Any Strange Rules Out There.

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Any Strange Rules Out There.

#1 Post by viper »

Brian Walton suggested to me he was going to have an article on unusual rules. To date, it has not come to pass. So I thought I would start one.

My three auction leagues are more or less normal. They replace Strikeouts with Inning and none allow bench players but that is not unheard of. There only quirk is that if you acquire a player who is sent to the minor prior to the season you cannot place him on your reserve list. Reserves are only for DLed players and player who make the major roster but are subsequently sent down. For those three leagues you either sit with a non-productive slot or drop him. In season, all three leagues have one-game eligibility. When someone goes on the DL, you can generally manipulate your lineup so you can replace that player with just about anyone. FAAB is weekly although one is done Wednesday night while the others are Sunday evening.

My league that drafts this Friday has its own set of rules. It starts with 15-game eligibility from last year and also has one-game in-season eligibility. Drafting the Friday after opening week, there are a lot of multi-positional players. And that list is added to each day. Moves are daily but with no bench, this only means a DLed player can be replaced as soon as OnRoto designates him as DL. We let OnRoto drive who is available, who is injured, etc.

The biggest quirk about our daily move is that there is no FAAB. The team lowest in the standing that day get ALL their requests. The team in 9th place then gets all their requests. If four studs come up on the same day in late May, a single team can get them all. The bad news is that this team is in last place. This is actually how waivers are run by real baseball but I doubt it is the way many fantasy teams do it. I was in third place the day Strasburg was called up. I almost did not make a claim. Here in Washington, all of the bottom seven teams were not going to fail to make a claim.

Are there other equally odd rules out there?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer