Bryce Harper

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Bryce Harper

#1 Post by viper »

Not a fantasy question per se but one from a Nats fan in Virginia.

I am curious as to what those of you that saw him in Arizona think of him with respect to probable call-up dates and how good he is likely to be. Everything in papers here is obviously tainted and I am curious about outsider's opinions. My personal take has been he will get that "cup of coffee" call-up in September and will be in the starting lineup in 2013, possibly batting second.

Also, since he has a major league contract, does that change how long the Nats can keep him in the minors or when his arbitration dates start. Or maybe when he can actually become a free agent. I know they must keep hi on the 40-man roster but what other "actions" are required due to his major league contract.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Bryce Harper

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

The important question as you say Mike is when will Harper arrive in a lineup in Washington.
Actually the GM said yesterday that Harper WILL be give the chance to make the Opening Day lineup despite most thinking that he really should have a stint at AAA and then force a callup. So to some degree it depends on what the Nats do at 1B because adding anyone of note moves Mike Morse back to the outfield and how all the OF candidates play in the spring. Spring training for the club will be a "live" audition and while Harper at age 19 will have to significantly outplay the older Washington outfielders, he has been doing that since he was about 14.

The odds are that he is not in the opening day lineup but anyone who saw him on that fifteen game tear where he hit almost .400 last month "sees" the light and the tunnel a'int that big. If he starts the year at AAA it will be a conflux of OF play in Washington and how much Harper lights it up at Syracuse. I would expect his arrival after the All Star game...........if not in March