How High to go on Utley

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
bxm701

How High to go on Utley

#1 Post by bxm701 »

Alright,

So I'm sitting here in the middle of a slow mixed auction and Utley is sitting on the board at $9 and the price isn't going up so far.

Should I go 10$? How high would you go?

I already have Cano and Weeks in my MI. So Utley would fill up my UTIL. Obviously it's not ideal to have a 2B in the UTIL spot but 10$ could be such a steal...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: How High to go on Utley

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

What size league is it and what type of player would you be able to replace him with if he is hurt?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Even Not knowing budget - I would still likely go higher than that.

bxm701

#4 Post by bxm701 »

it's a 12-team league and like I said - he would be in my UTIL so I could likely replace him with a pretty decent OF if he were out for an extended period of time.

bxm701

#5 Post by bxm701 »

deansdaddy wrote:Even Not knowing budget - I would still likely go higher than that.
Thanks for the reply. Around how high would you go (understanding my MI is already filled)?

bxm701

#6 Post by bxm701 »

Adding another wrinkle to this discussion...

Ortiz is sitting at $6 right now - drafting him would also lock up my UTIL for the remainder of the auction.

Votes: bump Utley to 10$ or Ortiz to $7 or neither?

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

Well - it does help to know who else is out there - are there any other names out there you like better than those two for that spot?

I think with whispers of surgery starting to surface I think it makes sense to let someone else take on the risk of Utley. Ortiz is fine unless you need some speed.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#8 Post by SteveB »

do you have an injured reserve list? I think i would be more likely to pursue Utley if i knew i could stash him to start the season.

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

I didn't read all the responses but my gut response is - as high as you want to piss away $$

johnd2442

#10 Post by johnd2442 »

as i'm sitting here looking at my chase utley for $50 (who i inherited!), and rumors that he's out for some time, i hope you didn't go too much higher.