Ogando and Nelson Cruz....calling all doctors

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Ogando and Nelson Cruz....calling all doctors

#1 Post by CubFan »

Anyone concerned that this blister Ogando has now experienced in his two starts will be a problem going forward? I'm wondering if it's because he hasn't been conditioned to throw this many pitches at one time. My son played with a guy who is now pitching in the Texas system and had a blister problem for 3-4 years. They tried just about everything. He finally developed enough of a callus to withstand the high pitch counts.

As a Cruz owner I'm concerned that he has not tried to steal. I was afraid of this before the season started as I wondered if he and Ranger management decided he could better preserve himself by pulling in the reins as far as stealing bases goes. Has anyone come across any articles that mentioned anything like this? His value takes a good hit if he ends up stealing less than 5 bases and I may need to look to trade him.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Ogando and Nelson Cruz....calling all doctors

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

No concern at all ... after all ..... doesn't the all time leading authority on pitching blisters own the Rangers? I'm sure a truckload of pickle brine is on it's way to Ogando as we type.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

I am not worried about Cruz not having a SB at all. If you invested in Cruz (which I did in my most important league) you did it for the potential upside in the power department to go along with double digit steals. But he was never a true speedster and if you drafted him expecting a 30/30 season, you need to readjust the rest of your lineup and be happy that Cruz is doing what he does best - hitting home runs! I had Cruz projected for 15 sb's coming into the year and anything above that I will consider gravy. The news was out there all spring that he had changed his running style to hopefully protect the hamstrings this year and keep him on the field. This to me meant going in we knew he was going to run less - but if he can stay healthy and whack 40 hr's and drive in 100+ runs that will more than offset any dip in the sb department IMO. If he can stay healthy and do that - he's in Ryan Braun territory. He'll still steal some bases - but I'll take 10-15 situational steals from him if it means he stays off the DL.

So step back and look at other places in your lineup where you can add some speed.

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by CubFan »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:No concern at all ... after all ..... doesn't the all time leading authority on pitching blisters own the Rangers? I'm sure a truckload of pickle brine is on it's way to Ogando as we type.
Yeah, I've heard of using that and the guy my son played with tried that and it didn't work. Also tried leaving his hand in a bowl of rice. Didn't go to the extreme of peeing in his hands though. :)

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

deansdaddy wrote:I am not worried about Cruz not having a SB at all. If you invested in Cruz (which I did in my most important league) you did it for the potential upside in the power department to go along with double digit steals. But he was never a true speedster and if you drafted him expecting a 30/30 season, you need to readjust the rest of your lineup and be happy that Cruz is doing what he does best - hitting home runs! I had Cruz projected for 15 sb's coming into the year and anything above that I will consider gravy. The news was out there all spring that he had changed his running style to hopefully protect the hamstrings this year and keep him on the field. This to me meant going in we knew he was going to run less - but if he can stay healthy and whack 40 hr's and drive in 100+ runs that will more than offset any dip in the sb department IMO. If he can stay healthy and do that - he's in Ryan Braun territory. He'll still steal some bases - but I'll take 10-15 situational steals from him if it means he stays off the DL.

So step back and look at other places in your lineup where you can add some speed.
My expectations going in were like yours....around 15....which should average 1 every 16 games but for Nelson that is more like 1 in every 8 to 9 games. If he goes 20 games without attempting a SB I'll be convinced he won't get more than a handful. I also have Rajai Davis so every SB is now important to me and there is no one on the waiver wire....hence my concern about Cruz.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Stolen bases are mostly about opportunity. Texas has been pounding the ball which means less of a reason and/or opportunity to run.

Granted, he hasn't been getting on base, but Andrus has only one steal (and attempt) on the year while Kinsler is 1 for 2. Borbon has not even attempted one yet, though like Andrus, is not getting on base very much.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord