Exactly.

League's have their auction budget, which dictates the prices for players in the preseason looking forward. However once a league starts the in-season cap is typically much higher. You keep people viewing them in the context of the in-season cap rather than the auction 'cap'.

So yes, right now, NO one would pay $34 (or whatever) for Braun, but come June, teams will be lining up to have him at that same price, that's when you pilfer their farm system or their well priced major leaguers.

hoosierdaddy

#9 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Alright, looking at my keepers, I have been offered Dominick Brown at $4. Is this someone I should look to pursue?

hoosierdaddy

#10 Post by hoosierdaddy »

He also is offering up Mesoraco at $5. He wants Kimbrel ($6), but not wanting to move him right now.

Captain Hook

#11 Post by Captain Hook »

No and No

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Not even close. As Perry mentioned in another thread, Moscosco in Oakland was an interesting notion - not so much in Colorado. Brown may not even make the team. Granted it's off season column filler,but Amaro is on record stating he'd prefer Brown start the year in Triple A.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

hoosierdaddy

#13 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Any of these players worth getting for a $1 Beachy or $6 Kimbrel. (NL Only League)
Fielder ($35)
B. Phillips ($27)
Zimmerman ($33)
Stubbs ($28)
Victorino ($27)
Ramos ($1) Catcher - Nationals
Goldschmidgt ($5)
Clippard ($1)
D. Hudson ($11)
Hamels ($19)
Bumgarner ($10)

Not sure about picking up hitters. New to Keeper league.

Captain Hook

#14 Post by Captain Hook »

hoosierdaddy wrote:Any of these players worth getting for a $1 Beachy or $6 Kimbrel. (NL Only League)
Fielder ($35)
B. Phillips ($27)
Zimmerman ($33)
Stubbs ($28)
Victorino ($27)
Ramos ($1) Catcher - Nationals
Goldschmidgt ($5)
Clippard ($1)
D. Hudson ($11)
Hamels ($19)
Bumgarner ($10)

Not sure about picking up hitters. New to Keeper league.

You don't say how many teams in the league?

my thoughts....

1) you shouldn't even think about trading Kimbrel

2) I would trade Beachy for a $1 Ramos (look at the numbers - 15 home runs last year in less than 400 ab.....should be the everyday catcher this year)

hoosierdaddy

#15 Post by hoosierdaddy »

9 team league. Start 15 hitters and 10 pitchers (any combo)

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#16 Post by SteveB »

I would upgrade to Hamels, Baumgarner, or even Hudson for the 1.oo Beachy. In a NL only with some inflation likely all three would go for 2x that and will all earn roughly double on your investement. Beachy could earn quite a bit of profit but I would perfer the "sure thing"

hoosierdaddy

#17 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Okay, I traded a $1 Beachy for $1 W. Ramos to help with hitting. I have an offer for my $1 Jurjjens for a $18 Castro. He also has a $17 Bourn. Either of these worth pursuing, or do I just save my money for the draft.

Captain Hook

#18 Post by Captain Hook »

hoosierdaddy wrote:Okay, I traded a $1 Beachy for $1 W. Ramos to help with hitting. I have an offer for my $1 Jurjjens for a $18 Castro. He also has a $17 Bourn. Either of these worth pursuing, or do I just save my money for the draft.
I wouldn't make either of those trades

hoosierdaddy

#19 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Thanks. Just checking.

hoosierdaddy

#20 Post by hoosierdaddy »

Alright, Braun is back, so I am planning on keeping him now.
I have:
Braun $40
McCutch $36
Ramos $1
Heisey $10
Alonso$5
Kimbrel $6
Minor $1
Jurjjens $1

Would it be wise to move Minor for a $8 Huston Street.

Captain Hook

#21 Post by Captain Hook »

hoosierdaddy wrote:Alright, Braun is back, so I am planning on keeping him now.
I have:
Braun $40
McCutch $36
Ramos $1
Heisey $10
Alonso$5
Kimbrel $6
Minor $1
Jurjjens $1

Would it be wise to move Minor for a $8 Huston Street.
I wouldn't because you already have Kimbrel and while Street will have a nice home park, there are still the questions of how long will he hold up or will he be flipped during the season for more prospects?

hoosierdaddy

#22 Post by hoosierdaddy »

thanks

hoosierdaddy

#23 Post by hoosierdaddy »

What about a $9 Jordan Zimmerman

Captain Hook

#24 Post by Captain Hook »

hoosierdaddy wrote:What about a $9 Jordan Zimmerman
What about him?

hoosierdaddy

#25 Post by hoosierdaddy »

$9 Zimmerman for a $1 Minor

Captain Hook

#26 Post by Captain Hook »

hoosierdaddy wrote:$9 Zimmerman for a $1 Minor
Well its a question of how you want to approach the draft
Zimmermann (two ns at the end) is a much better pitcher and would give you a small profit ($15/9 on current projections vs salary)
Minor is obviously not as good but a nice value for $1 ($3/1)

Do you want more money in the auction or do you want to pay a small premium for the better pitcher?

The other thing in Zimmermann's favor is the fact that Atlanta has major league ready arms waiting in the wings, so he might have a very short leash.

hoosierdaddy

#27 Post by hoosierdaddy »

One final question on keepers.
I have been offered Cain $20 and Garza $10 or Bumgarner $10 for Kimbrel $6. All the top pitchers are pretty much being kept. I have Minor $1 and Jurjjens $1 and possibly Lyles $1 (I'm not crazy about Lyles though). Should I just hold Kimbrel and mine for potential up and coming arms or get a couple solid starters. I keep leaning toward Kimbrel, but I don't want to be blinded by wanting to keep Kimbrel

Captain Hook

#28 Post by Captain Hook »

Just say NO

No reason to trade a cheap STUD closer

hoosierdaddy

#29 Post by hoosierdaddy »

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

Wrigley

#30 Post by Wrigley »

I posted this in another thread back before Braun got off(list is a little different than the original thread)

12 team 5X5(OBP) w/1 EACH(C,1B,2B,3B,SS) 4(OF) 2(UTL) 7(P)
Salary: $18

Our keeper values are based on where each player is drafted, with a players value increasing by $2 each year they are kept.($ is this years keeper value)

C: J Montero(1)....hope he can get enough games under his belt to qualify at C
1B: L Berkman(2)
2B: D Espinnosa(2) D Ackley(1)
SS: Y Escobar(1)
3B: R Zimmerman(5) A Ramirez(4)
OF: SS Choo(6) N Cruz(6) R Braun(5) H Pence(4) D Brown(2) B Harper(2) J Francoeur(1) M Trout(1)

P: D Price(4) M Scherzer(4) H Kuroda(3) J Jurrjens(2) I Kennedy(2) E Santana(2) V Worley(1)
J Teheran(1) A Vizcaino(1) A Aceves(1)

I've really got no idea what I'm going to do.

Bolded=who I'm thinking of keeping....Harper is a tough pass if he makes the club out of ST

Lots of bats being kept this year, Pujols is being kept at $11(WOW)

Whatcha think? I'm open to changing this up.

Captain Hook

#31 Post by Captain Hook »

Wrigley wrote:I posted this in another thread back before Braun got off(list is a little different than the original thread)

12 team 5X5(OBP) w/1 EACH(C,1B,2B,3B,SS) 4(OF) 2(UTL) 7(P)
Salary: $18

Our keeper values are based on where each player is drafted, with a players value increasing by $2 each year they are kept.($ is this years keeper value)

C: J Montero(1)....hope he can get enough games under his belt to qualify at C
1B: L Berkman(2)
2B: D Espinnosa(2) D Ackley(1)
SS: Y Escobar(1)
3B: R Zimmerman(5) A Ramirez(4)
OF: SS Choo(6) N Cruz(6) R Braun(5) H Pence(4) D Brown(2) B Harper(2) J Francoeur(1) M Trout(1)

P: D Price(4) M Scherzer(4) H Kuroda(3) J Jurrjens(2) I Kennedy(2) E Santana(2) V Worley(1)
J Teheran(1) A Vizcaino(1) A Aceves(1)

I've really got no idea what I'm going to do.

Bolded=who I'm thinking of keeping....Harper is a tough pass if he makes the club out of ST

Lots of bats being kept this year, Pujols is being kept at $11(WOW)

Whatcha think? I'm open to changing this up.
It's a KEEPER league so IMO you have to keep

Montero $1
Ackley $1
Harper $2
Trout $1
That leave you $13 for your other keepers and I would keep
Braun $5
Price $4
I. Kennedy $2
Lots of combos or players for the final $2 but I would keep Teheran and Francouer

Montero will get enough games at C (you don't say what is needed) but it may take a while so keep that in mind but you can play him at UT until then

hoosierdaddy

#32 Post by hoosierdaddy »

I am struggling in keeping Alonso $5 over $44 Hanley. I know the money is huge difference, but if I were to have Hanley, I would own 3 of the top NL only hitters. I know that cost is there, but I am a believer that Hanley will bounce back. Please talk me out of this if I am just insane. I want to do what's best. I want to think that a $5 Alonso and cheaper player can add up to Hanley's numbers, but I am struggling to see that. Votto will be the only big gun out there (unless I toss back Hanley) and he will go north of $50 and would not surprise me if he goes over $60 with inflation.