Tyler Chatwood

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

Tyler Chatwood

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

So I threw a $1 FAAB on Chatwood last night as I had a roster spot to spare in my AL-only league. I recalled seeing Perry had him ranked in the top quarter of his AL Long Term Prospects and Baseball America had him in their top 100. I also remembered Todd mentioning that the Angels had him on a fast track and had read Rob's write-up on him (Impact Pitching Prospects). I then looked at his minor league numbers, and noticed they are not so good.

Obviously the scouts love something about the kid and since I have never seen Chatwood throw (and am not a scout), I was wondering what these attributes may be. Strictly looking at his numbers, he appears to have trouble with his control (Rob mentions he lacks consistency with his secondary offerings).

I guess this question is directly mostly at Perry, since I am assuming you have had a chance to see him throw on a number of occasions. What are some good things to look for as we finally get a chance to watch him? What makes Chatwood rank so high among scouts?
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Tyler Chatwood

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

To put things in perspective with respect to his numbers, he just turned 21 last December so he is basically 2 years younger than the norm at each level.

I'll tag in Perry at al now 8-)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

Re: Tyler Chatwood

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

While I think Chatwood is being rushed to the majors, it is quite possible the Angels want to see him in a pressure situation early in the season to test him.

Now as far as what he brings to the table - a good sinking fastball that is generally low to mid 90s (I have seen 95 several times and 96 once). He has a very good curve ball which will be even better if he develops a change or cut fastball. Chatwood can miss bats and profiles as a middle of the rotation big league starter.

I like him a lot as a prospect. Picking him up in an AL keeper league if available and if the retention price were reasonable is a good spec. Not sure of how much we will see of him this year but that may be dependent on tonight's effort.

(PS - your guess as to who picked him up in AL TOUT this week?)