Rehab Rundown

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
deansdaddy

Rehab Rundown

#1 Post by deansdaddy »

A lot of us drafted injured players knowing we would have to wait for them to retrurn. Others have been hit early with injuries. Thought it might be a good time to check in with some of the rehab news. In shallower leagues it is possible a couple of these names (esp the P's) might be sitting on your WW. Any other news anyone else has - feel free to share.

-Grady Sizemore is progressing in his rehab and is on track to rejoin the Indians sometime next week. Michael Brantley, who has been manning CF while Sizemore has been out will slide over to LF and send Austin Kearns back to the bench.

-SF OF Andres Torres will apparently avoid the D.L. and could be back in the lineup this weekend.

-1B Kendrys Morales is progressing in his rehab, running on the fiels for the first time since early March. He seems on track in his rehab and we may get a firmer timetable later this week.

-Mets OF Jason Bay is still at least 2 weeks away in returning from his rib cage strain.

-Twins 2B Tsuyoshi Nishioka was walking and playing catch without crutches, which is good news. However, he is still weeks away due to his leg fracture. Still, he looks like he will make it back sooner than expected and is worth stashing for now it would seem.

-Evan Longoria hasn't had any setbacks in his rehab and is still on track to return from his oblique strain at the end of the month.

-Oriole SP Brian Matusz threw without pain from 60 feet on Monday. He could join the team sometime next week to continue his rehab, but looks like he will be ready to go when May rolls around.

-Reds SP Homer Bailey is scheduled to make two rehab starts starting this weekend. If he doesn't have any setbacks he could be back before the end of the month.

-OF Corey Hart hopes to go out on a Minor League rehab stint and return to the Brewers on April 22nd.

-Andrew Bailey has been playing long-toss and appears close to heading out for his own rehab assignment. Brian Fuentes will continue to close while he is out.

-Franklin Guttierez has lost 15 lbs. with his still undiagnosed stomach ailment. He could go on a rehab stint soon, but you have to wonder how long it will take him to build up strength again.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

Re: Rehab Rundown - 4/13

#2 Post by SteveB »

couple of players on my teams that i am watching....

Jair Jurgens P ATL currently on a rehab assignment looks like he may be back next week

Ryan Zimmerman 3B wash I am hoping will be back by May 1st. Ab strains are a little scary cause they can linger and either zap a lot of
the power OR they can be restrained easily if he tries to come back to fast. right now reports say if he feels better in a few days or so then rehab
will be avoided.

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Andres Torres hitting the DL after all with his achilles issue.

Zach Greinke will finally start his first rehab game. I'm hearing he'll pitch 3 rehab outings before he comes back.

momige
Major Leaguer

#4 Post by momige »

Thanks Daddy.

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Things have been quite hectic around my house of late.

These are exactly the kind of posts I need right now.

Great post Ryan! Thank you.

southpaw

#6 Post by southpaw »

I've seen reports that Bay has progressed and could be activated on Tuesday. Also, Grady Sizemore looks to be joining his club either today or tomorrow.

deansdaddy

Re: Rehab Rundown -

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

You are right - Sizemore is back and will be leading off for the Indians today.

Also:

-Frank Francisco should be back for Toronto this week sending Jon Rauch back to a setup role.

-Johnny Cueto was sent out on a rehab assignment.

-Arod left Saturday's game with back/oblique tightness. Hopefully just a day-to-day thing - but you will want to check this one out.

-NYM P Chris Young has been placed on the DL with bicep tendinitis. Todd Zola fav Dillon Gee will fill in for 1-2 starts and has a chance to show the Mets that he belongs in the rotation. You might want to take a shot on him in NL only league if he is unowned._

southpaw

#8 Post by southpaw »

Ryan - do you think Gee is worth a flyer in WCOFB/NCFB FAAB this week?

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

southpaw wrote:Ryan - do you think Gee is worth a flyer in WCOFB/NCFB FAAB this week?
not Ryan, but yes if you are desperate for a start Gee should face the Diamondbacks at home this week

deansdaddy

#10 Post by deansdaddy »

I'll agree with Captain here - worth a shot, but I would try to get him cheap. He should be under the radar a bit still.

deansdaddy

#11 Post by deansdaddy »

4/19

-If you've been holding onto David Aardsma (like me) he will have 3-4 rehab appearances this week. If all goes well he could be back up with the M's sometimes next week.

-Victor Martinez strained his groin in Monday's game and could be headed for to the disabled list. He is going to be evaluated today.

- Homer Bailey cleared the first hurdle with a solid 5 innings of scoreless ball in his 1st rehab stint in AAA. He threw 62 pitches and will up that number to 80-85 in his next outing. If all goes well he would be on track to make his 1st start around April 27th.

-The A's placed SP Dallas Braden on the D.L. with stiffness in his throwing shoulder.

-Justin Duchscherer has been moved to the 60-day disabled list. He won't be ready until late May at the earliest and the Orioles needed room on the 40 man roster.

-Erik Aybar should be activated tomorrow when he is eligible to come off the D.L. - it should be noted that Maicer Izturis played his 10th game at SS yesterday and add that to his 2b/3b eligibility.

-Brandon Morrow should be activated to make his season debut sometime later this week. He hasn't been real sharp in his rehab starts and you may want to wait before throwing him in your lineup.

-As expected, Toronto activated Frank Francisco from he DL. He likely takes over the closer duties from Jon Rauch immediately.

Wrigley

Re: Rehab Rundown

#12 Post by Wrigley »

Looking for any info you an muster on my "DL" team

Ryan Zimmerman
Rajai Davis
Andres Torres
Andrew Bailey

I know they aren't on the DL(yet)

Kevin Youkilis
Justin Morneau

Seems that I've got another injured players every morning.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Zimmerman

DAVIS

Torres

Bailey

Youkilis - this could be a means of keeping Lowrie in the lineup over the weekend

Morneau
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Wrigley

#14 Post by Wrigley »

big thumbs up, thanks Todd

deansdaddy

#15 Post by deansdaddy »

4/27

-Domonic Brown is heading out for a rehab stint in A ball today. He is saying he is nearly 100% back from surgery on his hand. He'll get a couple weeks of rehab, but Mid-May is looking like the target date for him to rejoin the Phillies.

-Joel Pineiro (shoulder) will throw a bullpen session Wednesday before being reevaluated Thursday. If he passes the test, he'll be activated and take Matt Palmer's spot in the rotation.

-J.J. Hardy (oblique) didn't report any discomfort after swinging a bat Monday for the first time since going on the disabled list. This is good news if you've been holding onto the SS. He's likely two weeks away.

-Johnny Cueto (triceps) faired much better in his second rehab start, tossing 4 2/3 scoreless innings on three hits and no walks while striking out three. He wasn't very efficient (83 pitches) but he still took a big step forward in his recovery. He'll get at least one more rehab start before the Reds decide whether or not to activate him.

-Teammate Homer Bailey is going to get one more rehab start himself this week. He pitched really well in his last rehab start and it looked like he was going to be a go this week, but the Reds decided to give him one more rehab start to build up more stamina.

-Carlos Carrasco said Tuesday that an MRI on his right elbow came back "perfect." He was pulled from his last start with elbow tightness, but this is great news for the Indians and fantasy owners. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Indians take the safe route and skip his next scheduled start this weekend. He is supposed to throw a bullpen session today and if it goes well, there is a chance he will still get that start on Saturday.

-Logan Morrison had the cast removed from his badly sprained ankle. He said he expects to return on target, which could be the second week of May.

-Hong-Chih Kuo (back) was only able to retire one of the five batters he faced in a minor league rehab appearance with High-A Rancho Cucamonga on Tuesday night. He was working on back-to-back nights for the first time in his rehab, so this was not good news. It was thought he might get activated this weekend but this result could scuttle those plans a bit.

-Joe Mauer (leg/viral infection) will not be coming off the DL list when he is eligible. Right now, there is no real timetable for his return.

-Angel Pagan (oblique) has traveled to the Mets Spring Training facility in Port St. Luce to begin his rehab assignment. Oblique injuries are tough to gauge and the Mets will likely takes a cautious approach with Pagan. Hopefully he can be back when his 15 days are up.

-Phil Hughes underwent four hours worth of tests on his fatigued throwing arm Tuesday. The Yankees are just trying to rule any underlying problems out. They really don't know what is causing the "dead" feeling in Hughes arm. I actually took a shot on him in a couple leagues where other playing dropped him - but it looks like I will be doing the same myself this week. He's not going to be back anytime soon if at all this year.

-Andrew Bailey took another step forward yesterday, throwing 35-40 fastballs in a bullpen session. He should progress to facing some live hitters later this week and hopefully get back to closing games in early May.

-David Aardsma is much closer to being activated, as he completed his 4th rehab outing. He has had mixed results and with Brandon League pitching so well, I doubt he takes over full control of all save opps on his return.

-Andres Torres still isn't running on his injured Achilles and won't be close to returning until he clears that hurdle.

-Evan Longoria on the other hand should be heading out to a rehab stint this week and I would be shocked if he isn't back in the lineup by next week. Cross your fingers and pray for no setbacks.

-Rajai Davis was supposed to be activated today, but got hit on the wrist in his last rehab game. He should be back in time for the weekend.

-If you have been holding out hope for a return be either Brandon Webb and/or Jake Peavy - you may want to turn the page. Neither pitcher looks close to returning to action anytime soon. Webb in particular, as he struggled to top 84 mph in his last outing.

deansdaddy

#16 Post by deansdaddy »

5/4

-Kendrys Morales has really taken a step back in his recovery. He still hasn't done any running or taken any batting practice. It is looking like he might not be back until June at this point and that may be optimistic. Definitely disappointing if you were counting on him being back by now. Keep an eye on the situation, but the time is coming that you actually have to consider dropping him depending on your league size. If you have DL spots, go ahead and stash him. In 12 team leagues, I think I would move on.

-J.J. Hardy took batting practice the other day and is going out on his rehab assignment tomorrow. If all goes well, he could be back in the lineup by next week. I drafted Hardy in a bunch of leagues as a MI, looking for some cheap power at that spot. He was a late round gamble who I still think has a chance to put up some decent numbers when he gets back in the lineup. If you need some more pop in your lineup, there is a good chance that Hardy is sitting out on your wire right now. I'd take a chance on him coming off the DL.

-If you have been waiting on Brian Matusz to make it back to the Oriole rotation, then you will have to wait a little longer. The Orioles are being extremely cautious with him, but he will make a start on Saturday in extended ST. After that he would need 2-3 rehab starts to build up arm strength. He won't be back until the end of the month. I've been holding him in my DP league, and with Harrison and Vazquez to drop if I need to make a move, I will likely try to wait this out.

-Homer Bailey and Johnny Cueto will both be rejoing the Reds rotation this week. Bailey bumps Sam LeClure back to the bullpen and Cueto looks like he will be taking Mike Leake's spot. Good news for Travis Wood's owner's since it looked like he might go until Leake got blasted in his last start.

-Kevin Youkilis has been banged up a little lately. The side effect here is that it has given Jed Lowrie time at 3B and he is close to getting to 10 games at 3B, which would give him that eligibility to go along with his 2B/SS.

-Carlos Carrasco and Mitch Talbot both are on track to rejoin the Indians rotation when they are eligible to return. Alex White will get at least another start til then, and he could be a sneaky grab for those owners in leagues where minor leaguers don't become eligible until called up. He looked pretty good in his first start and I have no doubt that he will be up and pitching full time for the Indians when the magic wears off for one of their many soft tossers.

-Victor Martinez is back off the DL. Get him back in your lineups.

-Logan Morrison hasn't had any setbacks in his recovery. He looks on track for a rehab assignment sometime next week and will return to action soon after that. Think Mid May at this point.

-Carlos Lee looks liked he dodged the DL after his nasty collision last week. Jason Bourgeois has been filling in, and makes a nice short term add for speed deprived teams. Lee could still land on the DL, so it is possible that JB could have more value going forward.

-Joe Mauer is finally resuming baseball activities. Still no timetable for his return, but at least he is making progress. If you own him all you can do is wait it out.

-Good news for Angel Pagan owners (like me). He is out on his rehab assignment and should be activated on Saturday. You will get to take a look at him before deciding whether or not to get him into your lineup next week. His speed will be a welcome addition to the Mets and to your fantasy teams. He was 4-4 in SB attempts when he went down.

-Andrew Bailey keeps clearing the hurdles in his rehab and looks ready to return to action right now (come on Oakland!!!) Still, he will need to go out on a short rehab assignment, but should be back by the end of the month at the latest.

-Philip Hughes got some good news this week but still won't be returning anytime soon. 6-8 weeks is the conservative estimate.

-Pablo Sandoval had surgery on his hamate bone. He's going to be out for at least 4-6 weeks. Tough luck, since to old Panda was back and hitting well. E Burriss and Mike Fontenot should take over at 3B and SS. Burriss has SB upside if he can stay in the lineup. Miguel Tejada looks like he is toast.

-David Freese will miss 8-10 weeks with his own broken hand. The Cardinals are maiking due with Daniel Descalso, Allen Craig and Nick Punto for now. Allen Craig is the guy to go out and get. He should have 3B eligibilty sometimes in the middle of next week.

-Andres Torres is almost ready to return from his injury. Reports were he would be back on Friday, but now it seems he'll get a couple rehab games first. He could be back for Week 6.

-Neftali Feliz has looked good in his DL stint and is on track to be activated when he is eligible. He could be back early next week as well.

-Ryan Zimmerman is on the road to recovery from his abdominal sugery. It's going to be a long road and he likely will be out until the middle of June. Still Zimmerman is a tough cat - so I wouldn't be surprised to see him back a little sooner than that.

That's all I got for today. Feel free to add your own news to this thread or ask any questions about injured players anytime you want.

RC

deansdaddy

#17 Post by deansdaddy »

5/12

The big news today is Kendrys Morales needing more surgery on his ankle that will likely require him to miss the rest of the season. If you drafted Morales you can now safely cut him loose and move on. Hopefully you were able to scoop up Mark Trumbo weeks ago because he looks like he's going to keep the 1B job going forward. If you need to vent a little more feel free to head over to this thread to do so.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3096

Staying with the Angels, Vernon Wells has been placed on the DL with a strained groin. This is almost a blessing for his owners as now they don't have to suffer looking at his stats (or lack thereof) by starting him. Hopefully the time off will help get him back on track. The trade with the Blue Jays really looks bad at this point.

Jason Heyward is going to have an MRI on his right shoulder today. He says it has been bothering him since Spring Training, which likely explains his somewhat slow start. The Braves are saying they hope to have him back by the weekend, but they have to play it safe with the budding superstar. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him land on the DL instead.

The Brian Matusz watch continues for another week. He pitched well in an extended ST game and will take the next step with a rehab start on Monday. He is going to need at least 2-3 starts before the O's bring him back, but the end of May still looks like the likely activation point.

Geovany Soto landed on the DL with a groin strain but the club said it doesn't expect him to need longer than the allotted 2 weeks to recover.

Scott Rolen's status is still uncertain as his shoulder is still an issue. The real story here is Juan Francisco is heading out on a rehab assignment of his own and should be able to beat Rolen back. If he does he figures to become the regular 3B at that point. With Rolen's age and injury history Francisco makes an interesting speculative pickup for deep or NL-only leagues.

Grady Sizemore owners have been very pleased with the return on their investment this season as he has shown nice power since his return. They got a scare when he went in for an MRI on his knee this week. The good news is that it was not the knee he had surgery on last year. He jammed his other knee and the Indians were just being cautious here. Looks like he will be good to go again this weekend.

Carlos Carrasco made it back from injury this week and promptly got spanked in his return outing. He didn't show much strikeout punch and if you own him you need to sit him until he shows something I think. Mitch Talbot, who is also coming back from elbow tightness will make a rehab start this week and should return to the rotation if all goes well. The wild card here is rookie Alex White who has looked pretty good in his first couple starts. If Carrasco gets lit up again and White pitches well - you could see the Indians send Carrasco back down to work out the kinks. It bears watching and you could do worse than to stash White at this point if you have ML spots of a deep bench.

Logan Morrison should be activated from the DL tomorrow in time for this weekends games. Good news for his owners. If you have been using Emilio Bonifacio as a fill in - he will be heading back to a utility role.

Jason Bourgeois landed on the DL this week with an oblique strain. It was a tough break for the player and those who bought him last week as he was wreaking havoc on the basepaths and looked to have a bead on 2B eligibility which would have been a boon to his fantasy value. If you bought him, all you can do is wait this out - he will be back and running again in a couple weeks. If someone cuts him loose this week I would scoop him up and stash him if you can.

Bruce Chen has pitched really well to start the season and he has been a nice little fill-in for fantasy owners. Unfortunately he's landed on the DL. My advice is to cut him and grab the best arm you can. It was a nice little run for Chen, but let's face it this is not an elite talent and you likely don't want to clog up your roster with a player of his caliber.

HC Kuo has placed himself on the DL with a case of the "yips". Yikes, well he's had so many surgeries it is understandable I guess and he's had this before as well in 2009. Drop him. Time to speculate on Kenley Jansen perhaps.

Sticking with the Dodgers, we haven't talked about Rafael Furcal in awhile, but he is close to heading out on a rehab assignment and could be back by the end of the month.

Staying in the MI, Twins 2B Tsuyoshi Nishioka is getting closer to his own return. He has been working on his DP technique to avoid the type of play that fractured his leg in the first place. In any case, the Twins will get him back up as soon as the leg is strong enough and fully healed.

Angel Pagan had a setback in his recovery and looks like he will be sidelined for another couple of weeks with his oblique strain.

Andres Torres on the other hand made it back into the SF lineup this week. He may need a couple games to knock off the rust, but should be safe to activate for next week.

Jose Contreras threw a successful BP session the other day and is on track in his recovery. He could be back saving games by the end of the month.

David Aardsma had a big setback this week after being diagnosed with a Grade 2 strain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and heading off to see Dr. Lewis Yocum. This likely means surgery. If you took a flyer on Brandon League in your draft, congratulations, he looks like he will keep this job all year now. It's time to stop waiting on Aardsma - he's likely done for this year.

Adam Lind looks like he dodged a bullet this week. He looked like he was going to land on the DL with a bad back but has made a nice recovery thanks to some acupuncture. You can exhale now Lind owners.

Nelson Cruz has gotten his first DL stint of the season with of course a leg injury. It's his quad and not his hammy's this time and he should be back when his 15 days are up.

Jake Peavy made it back this week and pitched decently. He didn't get a W, but he wasn't terrible. The interesting story here is that Phil Humber didn't lose his spot in the rotation as the Sox will go with a 6 man rotation for now.

Ike Davis landed on the DL today with an ankle sprain. Daniel Murphy will likely slide over to 1B til Davis gets back.

That's it for today - as always feel free to add your own news or questions to this thread.