Jerry Sands

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Tig

Jerry Sands

#1 Post by Tig »

Some sites have him listed as an OF, others a 1b and it appears he's playing 1b in AAA. so, is the thought that the Dodgers are converting him to OF? if so, is it LF and what are the chances he contributes this year? if he can play LF, it wouldnt appear that there's much blocking him. (Gibbons, Thames).

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Jerry Sands

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

IMHO, you have to treat the Dodgers and Mets separately this year because of the financial messes they are both in. Sands is not on the 40 man roster yet - but Xavier Paul is. If for no other reason then to get another year out of Sands, I think they'd go with Paul and one of the two you mentioned unless they felt they were in a position to contend or the judge renders a favorable ruling to one of the Mc Courts by July. Another possibility is that they promote Tray Robinson from AAA and he gets a shot a left. I think 4 or 5 things have to happen before Sands gets a shot this year.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

OTOH, Sands doesn't cost much to activate this year - true as the kids says, the club ownership/finances might affect things but I doubt they prevent a move this small IF/when it is appropriate.

Another possibility that would Save money would be IF they could find a trade for Loney and then promote Sands to play first base. I expect both Robinson and Sands up some time this year - and they are both better than Xman (who I like as a hitter but his defense limits him)

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I stand corrected - looks like Sands get a chance to produce as long as Gibbons still has his eye problems (which really shouldn't be a mitigating factor any way)
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

One of the several reasons that the Dodgers called up Sands was that the combined output of LF's Thames/Gibbons/Gwynn/Paul was a .250 BAvg and zero home runs.

Hard to look at when you have a very promising youngster who hit 35 home runs (and fantasy players won't forget the stolen bases) last year and was hitting .400 at AAA with five home runs already.

See Rob's comment on Sands in Mastersblog today, but I think Jerry will be up for the balance of the year

The only sad thing is that he rose up the prospect ladder so fast after my offseason ranking with his continued exposure and good play in spring training that by the time we got to the draft tables for keeper leagues in April he was going in the first round of minor league drafts.

emoryup

#6 Post by emoryup »

Perry, count me amongst the sad people with regard to Sands. In a certain league that we are both in, I was drooling over the prospect of getting him in the Minors portion of the draft. Not to be. Calneva must be very happy right now.

He sure looked good last night. Mad Dog Tim Hudson welcomed to the Bigs in style with that pitch behind his head. He should've charged the mound.

Cheers,
Emory
Captain Hook wrote:One of the several reasons that the Dodgers called up Sands was that the combined output of LF's Thames/Gibbons/Gwynn/Paul was a .250 BAvg and zero home runs.

Hard to look at when you have a very promising youngster who hit 35 home runs (and fantasy players won't forget the stolen bases) last year and was hitting .400 at AAA with five home runs already.

See Rob's comment on Sands in Mastersblog today, but I think Jerry will be up for the balance of the year

The only sad thing is that he rose up the prospect ladder so fast after my offseason ranking with his continued exposure and good play in spring training that by the time we got to the draft tables for keeper leagues in April he was going in the first round of minor league drafts.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Sands has some nice numbers in the minors - but i keep in mind that he played in THE minors league hitters park in Albuquerque - and now, it's welcome to Dodger Stadium, Jerry. I hope he breaks the trend - for his sake - but how many Dodger can't misses came up through that very same railroad with all sorts of accolades only to find out the NL wasn't the PCL. I will say this (a loan from Fox to Mc Court notwithstanding) - I'm happy to see that the GM is running the Dodgers like a GM and not some sort of bean counter.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

da_big_kid_94 wrote: I will say this (a loan from Fox to Mc Court notwithstanding) - I'm happy to see that the GM is running the Dodgers like a GM and not some sort of bean counter.
And, unfortunately, due to Selig's upcoming announcement Thursday that MLB is taking over the Dodger finances, I may just stand corrected once more. Sad. Guess one should really clear their thirty million dollar "personal loan" from the previous owners with the commissioner first.