Which AL player to pick up?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Which AL player to pick up?

#1 Post by Tampa Bob »

10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. Old school drop rules (DL, minors or NL only) uhntila Free Drop Day at the All-Star Game (July 12).

C: Posada , Torrealba
1B: Dunn 3B: Longoria CI: Teixeira
2B: Kendrick SS: A. Everette MI: Ellis
OF: N. Cruz, Brantley, Quentin, Matsui, Markakis

SP: Haren, Scherzer, Pineda, Pineiro, Ogando
RP: N. Feliz, Bailey, Santos
DP: P. Coke (SP) - FA (DL)

Minors: D. Jennings, J. Montero, J. Turner, M. Montgomery, K. Gibson

Just made a trade for Markakis with Coke as a throw in. Our Designated Player (DP) can be either a hitter or pitcher. He is on the DL so I can elect to pick up any available player.

I am a distant 3rd. Hitting hasn't panned out (Posada, Longoria, Cruz, to name a few). Pitching is holding its own. I have 33 pitching points but only 18 in Hitting with a 2 in Avg and SB, 6 in RBIs and 8 in HRs.

Even though Longoria, Kendrick and Cruz are back (maybe - Longoria just tweaked something), I am inclined to get a hitter.

Pitchers available are Freddy Garcia, Phil Hughes, Kyle Davies, and the standard 7-8th inning guys.

Top Hitters are (in my ranking of preference as I write this):

Endy Chavez, Ben Revere, Brent Lillibridge, Nolan Reimold, Wilson Betemit, Franklin Gutierrez, and (holding my nose) Edwin Encarnacion.

I have Revere over Lillibridge because if he fails he'll be sent packing and I can pick up someone else. Otherwise, whoever I get I have to keep until 7/12.

What do you think of this ranking?

Thanks ~ TB
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Captain Hook

Re: Which AL player to pick up?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

How long do you have to make a pick?
And do you have a priority for now?
When are weekly free agents for your league?

The reason I ask those (aside from curiosity) is that IF Brett Lawrie is available and is going to be activated any day (they delayed from Friday because of the bruise from being hit by a pitch on Tuesday) then he might be an obvious first choice......

But....from your list, I definitely think Endy Chavez is the pick

While I sympathize with your point on Revere and while he should get playinng time until Kubel is back, Lillibridge (with 2B and OF eligibility) has been hotter than a firecracker and is forcing Ozzie to play him more and more (Dunn and Rios sucking also helps)

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

Our stats start on Mondays so if I don't choose tomorrow I lose a week of stats.

Lawrie was chosen in our Minor League portion of the auction/draft (auction for majors, draft for minors). The first place team owns him.

Ours is an old school league and allows only 1 position - last year's most active position. Lillibridge then, is only a 2B for my purposes.

BTW, it's off message but thanks for recommending Pineda this spring. You know your shit which makes me kind of sad about your high opinion of Lawrie.

TB
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

your list of available players looks a lot like mine. I am in two 10-team AL-only leagues. As a contingency to Endy, I would think the hot Lillibridge. His ABs are not full time but he is hot and should continue to get ABs at least in the short term. If he get a better PT gig, he could be considered as an Ellis replacement. I realize that does not help your SB quandary but it is still too soon to count your eggs in the other categories. For my part, I am still in the best overall producer mode rather than looking at specific categories. I want to maximize ABs but in "-only" leagues, I find myself sacrificing ABs when they are at a very low average like Ellis.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by Tampa Bob »

Viper, Ellis is one of those guys where it hurts to look at their stats every day but at the end of the year you think, "eh, he did okay for a MI". Sadly, that may not be the case this year. MORE sadly, I cannot drop him until the All-Star game (free drop day). My option is to find an owner with a 2B on the DL and trade for him.

My only issue with "hot" players is that hot fades and then I'm stuck with a 4th OF until July. Then again, July is approaching quickly.

I think I'll take a shot at Endy and see how it comes out.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I think Endy is short term safest, Reimold is the dart throw at upside and Gutierrez is the Mark Ellis of OF in that by the end, you say, I can live with that.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Bob;

I would choose Endy for three reasons:
  • Borbon got spanked for not paying attention in class
  • This is the best offensive lineup Endy has ever played for and it just may be rubbing off - he may be seeing good pitches because he's viewed as a weak link
  • Adam Rosales just started a rehab stint for the As
Any way - good luck with it ...dbk
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams