Angels Sign Albert Pujols 10-Year, $250 Million Deal

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Angels Sign Albert Pujols 10-Year, $250 Million Deal

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - it's been announced.

Pujols headed to the AL West to join the Angels.

An era in St. Louis ends and a new one begins for the greatest hitter of his generation.

Love to hear what people think about the deal for all those involved.

Captain Hook

Re: Angels Sign Albert Pujols 10-Year, $250 Million Deal

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

I think it is obviously great for Pujols and for the Angels who will now go head to head with Texas at an even higher level. It may well be good for the Cardinals as well - we really don't know about their finances but if they couldn't afford to resign Pujols then they couldn't and they will be better for not having overspent.....that said I think they could have signed him last year even if for fewer years but they didn't for whatever the reason.

Other winners are all the teams in the NL Central who won't have to face him eighteen times this year

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Selfish SOB that I am, I'm just hoping that we get a little insight as to how this impacts Morales, Trumbo, Abreu, Wells and even Conger.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#4 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Selfish SOB that I am, I'm just hoping that we get a little insight as to how this impacts Morales, Trumbo, Abreu, Wells and even Conger.
A lot of that may depend on the health of Morales. If he's not healthy, that will break the logjam a little bit.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Honestly? I think he is the odd man out, his health will more dictate the means.

That said, there are other ramifications as well, most notably Trumbo and either Wells/Abreu.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

aburt19
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: AL only 5X5 keeper auction

#6 Post by aburt19 »

Todd Zola wrote:Honestly? I think he is the odd man out, his health will more dictate the means.

That said, there are other ramifications as well, most notably Trumbo and either Wells/Abreu.
Intersting. I assumed that if Morales was healthy enough to play, he would get the lion's share of the DH AB. I figured that
Trumbo would be the most likely to lose AB as I don't buy that he will be successful at 3B. Also given Trumbo being under
team control for the longest, I would think that he has value as a trading chip.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

aburt19 wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:Honestly? I think he is the odd man out, his health will more dictate the means.

Intersting. I assumed that if Morales was healthy enough to play, he would get the lion's share of the DH AB. I figured that
Trumbo would be the most likely to lose AB as I don't buy that he will be successful at 3B. Also given Trumbo being under
team control for the longest, I would think that he has value as a trading chip.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.
Here's my thinking...

I admit, I am swayed by Perry's contention that Morales may not be ready opening day plus even if he is, it is just a red flag for me that he took so long to get back.

Now factor in that I think Scioscia likes to use the DH spot to rotate guys, keep them fresh (even before the Wells/Abreu logjam) and I suspect he would prefer not to have the locked down by a guy with no position, unless Albert needs a day off.

The Angels are looking scary. They are in a position to get a 3rd baseman with a better glove than bat which of course is not as costly.