To Javy or not to Javy

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

To Javy or not to Javy

#1 Post by viper »

Another should I keep him question.

NL-only, IP replaces Ks. No bench so you cannot wait for a while. The team has pitching problems and Javy is a major part. The league emphasizes starters so there are always several high quality MRs available. The thing is IP is a category and 1100 is the minimum. That said I do have seven SPs right now and Homer Bailey is on my DL. My other two are Lyon & Kuo. This is a redraft league. Enough for all the stuff the MB staff wants to know.

SP options available for Sunday FAAB are Lohse, Wolf, Morton, LeCure, Leake, Marquis, Volstad & Zito.

1. I can keep Javy and wait to do something when Homer returns.
2. Cut Javy for another SP - but then who? Each add costs real $ towards the prize fund so streaming is out.
3. Cut Javy for a solid MR. Then decide when Homer is back.

My general tendencies would be option 1 but I am pretty convinced Javy is not going to get all that much better. I am curious what Todd figures his rest-of-year projections will be.

Thoughts appreciated.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: To Javy or not to Javy

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

viper wrote:Another should I keep him question.

NL-only, IP replaces Ks. No bench so you cannot wait for a while. The team has pitching problems and Javy is a major part. The league emphasizes starters so there are always several high quality MRs available. The thing is IP is a category and 1100 is the minimum. That said I do have seven SPs right now and Homer Bailey is on my DL. My other two are Lyon & Kuo. This is a redraft league. Enough for all the stuff the MB staff wants to know.

SP options available for Sunday FAAB are Lohse, Wolf, Morton, LeCure, Leake, Marquis, Volstad & Zito.

1. I can keep Javy and wait to do something when Homer returns.
2. Cut Javy for another SP - but then who? Each add costs real $ towards the prize fund so streaming is out.
3. Cut Javy for a solid MR. Then decide when Homer is back.

My general tendencies would be option 1 but I am pretty convinced Javy is not going to get all that much better. I am curious what Todd figures his rest-of-year projections will be.

Thoughts appreciated.
Option 2 for me
a) would pay to get rid of Vazquez
b) while LeCure has pitched VERY well his fate may be tied to Bailey so you are in better position there for a future decision

Morton and Lohse have also pitched very well so far and are secure in their rotation spots so I would also prefer them to Javy

SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: To Javy or not to Javy

#3 Post by SteveB »

I like Perry's advice here. McClure makes the most sense to me because he is doing well,has a nice k/bb ratio right now and the Reds are scoring a lot of runs in support. plus if Bailey takes longer than advertised you still have the spot covered. Lohse is hot right now and would take a chance on him and hope he keeps it rolling. He has had benefited from some nice match ups and in the next few weeks i like the teams he will be playing against. In the short term i see his nice start continuing. Morton is also hot but 12 walks makes me very leery...I think he is just a start or two from an implosion if he keeps that walk rate up.