2nd Auction and another odd early nomination

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

2nd Auction and another odd early nomination

#1 Post by viper »

Some of you may know that in the NL LABR auction, one team selected Tulowitzki, Hanley and Rollins right off the top. This certainly influenced the remaining bids on shortstops. My NL auction on Sunday did something strange in a polar opposite way. Understand that I missed the first 90 minutes of the auction. I left instruction for bidding with one person but only left them for about seven players. I figured I would do a spread the wealth auction for the first time in my life. When I arrived, the selections to date were loaded into my PC and I had a few minutes to see what had happened. I saw something totally odd. At the break I asked.

It seems the first nomination was Sir Albert. I had him at $43 with instruction to go up to $47. That bid was bumped to $48. The very second nomination was Jason Bartlett. My numbers had him at $11 and the 11th SS. He was nominated for $1 and it appears everyone went silent apparently waiting to spend money on the top four SS. Bartlett at $1 was the steal of the draft. Now I am not big on price enforcement but that was absurd. It's not like the league doesn't have a MI position. I know I would have pushed things to at least $7 or $8.

I have my second AL auction this Friday.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer