Prado returning - who to release?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Prado returning - who to release?

#1 Post by viper »

10-team, NL only, standard 5x5 categories. This is a no bench league.

I have a four in SBs. The five has 78. I have 65. Behind me are a 61 and two 53s. The 61 has Rollin, Werth and Schafer as SB threats. My main guys are McCutchen & Bartlett. I'm an eight in average with no immediate downside [up by 0.005 over the next team] but within 0.002 of a ten.

Prado is coming off the DL right after the all star break and obviously must be activated. My two options are Furcal & Carroll. Carroll is a big time average only player. He has no speed or power. RBIs are foreign to him and his runs are below average. Furcal is an injury waiting to reoccur but is a better player when healthy. To date, his average is barely above the Mendoza line. He too has no power (HR or RBI). Batting 2nd, he should score more runs and he can provide a few steals but probably not enough to add at most one category point for the rest of the season. The MB projections have Furcal as a $13 player and Carroll at $6. BBHQ is $18 and $7 respectively.

In spite of all this, I am inclined to release Furcal. My caveat is the possibility of Carroll losing playing time.

The league pays the top four spots and my team is in 4th within twelve of 1st. This is in spite of losing time from my #1 pick (Pujols) and my #2 pick (Zimmerman).

Whomever I drop will assuredly be picked up immediately.

I have until next Friday to make the move as both the Dodgers and Braves are off the Thursday after the ASB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Prado returning - who to release?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Personally, I think releasing Furcal is overthinking things. I prefer to manage on what can go right and not what can go wrong and Furcal is the better player.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I would agree with Todd ... if Furcal's available, who has a job and who doesn't? At best Carroll is a platoon with a guy who caught lightning in a Coca-Cola bottle this year. I'm not a big Miles fan - but he is in the midst of a career season.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

me3 - play Furcal and hope for the best - he can contribute a lot more than Carroll

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#5 Post by alleyoops »

Maybe trade Furcal and Carroll for a real player?

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

"Maybe trade Furcal and Carroll for a real player?"

Nice idea but not realistic in this league with these owners. The same basic group plays in four leagues. To date there have been 28 trades or an average of seven in each league. Most owners are pretty savvy and don't trade for essentially empty stats. There are a couple of teams that could use Furcal but there isn't any team that would want both. Most, like I was, are waiting for better player to return from the disabled list.

No, my problem was who to keep and Furcal seems to be the man. I do have until Friday to do something as neither LA or ATL plays Thursday.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer