better keeper: Rasmus or Harper?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

better keeper: Rasmus or Harper?

#1 Post by mjlewis »

I'm in 6th place in my 12-team NL-only (5x5 using OBP). Players need to be extended in year 3 of their contracts for an additional $5 a year.

I can probably do something like Anthony Rizzo ($10/year 1) for Carlos Pena ($a lot), which seems like a no-brainer if I'm playing for this year. I can probably also do Brett Jackson ($5/year 2) for Cory Luebke ($20/year 1 -- see below). Both of those have absolutely no keeper value. Here's the part that is tempting me more than it should: Colby Rasmus ($15, expiring in 2013) for Marlon Byrd ($14/year 1) and Bryce Harper. Harper would be $15 but year 1 wouldn't be until next year and his salary wouldn't count against me until he reached the majors. Should I even be thinking about this?

I almost certainly can't make it to first or second, but we pay down to 4th and even 3rd is achievable.

- Mike

(The owner who got Luebke in the initial draft had a lot of money left over due to a bit of mismanagement and was getting annoyed about being pushed on players he didn't think other people should want, and he ended up with a $19 Cashner and $20 Luebke. It was amusing at the time.)

Captain Hook

Re: better keeper: Rasmus or Harper?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Rasmus vs Harper is a funtion of time
2011 - all Rasmus
2012 - likely closer than most people think
2013 and beyond - ALL Harper

Which trade you make depends on how much of a shot you think you have - if you want to go for it now, try and cash AND get Harper, then make all three

Personally, I would make the Rasmus for Byrd/Harper trade and Jackson for Luebke trade and wait on making the Rizzo for Pena trade until you had a better view closer to the trade deadline

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: better keeper: Rasmus or Harper?

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I like the Harper deal as well, if for no other reason, if the stars align and you make a move, you can deal him for even MORE help.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord