Speculating on 2012 Closers

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
joe_random

Speculating on 2012 Closers

#1 Post by joe_random »

i'm out of contention in my dynasty league and i feel that closers are my biggest weakness. hoping for some educated guesses on middle relievers who might be closing in 2012.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Speculating on 2012 Closers

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

You have the usual suspects in Bard (Bos) and Gregerson (SD). It would not shock me if Motte (StL) finally gets and keeps the gig. Other than that it is a total crapshoot and really depends on how valuable the keeper spots are to you. Of all positions, I would worry least about closers and take fliers elsewhere, then get closers as they emerge, either in the spring or in-season, but you know your league best and what should work best.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Unless you have a clear ascencion on a team/organization I agree with Todd - do NOT worry about closers now - so many situations change in the off season with trades and free agent signings that a guy you pay to acquire now won't even be in the conversation in March.

Look at Seattle where Brandon League took over because of injury - but we don't know for sure that Aardsma won't be back - if so I like Josh Lueke but why wouldn't the Mariners just continue with League?

Closers don't usually climb through organizations but IF that is going to happen you may see it in September and then add that guy (Kimbrel, Storen to your list)

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

One more thought if he is not owned - David Hernandez of the Diamondbacks