Gio just traded....A's plan on being a AAAA team in 2011

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Gio just traded....A's plan on being a AAAA team in 2011

#1 Post by CubFan »

According to ESPN's Keith Law, the Athletics have agreed to trade Gio Gonzalez to the Nationals for prospects A.J. Cole, Brad Peacock, Derek Norris and Tommy Milone.

That makes for Gio, Cahill, Wilingham, DeJesus now gone with Crisp and Matsui not likely coming back and Bailey having one foot out the door. They are going to have a very weak team in 2012.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

WillRoy
Major League All-Star

Re: Gio just traded....A's plan on being a AAAA team in 2011

#2 Post by WillRoy »

Hate to say it but speaking as a huge As fan, with the poor stats of the hitters you mentioned they were already terrible. I don't really mind this firesale at all. They have real problems and I liked the cahill haul.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
Storrs City Chess Company

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

The thing about Billy Beane is you really never know what he is going to do.

Would it really surprise if he now takes some of these Minor Leaguers and deals them for MLB ready talent? Not saying it is going to happen, but it is in Beane's MO to do that.

Or (more likely) they sign a bunch of semi-reclamation projects, hope a couple of them turn into trading chips and he further builds up a farm system. I think Beane has to take an objective look at the Rangers and Angels and realize there are not enough stats in the sky to align so he can compete this season.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

NorCalAtlFan
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by NorCalAtlFan »

Beane has made so many poor decisions over the years, that he was almost due to get something right. These last 2 trades are very good for the A's. I think Sabean regained the mantel of worst baseball GM in the Bay Area. Well done Billy.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

NorCalAtlFan wrote:Beane has made so many poor decisions over the years, that he was almost due to get something right. These last 2 trades are very good for the A's. I think Sabean regained the mantel of worst baseball GM in the Bay Area. Well done Billy.

Thats a crown Sabean never gave up. ;)

NorCalAtlFan
Major Leaguer

#6 Post by NorCalAtlFan »

while that statement is hard for me to argue, Beane has been atrocious for years and vastly overrated. With these last 2 trades, he is regaining some of the luster he had lost.
Either way, Beane and Sabean are both closer to the bottom than they are the top.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

NorCalAtlFan wrote:while that statement is hard for me to argue, Beane has been atrocious for years and vastly overrated. With these last 2 trades, he is regaining some of the luster he had lost.
Either way, Beane and Sabean are both closer to the bottom than they are the top.

There has been a "moneyball" lash back on BB it seems like. A sort of "what have you done for me lately." Somehow I just think if you gave BB 118-130 million to work with and someone like Bonds in your lineup OR in later years a rotation like they have now...the results would have been better overall for the Giants.

NorCalAtlFan
Major Leaguer

#8 Post by NorCalAtlFan »

no Moneyball backlash. I am neither a Giants or A's fan, just someone who resides in the Bay Area. I just don't think Beane has been held accountable for the multitude of poor trades, signings he has made. But again, these last 2 trades look pretty solid for him. And with their imminent move to San Jose, things appear to be looking up for him and the A's.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

regardless of feeling about Beane, those were two Excellent trades to replinish the A's system at higher levels while they pare their salary and hope to get ready to move to San Jose

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

Count me among those who think Beane has done well here. Granted time will only tell the tale, but the boatload of prospects he has accumulated is impressive. He also has restocked with pitchers who have very good K potential. Maybe it's just me, but I think he did particularly well in getting as much as he did for Gonzalez. Gio is a nice pitcher, but would it surprise anyone if his career took an Oliver Perez turn for the worse. That would of course be an extreme case, but look at the numbers and you see why it is a very real possibility.

Since he’s become a permanent member of the A’s rotation, Gonzalez’s 4.09 BB/9 ranks as the highest in baseball. That's pretty wild boys. His K rate has been good enough to mitigate the overall results, but if he can't upgrade his command, he's just not going to reach Elite status. And on the filp side, if his command regresses more (like Jon Sanchez's last year) then things could get ugly.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#11 Post by SteveB »

deansdaddy wrote:
Since he’s become a permanent member of the A’s rotation, Gonzalez’s 4.09 BB/9 ranks as the highest in baseball. That's pretty wild boys. His K rate has been good enough to mitigate the overall results, but if he can't upgrade his command, he's just not going to reach Elite status. And on the filp side, if his command regresses more (like Jon Sanchez's last year) then things could get ugly.

agreed 100% i was wary of drafting him too early because of his high number of walks.