Stars and Scrubs vs. Spread the Waelth?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
crhense

Stars and Scrubs vs. Spread the Waelth?

#1 Post by crhense »

I have an NL Only auction draft this weekend and was wondering which approach works best?

Also what are the pros and cons of both?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Stars and Scrubs vs. Spread the Waelth?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

How many teams in the league and what are your roster requirements?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

crhense wrote:Also what are the pros and cons of both?
I generally always go stars and scrubs...

Pros

- Its really fun yelling "$40!!!"
- You can buy guys that you genuinely like this year
- Once everyone realizes what you're doing you can bid up people relentlessly
- Chance at hitting good keepers for next year, cheap!

Cons

- Better know your player pool inside and out for those $1 guys
- There is generally a middle period in the draft where you don't get to do much
- Injuries are scarier to your "Stars"
- You generally finish with a roster imbalance of some sort, meaning you'll need to be active during the season

I enjoy it, its worked for me. Won my league last year with Cabrera, A-rod (traded mid season for more pitching), and Felix. Going the same route this year.

crhense

#4 Post by crhense »

Todd Zola wrote:How many teams in the league and what are your roster requirements?
Todd there are 11 Teams in the League, each team keeps 12(some freezes, some tops), except first through third they keep 9, 10 and 11 respectively.

Rosters requirement are as followed:
2 Cs
1B
2B
SS
3B
MI
CI
5 OFs
9 Ps

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

With this set up, I think I would go stars and scrubs with hitting as there will be plenty of end game position players. I may look to spread the wealth a little within the pitching, but still save a couple of end game slots.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

whammer
Major League Regular

#6 Post by whammer »

Todd

Would you go stars and scrubs in AL league with same set up?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

whammer wrote:Todd

Would you go stars and scrubs in AL league with same set up?
Less likely to go S&S in AL because you really need AB. The NL has 2 more teams which means more AB in the end game. I like the high end pitching in the AL (Scherzer, Weaver, Verlander, Lester, Haren). I would aim for as many full time guys in the AL as possible.