Need advice on pitching rotation strategy going forward

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
tybs

Need advice on pitching rotation strategy going forward

#1 Post by tybs »

10 team, 5 x 5 roto league w/daily lineup changes. Can use up to 8 pitchers per day. I am currently in 7th place in saves, -7 from 6th, -11 from 4th and 5th, -18 from 3rd, +6 over 8th. My RP's are Farnsworth, League, Salas, Venters and Broxton (DL). I have been stashing Broxton in my only DL slot, but his recent setback now has me questioning that strategy. The only closer who is currently available and in the role semi full time is Francisco, whose peripherals are a disaster. My SP's are King Felix, Lee, Haren, Beckett, Nolasco, D. Hudson and Harang (MLB DL and stashed on my bench). I'm wondering if it's time to settle for the 4 points in saves and move on? Two owners behind me punted saves long ago. The 8th place owner has gone with 2 closers all season until recently adding Bastardo, but that was obviously a short term move. I am doing well in the other pitching categories considering that some owners (due to their roster management strategies) have many more IP and I have 40 points combined in the 5 hitting categories. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: Need advice on pitching rotation strategy going forward

#2 Post by viper »

Personally, I would ditch Broxton, move Harang to that slot and get the best ERA/WHIP/K starting pitcher available. When Harang returns, I would drop someone and add Harang back into my daily SP rotation schedule. At some point I would release another closer for another ERA/WHIP/K SP. I realize there won't be any above average guys available but, depending on you add/drop rules, you should be able to maximize starts without damaging your ERA/WHIP.

You could maybe gain a point or two in saves if you concentrated there but there are no guarantees. More likely you would stay where you are whether you add or drop a closer. Relative to saves, Venters isn't helping there but he is big positive in the ERA/WHIP categories and gets Ks mike a lesser level SP and not like a normal MR/closer.

I am facing a similar situation in one of my AL-only leagues. I have Farnsworth, Valverde and Rauch. Rauch is now out of favor but there aren't any real alternative out there right now. As soon as I see one, Rauch will go unceremoniously canned.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

I agree 100% with Viper - and depending on how active your league is, you may be able to get a guy like Luebke, just moved into the Padres rotation (to replace Harang who should replace Broxton)

tybs

#4 Post by tybs »

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. Luebke is a FA. Other FA ERA/WHIP (not necessarily K) SP's are Niese, Dickey, Bailey, Garcia and Vargas. Who would your top 2 be? I'm a little leery of Niese since he left his last start early. I think Vargas may be the best because he pitches in a favorable park and division.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

Luebke and Vargas

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#6 Post by viper »

I added Luebke just before his start last week. I'm taking a chance with him in my NL-only.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer