Justin Morneau

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

Justin Morneau

#1 Post by aburt19 »

Rotoworld is reporting that Justin Morneau in an interview with MLB Network said that he is still dealing with the effects of
his concussion. It is reported that he talked about being a half second slow in recognizing pitches and that it seems like the
he's late in swinging at pitches.

I was thinking that after last season his auction price might be low enough to take a gamble on him. After reading this,
it looks like it's not a good gamble to take.

Captain Hook

Re: Justin Morneau

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Concussions (multiple concussions in Morneau's case) can be difficult injuries to recover from and the greater emphasis and awareness will hopefully prevent someone from being exposed to more danger before they are ready. Sad with a good hitter like Morneau but it appears he has a long way to go

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I don't think ironic is the best word, maybe unfortunate, but even that is not exactly right, but when you do musical chairs with the Twins AB in lieu of this news, the obvious first reaction is "cool, Mauer can play more 1B."

Then you go to backfill his catcher at bats but...

Ryan Doumit is a risk due to....

recurring concussions
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

And then you throw Denard Span into the Twins equation to boot.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

deansdaddy wrote:And then you throw Denard Span into the Twins equation to boot.
I don't think he is thrown into it, he is a major part of it. Revere, Span and Willingham should get the bulk of the playing time.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Todd Zola wrote:
deansdaddy wrote:And then you throw Denard Span into the Twins equation to boot.
I don't think he is thrown into it, he is a major part of it. Revere, Span and Willingham should get the bulk of the playing time.
I just threw out Span as another player on the roster who now has a concussion and post-concussion symptoms on his ledger.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

got it

RandyKutcherHair

#8 Post by RandyKutcherHair »

I just read that the Twins are thinking about starting Morneau at DH and Chris Parmalee at 1B. If that works out it will significantly cut into playing time for Doumit who was looking like a nice AL sleeper.

deansdaddy

#9 Post by deansdaddy »

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point as no one is going to be locked in anywhere in that lineup from day to day. Doumit wasn't ever going to be an everyday guy anyway, and I still think he's going to get his 4-6 starts a week. The Twins HAVE to keep both Mourneau and Mauer healthy - so they both will be given days off (mourneau will get even more days off early on I suspect), getting Doumit in the lineup. Parmalee also will play some OF, so that's more PT. It's something to keep an eye on I guess, but I don't think I'd downgrade Doumit that much at this point. He can play C, 1B, OF and DH - he will be fine.

The biggest news here is that Parmalee makes an interesting late round buy, possibly more than just Mourneau insurance.