AL-Only: Wakefield, Furbush or Hunter

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
special k
Major League Veteran

AL-Only: Wakefield, Furbush or Hunter

#1 Post by special k »

Tight AL-only standard 5X5 pennant race, wins, WHIP, Ks and ERA all in play.
Which one of Wake, Furbush or Tommy Hunter would be the best choice?

Or should I keep Hunter and hope Francisco slides by six or seven other teams to me on waivers, and that he reclaims the closer job? Furbush and Wakefield are on second-week waivers and I can snatch them to replace Hunter at any time, but that would mean my one waiver claim allowed per week would be gone before Sunday's deadline.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: AL-Only: Wakefield, Furbush or Hunter

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

If there were only a site that provides in-season projection updates for a reasonable price....

Oh wait, I found one, US!

I don't think you could have chosen three closer pitchers.

if K's are in play, I may go Furbush.

You can't project wins, but Wake obviously has the best chance at wins if that is the deciding factor,

So for me, they are close enough in ratios that it is

Need strikeouts? Furbush
Need wins? Wakefield
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I go for the one that pitches in the best home park = FURBUSH

special k
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by special k »

This is insanely difficult. I am 1.5 points out of first, 1 K away from picking up a point, tied for first in wins with a four-win lead over second. .004 away from losing a point in WHIP, and .002 away from losing a point in ERA.
And Furbush has the Rangers on the road on Monday ... ouch!
The alternative is to protect WHIP/ERA with Pestano, a FA, but that would mean only four starters in 5X5... and there is some, but not a lot of upside in those categories.
Felix, Romero, Colon, Carrasco, Hunter, Downs, Aceves, Walden and Gregg right now, should pick up a point in saves, (Offense is killing - got A. Cabrera and Peralta for a combined $6 at SS, and listened to you and gave Gordon another chance. Also listened on Kila, but can't win them all. Some day ARod will even return.)
Anyway, since wins are such a crap shoot, and you project Hunter to have the best ERA/WHIP, why Furbush? I agree on the home park. Is it just the Ks, or is it the upside? Or the AL East for Hunter? Wake does scare me, could blow up at any time (i'm a fan, but...), so it does boil down to keeping Hunter, or grabbing Furbush or Pestano, I think.
At least I got rid of Pineiro ...

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

My choice of Furbush is almost equal parts of
+ home park
+ K rate
+ remaining schedule
- for Hunter v AL East
- for Wakefield with scare potential
- K rate for Wakefield
- ERA/WHIP blowup potential of Hunter & Wakefield

Pestano would certainly me a "safer" Week 19 play but the you should lose out on a SP
I guess the question is do you have a bench? Grab BushFur and sit this week?

Another good, likely cheap alternative this week would be Hasanori Takahashi on the speculation he takes the spot in the Angels rotation (although next week that would be @ NYY)